Need help tracing old Campy component

David Lloyd

Guest
The Campag Super Record brakes on my 1985 Holdworth Professional are amongst
the few components that remain from when I originally built it. They still
worked brilliantly, and I have no desire to replace stuff just because
snazzier equipement has come on the market. Unfortunately, I noticed that
I've lost the lock-nut on the pivot, which is a killer. Either I find a
replacement locknut, or the brakes get replaced. Is there anyone out there
who has a old set of demic Super Record calipers and is willing to salvage
said part for me? Alternatively, does anyone know of somewhere that deals in
such backdated spares?

Please can we leave out the recriminations of the type 'you stupid plank,
you should have made sure it was tight'. I know, it is remiss of me, but it
is unusual.

Regards,
David Lloyd

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:29:44 GMT, David Lloyd wrote:

> The Campag Super Record brakes on my 1985 Holdworth Professional are amongst
> the few components that remain from when I originally built it. They still
> worked brilliantly, and I have no desire to replace stuff just because
> snazzier equipement has come on the market. Unfortunately, I noticed that
> I've lost the lock-nut on the pivot, which is a killer. Either I find a
> replacement locknut, or the brakes get replaced. Is there anyone out there
> who has a old set of demic Super Record calipers and is willing to salvage
> said part for me? Alternatively, does anyone know of somewhere that deals in
> such backdated spares?
>
> Please can we leave out the recriminations of the type 'you stupid plank,
> you should have made sure it was tight'. I know, it is remiss of me, but it
> is unusual.
>
> Regards,
> David Lloyd

If that's the cone-shaped one I made a replacement for the one that got
lost by <mumble> out of stainless - find a local model engineer. If it's a
domed one I'd just get a generic replacement.

On 11 Sep, 12:29, "David Lloyd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> ... Alternatively, does anyone know of somewhere that deals in
> such backdated spares?

Actually, yes:

http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/

Recommended: I sourced some new cones for a Record rear hub, which
continues to give good service some decades since I had the wheels
built...

OTOH, your locknut is probably a standard metric thread, so unless
you really want an original part you can probably get something to do
the job from a decent hardware shop.

Cheers,
W.

David Lloyd wrote:
> The Campag Super Record brakes on my 1985 Holdworth Professional are
> amongst the few components that remain from when I originally built
> it. They still worked brilliantly, and I have no desire to replace
> stuff just because snazzier equipement has come on the market.
> Unfortunately, I noticed that I've lost the lock-nut on the pivot,
> which is a killer. Either I find a replacement locknut, or the brakes
> get replaced. Is there anyone out there who has a old set of demic
> Super Record calipers and is willing to salvage said part for me?
> Alternatively, does anyone know of somewhere that deals in such
> backdated spares?

Isn't it just an ordinary nut?

If not, try www.campyoldy.co.uk

~PB

On 11 Sep, 15:50, "Pete Biggs"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> David Lloyd wrote:
> > The Campag Super Record brakes on my 1985 Holdworth Professional are
> > amongst the few components that remain from when I originally built
> > it. They still worked brilliantly, and I have no desire to replace
> > stuff just because snazzier equipement has come on the market.
> > Unfortunately, I noticed that I've lost the lock-nut on the pivot,
> > which is a killer. Either I find a replacement locknut, or the brakes
> > get replaced. Is there anyone out there who has a old set of demic
> > Super Record calipers and is willing to salvage said part for me?
> > Alternatively, does anyone know of somewhere that deals in such
> > backdated spares?

> Isn't it just an ordinary nut?
>
> If not, trywww.campyoldy.co.uk
>
> ~PB

Thanks for the replies guys. It is the tapered nut, and a do want a
pucker one. A standard nut will suffice until I locate the real think,
but in the end I want it to look good and keep the dirt out like the
original one did.

I did know of www.campyoldy.co.uk, but thought that this would have
been too old. I'll give them a try.

David Lloyd (at work)