Need help w/mental training

marimba_artist

Sep 22, 2003
I have great fitness and some good races under my belt this season (collegiate circuit), but I struggle most staying focused and confident when the racing gets tough. Are there any reading materials out there that might help me? I imagine there is some sports psychology books available, but any catered to endurance athletes/cyclists? If you've struggled with these problems, what did you do to overcome them?

What you need is a mental skills training program. These skills include goal setting, self-talk, imagery and relaxation. There are several good sport psychology text books available...Personally, I would recommend Foundations of Sport & Exercise Psychology published by Human Kinetics. This particular book is easy to read and clearly outlines the theories and practices of the above mentioned skills.

But, it is important to realise that just reading a book is not the solution. Mental skills training is just as tough and difficult as physical training. Therefore, in order to really maximise the benifits of training your mental skills you really need to practice them everyday. And, to ensure that you stay on the right course and avoid any pitfalls you should also consider speaking to a sports psychologist.

Good Luck,

Scott

I just browsed through the first chapter of the book you have mentioned: Sports Psychology for Cyclist" by VeloPress on Amazon. And, despite the authors' apparently high credentials this book appears to be just plain old hype aimed at recreational cyclist.

I have been studying exercise & sport psychology for the last two years, and in my opinion it takes more than control over your breathing to become a mentally compentent/skilled athlete. And, your mind is more than a tv set. Yes, controlled breathing can be used to acheive relaxation off the bike, but it is not going to get you very far on the bike.

According to McArdle et al. (2001), "Conscious manipulation of breathing usually disturbs the exquisitely regulated physiologic adjustments to exercise. Attempts to modify breathing during general physical activities such as running offer no benifit to exercise performance. At rest and during all levels of exercise, a healthy person should breathe in the manner that seems most natural."

Plus, I am not too sure how topics of bike fit, fluid replacement, heart rate monitors, new equipment and how to safely ship a bicycle fit in with sports psychology. It just sounds like they did not have enough of their own waffle to fill a book cover-to-cover, so they filled it with some completley unrelated material.

I guess if anything it will make for some entertaining reading...lol!!!

So once again, if you are really serious about your mental game don't go looking for it in some book. Go and talk to a credible and experienced sports psychologist that can help you identify areas that are relevant to you.

Scott

P.S. Just because a book is published by VeloPress doesn't necessarily gaurentee that it is going to be excellent.

"Strong Minds, Stronger Bodies" or something like that by Dr. Randy Strossen.

Originally posted by marimba_artist
I have great fitness and some good races under my belt this season (collegiate circuit), but I struggle most staying focused and confident when the racing gets tough. Are there any reading materials out there that might help me? I imagine there is some sports psychology books available, but any catered to endurance athletes/cyclists? If you've struggled with these problems, what did you do to overcome them?

I think any psychological inadequacies would be easily remedied by several girls standing along the route in bikinis with signs that read "Free BJs for first 5 to finish". You might see some TDF caliber riding in a race like that.

I think any psychological inadequacies would be easily remedied by several girls standing along the route in bikinis with signs that read "Free BJs for first 5 to finish". You might see some TDF caliber riding in a race like that.

Originally posted by memphiscyclist

LMFAO!

I think it is ( forgive the spelling ) "Go-shen-no-ru" The book of five rings very famous book on the samurai fighting mind.

You won't make much sense out of it, but you may begin to realize, hopefully, that wimps loose.