Need help w\ shifters on Raleigh Record Sprint..

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Rogue Warrior, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. I have a Raleigh Record Sprint that I am "restoring" (HAH!;-), OK, well more or less just fixing up
    so I can ride it. There is one downtube shifter (spell?) that is missing on the left side (front
    derr) The brand is Suntour and the right side lug is round, and the left side lug is a sort of
    squared-off circle on two sides. What brand/type of shifters would fit this bike? I am looking to
    bike "on a budget" and my local bike shop told me that he could get some for $30 installed. Is that
    a rip-off, or a good price? Thanks in advance to all who reply...

    Tags:

  2. Someone who didn't wish to reveal his or her identity wrote:

    > I have a Raleigh Record Sprint that I am "restoring" (HAH!;-), OK, well more or less just fixing
    > up so I can ride it. There is one downtube shifter (spell?) that is missing on the left side
    > (front derr) The brand is Suntour and the right side lug is round, and the left side lug is a sort
    > of squared-off circle on two sides. What brand/type of shifters would fit this bike? I am looking
    > to bike "on a budget" and my local bike shop told me that he could get some for $30 installed. Is
    > that a rip-off, or a good price?

    That's a bargain! Actually, rip-offs are very rare in the bike biz; crooks generally favor more
    lucrative enterprises.

    Even when you might have problems with a bike shop, it's much more likely to be due to incompetence
    or laziness, rather than dishonesty.

    Sheldon "Not Like The Camera Business At All!" Brown
    | It is undesirable to believe a proposition when | there is no ground whatever for supposing it
    | true. | --Bertrand Russell |
    +-----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. Sam Bixby

    Sam Bixby Guest

    ive still got my old shifters at home, i will try to find out the make for
    u...

    panda

    "Rogue Warrior" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Raleigh Record Sprint that I am "restoring" (HAH!;-), OK, well more or less just fixing
    > up so I can ride it. There is one downtube shifter (spell?) that is missing on the left side
    > (front derr) The brand is Suntour and the right side lug is round, and the left side lug is a sort
    > of squared-off circle on two sides. What brand/type of shifters would fit this bike? I am looking
    > to bike "on a budget" and my local bike shop told me that he could get some for $30 installed. Is
    > that a rip-off, or a good price? Thanks in advance to all who reply...

  4. Panda

    Panda Guest

    having checked they appear to be sachs remets or somesuch.