Need help w\ shifters on Raleigh Record Sprint..

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rogue Warrior

I have a Raleigh Record Sprint that I am "restoring" (HAH!;-), OK, well more or less just fixing up
so I can ride it. There is one downtube shifter (spell?) that is missing on the left side (front
derr) The brand is Suntour and the right side lug is round, and the left side lug is a sort of
squared-off circle on two sides. What brand/type of shifters would fit this bike? I am looking to
bike "on a budget" and my local bike shop told me that he could get some for $30 installed. Is that
a rip-off, or a good price? Thanks in advance to all who reply...

Someone who didn't wish to reveal his or her identity wrote:

> I have a Raleigh Record Sprint that I am "restoring" (HAH!;-), OK, well more or less just fixing
> up so I can ride it. There is one downtube shifter (spell?) that is missing on the left side
> (front derr) The brand is Suntour and the right side lug is round, and the left side lug is a sort
> of squared-off circle on two sides. What brand/type of shifters would fit this bike? I am looking
> to bike "on a budget" and my local bike shop told me that he could get some for $30 installed. Is
> that a rip-off, or a good price?

That's a bargain! Actually, rip-offs are very rare in the bike biz; crooks generally favor more
lucrative enterprises.

Even when you might have problems with a bike shop, it's much more likely to be due to incompetence
or laziness, rather than dishonesty.

Sheldon "Not Like The Camera Business At All!" Brown
+-----------------------------------------------------+
| It is undesirable to believe a proposition when | there is no ground whatever for supposing it
| true. | --Bertrand Russell |
+-----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

ive still got my old shifters at home, i will try to find out the make for
u...

panda

"Rogue Warrior" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a Raleigh Record Sprint that I am "restoring" (HAH!;-), OK, well more or less just fixing
> up so I can ride it. There is one downtube shifter (spell?) that is missing on the left side
> (front derr) The brand is Suntour and the right side lug is round, and the left side lug is a sort
> of squared-off circle on two sides. What brand/type of shifters would fit this bike? I am looking
> to bike "on a budget" and my local bike shop told me that he could get some for $30 installed. Is
> that a rip-off, or a good price? Thanks in advance to all who reply...

having checked they appear to be sachs remets or somesuch.

panda

"Rogue Warrior" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> that a rip-off, or a good price? Thanks in advance to all who reply...

Status
Not open for further replies.