Need help - Wheel broken, can it be repaired?

bleu

May 12, 2005
Hi,

I was out riding the other day and my front wheel (Mavic Ksyrium Elite) accidentally touched the bike in front of me as he moved in to my way. The result was 5-6 loose spokes and 3 of them I had to break of, just to get the wheel spinning and see if I could ride back home or not.

So my question is, is it possible to repair this front wheel or do I have to buy a new one? :( In case of repair, how much would it cost do you think?

bleu said:
Hi,

I was out riding the other day and my front wheel (Mavic Ksyrium Elite) accidentally touched the bike in front of me as he moved in to my way. The result was 5-6 loose spokes and 3 of them I had to break of, just to get the wheel spinning and see if I could ride back home or not.

So my question is, is it possible to repair this front wheel or do I have to buy a new one? :( In case of repair, how much would it cost do you think?

You should be able to have the wheel re-built. Assuming it isn't seriously bent and all of the spoke holes are in good shape. Regarding cost, it will likely be $2-4/spoke + $30-50 labor.

johntp said:
You should be able to have the wheel re-built. Assuming it isn't seriously bent and all of the spoke holes are in good shape. Regarding cost, it will likely be $2-4/spoke + $30-50 labor.

Thanks. That's not bad, I'm gonna take the wheel in to the repair shop tomorrow morning and see if they can fix it then. The wheel itself is fine and not bent, the only problem is that 3 spokes are completely missing and a few others are loose so naturally the hub is somewhat skewed because of this. The spoke holes look OK to me. The three holes for the spokes that are missing actually have small bits and pieces of the spokes left hanging on to it.

Will be OK to repair if the rim is not damaged but expect a bigger bill, the Kysirium spokes are pricey things, I think in the UK they are over £10 each...

Cheers

Just a quick follow-up to my post. I tried to get it reparied today but the guy said too much of it was broken. Too bad.. but I ordered a new Ksyrium wheel ('05 model) on the net so I'll have it in a week or two.