Need help with: 2009 Specialized Sworks Tarmac SL2 Road bike

pyrider

Apr 27, 2012
I've just gotten into biking. I've ridden a grand total of 30 miles. But I really enjoyed it. I currently have a very low end hybrid (bought it used for 200$ on craigslist).

I'm now looking to buy something nicer. I'm 5'5. I recently came across a used specialized sworks custom bike. I know next to nothing about bikes. It's about 16lbs. I'm getting the bike for 2100$.

Is this a good deal? I've attached pictures of the bikes. Does it look like it has not been used much?

Thanks,

2009 Specialized Sworks Tarmac SL2 Road bike. 50cm frame size (20 inches from center of crank to top of seat tube) Campagnolo Carbon Record Group Set. MAVIC CD Ceramic rims w/ titanium bladed spokes. Hope Bottom bracket and hubs. Specialized carbon fiber seatpost, seat, handle bar and stem Has less than 100 miles.

Attachments

• DSC_8072.JPG
    DSC_8072.JPG
    786.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_8074.JPG
    DSC_8074.JPG
    644.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_8080.JPG
    DSC_8080.JPG
    645.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_8069.JPG
    DSC_8069.JPG
    686.5 KB · Views: 16
A nice bike for sure... but there doesn't seem enough carbon on the Campag Record components for it too be a recent Record groupset. I think Record had carbon cranks starting back in 2004/2005.

But the price is pretty good - the big decider should be "does it fit?" If it doesn't then move on...

$2100 is right in the price range for a Cannondale SuperSix on a closeout deal.

http://mikesbikes.com/product/12cannondale-supersix-5-compact-129985-1.htm - for example.

I own a Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod and have ridden an SL2 and I much prefer the SuperSix frame. The SuperSix frame is the same as the one used by LiquiGas to win the Tour of Italy a couple of years ago and a predicesor to the current SuperSix Evo.

The 9-speed cassette and older cranks with square-taper interface show that this is a 2008 frame built up from older components.

It's a nice bike, it's very likely a good fit for you, but you're also likely to find the gearing a bit stiff for your fitness, and the cost of upgrading will be expensive.

I like the idea of the SuperSix. But there are lots of excellent bikes in the $2000 range from Giant, Trek, Scott, Felt, and even Specialized, that you can buy configured exactly to your needs.

Thanks. I've decided to pass for now. It seems bikesdirect.com has some great prices:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/grand_sprint_xii.htm

Have you guys heard of motobecane? It's got some nice components for 1200.

Mmmm, not too shabby. Just remember, for your riding pleasure you should have the bike professionally assembled. That can cost up to $100.

Not too shabby.