Need help with a bike choice

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Todd B, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. Todd B

    Todd B Guest

    I have a friend (really) who is looking for a bike and came to me for ideas. Im a mountain biker and
    he is looking for a more "city" bike, so Im not alot of help. He is a BIG boy (285 lbs) and wants a
    bike he can cruse around L.A. Wants to spend around $800-$1000. Wants a bike that will let him hop
    curbs, cruse through parks, take it along the "strand", carry stuff back from the store on a rack,
    ride a few miles to work (2-3) etc. Im thinking a steel hardtail mountain bike with city tires and
    good beefy rims? I do not know alot about this nitch of bike, any ideas and links would be great,
    Ill pass them along to him. Thanks Todd

    Tags:

  2. Piratelord®

    Piratelord® Guest

    Look at Haro Extreme X2. I'm 250 and have had no problems. Best bike for under $1200 IMO.

    "Todd B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a friend (really) who is looking for a bike and came to me for
    ideas.
    > Im a mountain biker and he is looking for a more "city" bike, so Im not
    alot
    > of help. He is a BIG boy (285 lbs) and wants a bike he can cruse around
    L.A.
    > Wants to spend around $800-$1000. Wants a bike that will let him hop
    curbs,
    > cruse through parks, take it along the "strand", carry stuff back from the store on a rack, ride a
    > few miles to work (2-3) etc. Im thinking a steel hardtail mountain bike with city tires and good
    > beefy rims? I do not know alot about this nitch of bike, any ideas and links would be great, Ill
    > pass them along to him. Thanks Todd

  3. Bj

    Bj Guest

    Kona Cinder Cone best bike for a G-note. ;-)

    "PirateLord®" <9klrdood9[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Look at Haro Extreme X2. I'm 250 and have had no problems. Best bike for under $1200 IMO.
    >

    > "Todd B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a friend (really) who is looking for a bike and came to me for
    > ideas.
    > > Im a mountain biker and he is looking for a more "city" bike, so Im not
    > alot
    > > of help. He is a BIG boy (285 lbs) and wants a bike he can cruse around
    > L.A.
    > > Wants to spend around $800-$1000. Wants a bike that will let him hop
    > curbs,
    > > cruse through parks, take it along the "strand", carry stuff back from
    the
    > > store on a rack, ride a few miles to work (2-3) etc. Im thinking a steel hardtail mountain bike
    > > with city tires and good
    beefy
    > > rims? I do not know alot about this nitch of bike, any ideas and links would
    be
    > > great, Ill pass them along to him. Thanks Todd

  4. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "PirateLord®" <9klrdood9[nospam]@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...
    > Look at Haro Extreme X2. I'm 250 and have had no problems. Best bike for under $1200 IMO.

    Todd, I do not think your friend need a full suspension bike. Haro does make a good quality entry
    level hardtail. It is called the Vector.

    You can put a cantilever rack on just about anything, but if he want's a traditional rack, you might
    want to do used. Bikes used to come with eyelets near the rear dropouts for a rack. It seems that
    the manufacturers have stopped doing this though.

    -Dave

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Todd B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a friend (really) who is looking for a bike and came to me for ideas. Im a mountain biker
    > and he is looking for a more "city" bike, so Im not alot of help. He is a BIG boy (285 lbs) and
    > wants a bike he can cruse around L.A. Wants to spend around $800-$1000. Wants a bike that will let
    > him hop curbs, cruse through parks, take it along the "strand", carry stuff back from the store on
    > a rack, ride a few miles to work (2-3) etc. Im thinking a steel hardtail mountain bike with city
    > tires and good beefy rims? I do not know alot about this nitch of bike, any ideas and links would
    > be great, Ill pass them along to him. Thanks Todd

    Tell him to buy an Electra cruiser.

    JD

  6. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  7. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    This is a 2000 large frame Mrazek hand made not a production line bike .Very nice large tubes with
    some nice curves .Get some good looks at the trailhead. Has Sram 9.0 shifters and derailer carbon,
    Avid brakes . Spin Spok2 wheels carbon pp spokes yellow rims .Mazochi z4 fork 2002 Riser bars USE
    sus seatpost WTB ti railed seat .800$ obo + shipping frame goes for that much.Bought a new bike this
    one is crying from not getting ridden. Going to put on ebay next thought Id give this group a try .
    [email protected] send me a offer in need to move it . Will let go cheaper with a set of xt /mavic
    222 rims choice of tires .

    --
    J/O Trailblazer At large !!