Need help with a derailleur - a newbie question but i have no idea!

Gazmondo

Apr 10, 2006
I somehow kinda bust my rear derailleur on my saracen awol (2005 model), i think it's the shimano altus.

I have bought a new one, but me being me, I thought one type fits all! (yea i dont really have a clue what im doing with bikes:p) and found out it doesn't fit. I think it's the way it attaches to the bike that is wrong.

I have found the exact one that I bust on eBay (i think) but i'm not sure whether it will fit or not, I have a picture of my broken one and I need to know what a certain part of it is called.

altus.jpg

It's the bit that the red lines are pointing to, it kinda snapped, but I'm not sure whether this new derailleur that I found has one of those with it, are they cheap to buy? As long as I can find one of those to fit the new derailleur onto I think i'll be fine.

Any help would be appreciated :D

It looks like what you broke was the derailleur hanger (part of the frame) rather than the derailleur itself. Often these are made to break more easily than the derailleur and be replaceable. What kind of frame do you have?

Frame? I'm not sure lol.

I know it's a saracen awol, 2005 model with front and rear suspension, 26" and it's a jump bike if that helps!

What size hanger would I need? I've seen they are short or long

Thanks for the replies!

And "531Aussie" did you post that because we're not allowed to post pictures? Or because you didn't know how to?

EDIT: That link that was posted didn't really help me .. confused me more than anything :confused: :confused:

Gazmondo said:
"531Aussie"......... :
I've been posting pics with the same code on other forums for ages, but I'm sure this section of Cycling Forums couldn't host pics the last time I tried.
thumb.gif

531Aussie said:
I've been posting pics with the same code on other forums for ages, but I'm sure this section of Cycling Forums couldn't host pics the last time I tried.
thumb.gif
Oh right, the pic is hosted on my webserver not actually on here!

Btw, does anybody know where I can find out what type of hanger I need for my saracen awol '05?