Need help with a late 70's peugeot ID

Max Sugerman

Jun 5, 2012
What up cyclers! I recently purchased a mid to late 70's Peugeot for a screaming deal, and had a friend tell me he was sure it was a PX10. That being said, I have done some research, and it doesn't seem to quite match the criteria of any PX10 models I can find (lugs aren't as intricate, and the back fork doesn't have any chrome on it.) I would love some input from someone who knows a little bit more about peugeots, because the bike is mostly original, and although I already love the **** out of this bike, I wouldn't mind flipping it for a profit if I can feasibly get a decent price for it.

Here is the bike, shown with a seat and pedals that I put on it. I have the original pedals and what I think is the original seat as well.

It could be a px10 but i can't see cranks can you post pic of them and/or brand/model, are there reynolds 531 sticker on the seat tube and forks? detail pics of them would help as well

FWIW. The PX10 designation was used for more than a decade ... and, my recollection is that the PX10 did have BLACK lugs one ([COLOR= #808080]or, two[/COLOR]) year([COLOR= #808080]s[/COLOR]) ...

BTW. The value is probably between $150-to-$600 ([COLOR= #808080]maybe more!?![/COLOR]), depending on the actual condition & the buyer's motivation ...

I think that vintage French bikes have a subjectively 'great ride' ... maybe, it's an acquired taste ... but, I think that your appreciation will grow as you ride it more ...

• so, I recommed that unless you are taller than 5'10" or shorter than 5'6" then you should probably keep it BECAUSE vintage French bikes have a ride quality (IMO) which can-or-should be used as the benchmark for how other bikes should ride ...
  • that is, even when you may have other bikes in the future, you will probably compare the ride to that of your Peugeot EVEN IF it isn't a PX10 ...

BTW2. Purist will pull their hair out when I say this, but it would be easy enough, IMO, to update the bike with conteporary shifters/etc. for less than $200 if you DIY ([COLOR= #ff0000]you could spend a lot more, too![/COLOR]) ... of course, if you keep the parts which are removed during the 'updating' then they can be put back onto the bike at a later date.

There are several non-PX-10 features on this bike--the TA crankset, straight-peg seatpost, 27" clincher wheels, lack of Reynolds 531 decals on the fork blades, and the lack of chrome on the rear stays. PX-10s did start losing the chrome stays, but not til well into the '80s. Really, the only components that could identify it as a PX-10 are the brake calipers and levers, bar and stem, and Simplex derailleurs, and these were not unique to the PX-10. The lug work looks nicer than a PA-10. I'm going out on a limb and saying it's a PR-10.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

I'm going out on a limb and saying it's a PR-10.
Good call. The PR10's lost the paint on the headlugs for the 1976 model year and beyond- so would be a model prior to that, unless someone added paint later.

I'm gonna say early 70's P10, PA10 or PR10

PR-10 or PY-10.

Are the fork blades seamed along the trailing edge (rolled & welded) or swaged, seamless tubing. The pre-1974 lower grade models 'sometimes' used the seamed fork blades.

531 plain gauge or butted main triangle?

Decals are mid-'70's or later IMO.