Need help with balance...

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by darkest_matter, Jun 22, 2003.

1. darkest_matter

darkest_matter New Member

Hi all...Im totally new here so pls be patient with me...

Ive been cycling for a fair number of months on a MTB...
    it seems that Im still having some problems with my balance especially on low speeds...I tend to swerve around a bit and this can get a little dangerous at certain times...

Its this a lack of confidence or a lack of skill?
    Other than cycling more, are there any spcific drills/routines that can help build balance?

Thanks...

Tags:

2. Shabby

Shabby New Member

It's probably both lack of skill and confidence, but its also easier to ride more smoothly when you're going faster. Yes, it will be dangerous, as it makes you unpredictable to motorists and other cyclists (you might notice that people give you a wide berth).

There are a few things you can do:

Ride more, concentrating on riding in straight lines. Learn to ride in a straight line while looking behind you.,

If you have a trainer, set it up in front of a mirror and try to minimise upper body movement, which could be a source of swerving.

Have someone look at your position and offer advice - your seat might be too high, your weight unevenly distributed.

3. sun-lover

sun-lover New Member

I had that problem too, I found a piece of non-threatening grass & picked a point about 10 metres away then rode as slow as I could towards it. Did it over & over trying to ride slower & slower each time, until I was at a standstill at times. Helped a lot with the balance.

4. MGSuarez

MGSuarez New Member

One of my favorite drills to do is the figure eight on a driveway. Start using the whole driveway then try to make smaller and smaller eights.

5. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

There are cycling training courses for kids. I know it sounds a bit crap but go allong and see what activities they do, reproduce these in your garden at home or join in with the Kids.

When my mum was away on trips my brother, dad and myself had an obsticle course that went through the downstairs of my house. You could try a similar obsticle course where there are tight turns and slow manouvers.

Also you often see kids on BMXs or trials bikes performing loads of skills, I'm not sure how old you are but consider asking them to teach you some balancing tricks. Who knows not only will you be riding slowly you might even get to do it on one wheel!!!!

6. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

I hope your mum doesn't read this forum...:eek:

Ric

7. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Or see the trails of mud on the carpet!!!

8. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

folks, don't try this at home; if you value your relationship with parents or partners!!

:eek:

Ric

9. CatSpin

CatSpin New Member

You can also cross train to improve your "core balance". In a gym you can usually find balance-boards (sort of looks like a skateboard on a rolling pin). Try working on one of these in addition to:

1. strait-back squats
    2. one legged squats
    3. sit ups
    4. back extensions
    5. any pilates or yoga

Your midsection is the core of your balance. As you brain fires off messages to shift your midsection weight in an effort to balance you on a bike, should these muscles not be toned, they do not react quickly or efficiently.

Try some cross-training with core-balance exercises in addition to your tactical balance work on the bike.

Good luck staying upright,

CatSpin

10. J-MAT

J-MAT New Member

Darkest_matter:

You need to learn how to balance your bike by doing "trackstands." This is from how track racers balance their bikes at 0 mph by turning the front wheel and balancing. You can do it standing or seated. Do both.

If you can balance at 0 mph, you won't have as many problems balancing at 2-3-4 mph. The most important way to handle a bike or motorcycle is not with a death grip or tight body. You have to stay loose and become part of the bike. Just chill out, relax, and focus on staying upright. Really relax yourself. It's the only way you can balance well, or handle rough terrain. People who ride "uptight" crash very easily.

Practice riding without your hands on the bars and practice doing wheelies also. When you can do all of these, your balance problems will be a thing of the past!!!

Good luck!!!

11. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

These are handy when your stopped at a red light, the trick is to turn your wheel towards an incline.

cheers

12. nferyn

nferyn New Member

It's also easier to balance on a standstill with a fixed gear. I can't manage to stand completely still on a normal road bike for more than 5-10 second on a flat road. It's much easier with a fixed gear. I've always found it easiest to balance getting out of the sadle, with knees and ellbows slightly bent and your hands in the drops

Niek