Need Help with Bike Setup

cPritch67

Apr 12, 2004
I recently purchased a Cycle-Ops PT 3000 indoor trainer and have ridden it several times a week for the last several months. I originally set it up so that it was similar in measurements to my road bike. Now, when ever I ride my road bike it feels that my positioning is significantly different - to the point where my legs feel almost awkward for the first few miles.

Would you agree that I am best setting up the two bikes as close as possible?

Observations:
The distance from the top of the saddle (at the seatclamp) to the center of the pedal spindle is about the same (less than 1/4" difference)

The saddle set back from the tip to the center of the BB is about 3.25" on my trainer, versus about 2.25" on my road bike. Could that 1" of difference be causing the odd feeling with my pedal stroke?

Part of the challenge is all of the variables; different pedals/cleats, different saddle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Some background: I am 38, fairly lean and have cycled for about 6 years. My flexibility has improved over the last few years and my

cPritch67 said:
I recently purchased a Cycle-Ops PT 3000 indoor trainer and have ridden it several times a week for the last several months. I originally set it up so that it was similar in measurements to my road bike. Now, when ever I ride my road bike it feels that my positioning is significantly different - to the point where my legs feel almost awkward for the first few miles.

Observations:
The distance from the top of the saddle (at the seatclamp) to the center of the pedal spindle is about the same (less than 1/4" difference)
The saddle set back from the tip to the center of the BB is about 3.25" on my trainer, versus about 2.25" on my road bike. Could that 1" of difference be causing the odd feeling with my pedal stroke?
Part of the challenge is all of the variables; different pedals/cleats, different saddle.
Thanks
Chris
Some background: I am 38, fairly lean and have cycled for about 6 years. My flexibility has improved over the last few years and my
I have been riding a very long time. 1/4" and/or 1" is a huge difference in terms of bicycle position. I make adjustments of 1/8" and find there can be a noticable difference in "feel" on a bike. I have 9 bikes 6 of them road and all somewhat different in style, some old English and Italian, and some new standard and compact. The one thing I can say is that when I first setup a bike I do it with several critical measurements like you do. Then, I spend 3 or 4 weeks of steady riding until the "feel" is "right" for me. As a consequence not all my bikes are identical in measurement, but identical in the "right feel" when I ride. Bikes are like a good pair of leather shoes, it takes a while to break in and when they do they feel good.
When you ride ask "how does the bike feel?" then make a small adjustment to make it feel better. After several adjustments you should feel more comfortable and less awkard. Eventually there should be no real difference in feel between the 2 and if there is let your road bike dictate the best "feel." No less than 30 miles will tell you when you are "right."

If you think I'm smoking something by this vague methodology I'm not. This is the way I have always "tweeked" in my bikes and I have owned over 50 bikes over the years I have been riding.

cPritch67 said:

Observations:

Thanks
Chris

My guess is that you got a bit "used to" the position of the trainer such that your road bike now feels a bit unfamiliar. My experience is that when riding a trainer or even my own road bike on a training stand that the weight distribution and body position on the bike is not quite the same, even if the bike is the same. I have a tendency to put more weight back on the saddle and ride less on the drops than I do on the road.

If you were fine on the road bike last summer, I would just stick with it for awhile. The weirdness will probably pass within a few miles.

I have a similar problem in the gym where I train.

I solved if by putting a 1" block of wood under the rear of the trainer. This kicks the seat post forward by 1", effectively steepening it by 2-3 degrees (so I can run off the bike). You will need to re-level the seat and re-measure the height.

As there are up to 15 clients per hour in the gym, removing the block as I go off to run leaves the bike "normal" for everyone else to use.

gclark8 said:
I have a similar problem in the gym where I train.

I solved if by putting a 1" block of wood under the rear of the trainer. This kicks the seat post forward by 1", effectively steepening it by 2-3 degrees (so I can run off the bike). You will need to re-level the seat and re-measure the height.

As there are up to 15 clients per hour in the gym, removing the block as I go off to run leaves the bike "normal" for everyone else to use.

I have been going to spin class at the gym during the winter season for the last two years. I selected my saddle height based on "feel". Over the course of a couple of hundred classes I settled in on a consistent position.

For grins, a month ago I took a tape measure to spin class and measured the distance from the the center of the crank bolt to the top of the saddle. I went home and measured the same dimension on my road bike. Guess what - exactly the same. I was amazed.

There is no doubt that over time, the body will become hyper-sensitive to small changes in position. They say that Lance Armstrong could feel differences as small as a millemeter.

Thanks to all for your responses. I retook the critical measurements from both bikes and think as many of you suggested, that it was a combination of issues that were contributing to the awkward feelings.

After doing the plumb bob to determine saddle to bb setback, it turned out that my trainer was too far back - must have just gotten used to it, since I've been riding it nightly. Then on the weekend road ride the bike would feel awkward.

After the adjustments, which are still not exactly the same, both the trainer and the bike feel more similar.

I'll continue to fine tune it as I am able to spend more time on the road bike, instead of the trainer.

Thanks again.