Need help with Bike Sizing

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jake Barnes, May 14, 2003.

  1. Jake Barnes

    Jake Barnes Guest

    I am going to purchase a K2 Zed 4.0, and I need help with sizing. I am 5'11/6'0 and weigh 170lbs. I
    have a 30 inch inseam. I test rode a Medium once and it seemed small. Their geometry page is broken
    down on their website for each bike. Here is the link to the Zed 4.0.

    http://www.k2bikes.com/03products/mountain/zed_4.asp

    What are the advantages of a large frame verses small frame, and how do you know if you have a
    good bike fit.

    Should I get a Medium or Large??

    Thanks-- Jake

    Tags:

  2. Adam

    Adam Guest

    "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am going to purchase a K2 Zed 4.0, and I need help with sizing. I am 5'11/6'0 and weigh 170lbs.
    > I have a 30 inch inseam. I test rode a Medium once and it seemed small. Their geometry page is
    > broken down on their website for each bike. Here is the link to the Zed 4.0.
    >
    > http://www.k2bikes.com/03products/mountain/zed_4.asp
    >
    > What are the advantages of a large frame verses small frame, and how do you know if you have a
    > good bike fit.
    >
    > Should I get a Medium or Large??

    Hi Jake,

    Sizing is a bit of a black art, as different manufacturers seem to measure in a multitude of
    different ways. Essentially, ride it: if it feels right it probably is.

    For a mountain bike, you should probably have around 10cm or more of clearance between the
    reproductive equipment and the top tube when you stand over the bike (AKA standover room,
    unsurprisingly). Having said that, I have a bike with a very old-school geometry - a high, flat
    toptube that gives me virtually no standover - and I've just got used to it and not had a
    tube/bollock interface for years.

    If the medium seemed small, try the large. If that feels right and it seems like a good deal to
    you, get it.

    Cheers - Adam...

  3. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Jake Barnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am going to purchase a K2 Zed 4.0, and I need help with sizing. I am 5'11/6'0 and weigh 170lbs.
    > I have a 30 inch inseam. I test rode a Medium once and it seemed small. Their geometry page is
    > broken down on their website for each bike. Here is the link to the Zed 4.0.
    >
    > http://www.k2bikes.com/03products/mountain/zed_4.asp
    >
    > What are the advantages of a large frame verses small frame, and how do you know if you have a
    > good bike fit.
    >
    > Should I get a Medium or Large??
    >
    > Thanks-- Jake

    Jake, if you haven't bought yet, here are my thoughts, since you and I are about the same size. I
    have 3 mtnbikes bikes, and I tend towards mediums and avoid large. I've ridden a large (20"+) but
    felt out of control, and it's scary not to be in charge of the bike, but to sit too high and feel
    like it's going out from under you. (Hard to describe, but you'll know it when it happens.)

    Med, Lg, etc., are meaningless from one bike to another, though. Sit on one and have some good bike
    shop people take a look at you. If they're honest, they can tell. It's intuitive. Then ride it and
    get a feel for it; you're probably close betw both sizes at 6' tall, for most bikes.

    And I'd rather err on too small than too big. I like being able to throw the bike around
    corners and such.

    Ned Overend's book gives measurements for bike fit. sheldon brown probably does too. And for a
    scientific approach, look at Wobblenaught.com

    hth, Paladin