Need help with buying a new bike.

cannondale81

Aug 9, 2011
I am interested in buying a new bike.
I'm currently looking at a Cannondale XR800 w/21″ aluminum road bike. Mavic rims, Truvativ Isis-drive crankset, Ultegra R. derailleur, Cane Creek Headset, Deda bars, and Shimano bar end shifters. The exact age is unknown, but is from sometime in the 90's.
I have tested it and it feels good, the bike shop that is selling it has overhauled and repaired it. What i'm wondering is if the 650 price tag is worth it.
I don't know enough about bikes to know if it's a decent deal or if i'm getting ripped off. Any input or feedback is appreciated.

Welcome, Cannondale81.

According to bikepedia, the XR800 model was only made in 1998 and 1999.

Here's a link if you want to look it over:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1998&Brand=Cannondale&Model=XR800&Type=bike

You might want to do a search on ebay and see if you can find any of those bikes that sold recently to give you an idea of the value.

But, a bike sold from a bike shop will probably cost a bit more and often justifiably so, because a good bike shop will stand behind a bike they've refurbished and fix any problems you might have in the first month or two. Usually, they'll want you to bring it back after a month or so to have the shifters adjusted, etc. ( new cables tend to stretch out requiring adjustment), so keep that in mind.