Need help with Campy FD

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ::dom::, Mar 19, 2005.

1. ::dom::

::dom:: New Member

I purchased a Campy Record Triple FD (32 Clamp-on) about a month ago for a bike that I'm building (slowly). I've changed the frame and now require a 27.2.

I live in a country with no bike shops so I do most of my shopping online, but shipping can be VERY expensive. Swapping the FD for the correct size is possible (I'm sure the guy who sold it to me will do this) but sending this one back and paying to ship the replacement will cost almost as much as buying a new one.

Is the only solution to change the FD or is there another way round the problem?

Tags:

2. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

You might be able to fit a shim between the clamp and the seat tube. A metal shim might be a little too slippery to hold up to the load from the cable. If that doesn't work, you can use a strip cut out of a fine grit drywall sanding screen.

3. biker7

biker7 New Member

agree with Art, a steel sleeve may not provide the grip against the cable pull you would like over time. Personally, if you are building a real nice bike, and doing it slowly, I would install a FD with the right clamp size and bite the bullet on shipping. Aesthetically, don't think you would want a shim showing at that interface anyway.
    Good luck with your build,
    George

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

You can buy a smaller clamp,but that could cost nearly as much as a whole derailer. A proper shim will work,as Shimano even pedals such a thing.

5. supergrill

supergrill New Member

Branford sells a shim specifically for the application for about US$10.
    see:
    http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/campy.html#FrontDerailleurs

Of course you'll still have the shipping to contend with.

You can probably fabricate one if you wanted. Agree that the aesthetic appearances may be an issue, but you can make it secure against normal slippage if you form it properly. I mean c'mon if you can shim stems, bars and seatposts.... ;)

6. ::dom::

::dom:: New Member

Thanks guys.
    I agree that I should probably bite the bullett and buy (or swap) the correct size.
    I'll be traveling to Australia and I'll see if any bike shops will do this for a small fee.