Need help with comparing/buying a hitch mounted swing away bike rack for 4 bikes

baa

Guest
We are going to be buying a hitch mounted swing way bike rack for our family
of 4

I have narrowed it down to two

The Thule Trailblazer 998XT
and
The Yakima FullSwing 4

Both of these seem to have the same features.
Can anyone give me anymore information
For example, were you in a car wreck with your bikes attached and how did
the rack handle the accident
Is the locking mechinism better than one or the other

If these two units have been compared recently in some magazine - I will
gladly go hunt that issue down if anyone knows that as well

The Yakima costs a little more than the Thule so I'm trying to figure out if
its worth the extra $30

Any help would be appreciated

Feel free to respond offline as well

Blake

[email protected]

"baa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> We are going to be buying a hitch mounted swing way bike rack for our

family
> of 4
>
> I have narrowed it down to two
>
> The Thule Trailblazer 998XT
> and
> The Yakima FullSwing 4
>
> Both of these seem to have the same features.
> Can anyone give me anymore information
> For example, were you in a car wreck with your bikes attached and how did
> the rack handle the accident
> Is the locking mechinism better than one or the other
>
> If these two units have been compared recently in some magazine - I will
> gladly go hunt that issue down if anyone knows that as well
>
> The Yakima costs a little more than the Thule so I'm trying to figure out

if
> its worth the extra $30
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Feel free to respond offline as well
>
> Blake
>
> [email protected]

I have the Thule, mounted to my Subaru Outback, was rear ended by an Astro
Van. There were two bikes on the rack at the time, both bikes died, and
their remains were forced into my hatch back, buckling the door. Amazingly,
I am still using the rack today, no obvious damage, although it does lean a
little toward the car now.

Larry