Need help with fogging goggles

jplasater

Guest
I have been using Speedo goggles for swimming. Over the years I have tried spit, several drops and
gels to no avail. After a few laps they fog. Has anyone found the secret to avoiding fogging
goggles? Any help will be appreciated.

I have been told, but have not tried baby shampoo.

Curt

[email protected] wrote:
> I have been using Speedo goggles for swimming. Over the years I have tried spit, several drops and
> gels to no avail. After a few laps they fog. Has anyone found the secret to avoiding fogging
> goggles? Any help will be appreciated.

I have a tiny bottle (0.5 fl oz) of "Defogger by Barracuda" and it works well. Despite it's small
size, it's lasted me for quite a long time too. One drop on each lens rubbed in and wiped dry is all
that's required and it generally keep the goggles fog free for a few days of hour long swims. FWIW,
I use these on TYR Racetech goggles though I doubt this matters.

>I have been using Speedo goggles for swimming. Over the years I have tried spit, several drops and
>gels to no avail. After a few laps they

Spit seems to work or not work depending on what I've been eating...haven't figured out the magic
anti-fog diet yet though. :)

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:22:51 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have been using Speedo goggles for swimming. Over the years I have tried spit, several drops and
> gels to no avail. After a few laps they fog. Has anyone found the secret to avoiding fogging
> goggles? Any help will be appreciated.

What is the actual cause of fogging goggles? I almost never have the problem. I notice that the few
times I do have the problem occur when I am working very hard so that my face is quite warm, the
water temp is cold, and the relative humidity is high. Generally speaking, the problem only lasts
for a few laps, and then it goes away by itself.

If some of you are having a serious fogging problem all the time, what does this mean?

martin

--
If you are a US citizen, please use your constitutional right to vote, because we badly need a new
president.

> I have been using Speedo goggles for swimming. Over the years I have tried spit, several drops and
> gels to no avail. After a few laps they fog. Has anyone found the secret to avoiding fogging
> goggles? Any help will be appreciated.

I usually leave a little water swishing around in the bottom of my goggles that serves to keep the
goggles fog free with natural head movements while swimming. Tolerating that water might be a
stretch for some folks, but it didn't take long for me to adjust.

- Al

I use Eyeline "black Max" goggles which have some sort of anti-fogging lining and have never had
them fog on me. The Eyeline goggle I used before those did not have the anti fogging lining and
fogged constantly in the same conditions.

Alex

> I have been using Speedo goggles for swimming. Over the years I have tried spit, several drops and
> gels to no avail. After a few laps they fog. Has anyone found the secret to avoiding fogging
> goggles? Any help will be appreciated.

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:20:28 +0100, m. w. smith <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:22:51 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I have been using Speedo goggles for swimming. Over the years I have tried spit, several drops
>> and gels to no avail. After a few laps they fog. Has anyone found the secret to avoiding fogging
>> goggles? Any help will be appreciated.
>
> What is the actual cause of fogging goggles? I almost never have the problem. I notice that the
> few times I do have the problem occur when I am working very hard so that my face is quite warm,
> the water temp is cold, and the relative humidity is high. Generally speaking, the problem only
> lasts for a few laps, and then it goes away by itself.

Maybe that wasn't accurate. Now that I think about it, I only have the fogging problem when I first
start swimming. The water is cold-ish; I am not warmed up yet, and the air in my googles is warm
relative to the water, and, I assume, humid. So there is fog. But I keep swimming and after a few
laps, as I warm up and the increased circulation in my face heats the air in my goggles, the fog
eventually burns away. I might have to stop and rinse my goggles once or twice during the warmup,
but soon the fog is gone.

> If some of you are having a serious fogging problem all the time, what does this mean?

For me, the only important benefit of using goggles is to keep the pool chemicals out of my eyes, so
putting more chemicals inside the goggles doesn't make sense. If your goggles get fogged, just stop,
remove them, rinse them in the pool, and put them back on. If your goggles really get so fogged that
you can't see, and the fog keeps coming back for your entire workout no matter what you do, maybe
you are eating too much garlic or something.

Maybe I'm a special case, but I have trained for years with several different teams, and I have
never known anyone who put stuff in their goggles. The main reason for using goggles is not so you
can see, because you can see well enough without goggles. The main reason for using goggles is to
keep chemical irritants out of your eyes.

Resist the temptation to complain that you can't see without goggles, because I started swimming
long before God said "Let there be goggles," and back then without goggles, we didn't swim around
running into each other all workout long. All you need to see is the line on the bottom of the pool,
the cross at the ends of the pool, the lane lines, and the guy in front of you.

martin

--

"Alex" <thebigjobs(at)optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I use Eyeline "black Max" goggles which have some sort of anti-fogging lining and have never had
> them fog on me. The Eyeline goggle I used before those did not have the anti fogging lining and
> fogged constantly in the same conditions.
>
> Alex

> > I have been using Speedo goggles for swimming. Over the years I have tried spit, several drops
> > and gels to no avail. After a few laps they fog. Has anyone found the secret to avoiding fogging
> > goggles? Any help will be appreciated.

Just put a few drops of liquid soap in the lenses, swirl around with your finger until each lens is
coated then rinse out with water (in the sink or open water, not in the pool) I do this every time I
swim and my goggles never fog. If I don't do this they fog very quickly.

Good Luck, Bill

[email protected] (Bill Marut) wrote in message > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I have been using Speedo goggles for swimming. Over the years I have tried spit, several drops
> > > and gels to no avail. After a few laps they fog. Has anyone found the secret to avoiding
> > > fogging goggles? Any help will be appreciated.
>

> Just put a few drops of liquid soap in the lenses, swirl around with your finger until each lens
> is coated then rinse out with water (in the sink or open water, not in the pool) I do this every
> time I swim and my goggles never fog. If I don't do this they fog very quickly.
>
> Good Luck, Bill

I do the same thing about once every week or two. I clean both the inside and the outside in
this manner.

I have a personal theory that "fogging" is caused by a build up of oil from your hands on the lenses
of the goggles, as you take them on & off and fiddle around with them during a swim session. Washing
with a gentle liquid soap (washing up liquid works fine too) cleans the oil off them.

Also make sure your goggles don't get scratched. Once the surface of the lense gets scratched, they
are hard to see through. I keep mine in a soft neoprene case between swims, and I keep my "good"
googles for pool swimming only and don't take them anywhere near the beach or sea. Once my "good"
goggles start to become old and a little scratched, I demote them to sea swimming goggles and get a
new pair for the pool.

I have also found that clear lenses seem to be more durable than coloured ones, something to do with
the coating used to make the colour, I think.

HTH

Liz D

Save your money and simply rub a bit of spit on the inner lenes.

Be discrete about it and don't hock up into your goggles, simply rub your finger over the lenes with
a bit of your own drool... don't worry you'll replace it soon enough.

This is what they teach you when you go Scuba Diving and it seems to work in the pool too.

If someone does have a got at you simple mention that every time someone breathes out under water
they could be sharing all sorts of surprises.

Don't buy gimmicks that you don't need.

Happy Swimming, Michael

Bill Marut wrote:
> "Alex" <thebigjobs(at)optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>I use Eyeline "black Max" goggles which have some sort of anti-fogging lining and have never had
>>them fog on me. The Eyeline goggle I used before those did not have the anti fogging lining and
>>fogged constantly in the same conditions.
>>
>>Alex
>>
>><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>I have been using Speedo goggles for swimming. Over the years I have tried spit, several drops
>>>and gels to no avail. After a few laps they fog. Has anyone found the secret to avoiding fogging
>>>goggles? Any help will be appreciated.
>

> Just put a few drops of liquid soap in the lenses, swirl around with your finger until each lens
> is coated then rinse out with water (in the sink or open water, not in the pool) I do this every
> time I swim and my goggles never fog. If I don't do this they fog very quickly.
>
> Good Luck, Bill

I tried this today for the first time and it worked great. Thanks for the tip.