need help with internal cable routing

serg

Guest
hi everybody. i have an older (late 80's) pinarello frame with internal
cable routing on the top tube. i'm confused about how to install the brake
cable housing on it. there are no cable stops on it. i've seen other
setups where the housing partly goes into the hole but this one has a small
section of pipe coming out of the top tube. if i install the brake housing
to just sit on the end of the pipe, it looks like the housing could move
around a whole bunch. here'a a pic of a frame i found on ebay that has the
same kind of setup. any help is appreciated! thanks!
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/vie..._link=1&track=022a715dc5-316e0&pt=bidpay&sp=1

serg wrote:

> hi everybody. i have an older (late 80's) pinarello frame with
> internal cable routing on the top tube. i'm confused about how to
> install the brake cable housing on it. there are no cable stops on
> it. i've seen other setups where the housing partly goes into the
> hole but this one has a small section of pipe coming out of the top
> tube. if i install the brake housing to just sit on the end of the
> pipe, it looks like the housing could move around a whole bunch.
> here'a a pic of a frame i found on ebay that has the same kind of
> setup. any help is appreciated! thanks!

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/vie..._link=1&track=022a715dc5-316e0&pt=bidpay&sp=1

Older bikes often had full length brake cable housing -- no stops -- the housing
went all the way from the lever to the brake. Some had little holders every few
inches to keep it on the top tube, while others ran it through the top tube like
with your Pinarello. So get a long piece of housing, and run it all the way
through.

Matt O.

hmm, i tried that and the brake housing OD is a little too big. it would
fit if i were to stip the plastic coating at the ends and only use the metal
underneath but that's not a very good idea. i wonder if the older cable
housing was smaller in diameter? i do have a bike with the little housing
holders every few inches on the top tube and another one with split cable
stops and the newer housing fits both fine. hmm....thanks for the idea...

> serg wrote:
>
> > hi everybody. i have an older (late 80's) pinarello frame with
> > internal cable routing on the top tube. i'm confused about how to
> > install the brake cable housing on it. there are no cable stops on
> > it. i've seen other setups where the housing partly goes into the
> > hole but this one has a small section of pipe coming out of the top
> > tube. if i install the brake housing to just sit on the end of the
> > pipe, it looks like the housing could move around a whole bunch.
> > here'a a pic of a frame i found on ebay that has the same kind of
> > setup. any help is appreciated! thanks!

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/ps110612/PinaMontello59
10.jpg?allow_track_link=1&track=022a715dc5-316e0&pt=bidpay&sp=1

serg wrote:
> hi everybody. i have an older (late 80's) pinarello frame with
> internal cable routing on the top tube. i'm confused about how to
> install the brake cable housing on it. there are no cable stops on
> it. i've seen other setups where the housing partly goes into the
> hole but this one has a small section of pipe coming out of the top
> tube. if i install the brake housing to just sit on the end of the
> pipe, it looks like the housing could move around a whole bunch.
> here'a a pic of a frame i found on ebay that has the same kind of
> setup. any help is appreciated! thanks!

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/vie..._link=1&track=022a715dc5-316e0&pt=bidpay&sp=1

I have a newer Klein Adept with internal cable routing. There is no housing
inside the tube. The housing is cut where it goes into the tube and a small
endhousing is pushed onto the housing. I'm not sure if it's any different
than the piece at the very ends of my housing. However I'm sure your LBS
would know.
BTW it helps to have a thin plastic tube that fits over you cable and inside
your tube when working. Pull it through with the old cable and leave it
there until you've pulled the new wire back through.

--
Perre
I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

Per Elmsäter wrote:

> I have a newer Klein Adept with internal cable routing. There is no
> housing inside the tube. The housing is cut where it goes into the
> tube and a small endhousing is pushed onto the housing. I'm not sure
> if it's any different than the piece at the very ends of my housing.
> However I'm sure your LBS would know.

Yes, the Kleins are this way but older bikes typically had full length cable
housing, either inside or outside the top tube.

If just the wire were meant to be inside, there would have to be a perfectly
straight path between two cable stops. Most of the older bikes are obviously
not that way.

Matt O.

serg wrote:

> hmm, i tried that and the brake housing OD is a little too big. it
> would fit if i were to stip the plastic coating at the ends and only
> use the metal underneath but that's not a very good idea. i wonder
> if the older cable housing was smaller in diameter?

Perhaps.

> i do have a bike
> with the little housing holders every few inches on the top tube and
> another one with split cable stops and the newer housing fits both
> fine. hmm....thanks for the idea...

Different brands of cable housing are different diameters. Generic stuff seems
to be the fattest, followed by Shimano, then Dia-Compe, IIRC correctly. You
might experiment there.

Matt O.

serg wrote:

> hmm, i tried that and the brake housing OD is a little too big. it
> would fit if i were to stip the plastic coating at the ends and only
> use the metal underneath but that's not a very good idea. i wonder
> if the older cable housing was smaller in diameter?

Perhaps.

> i do have a bike
> with the little housing holders every few inches on the top tube and
> another one with split cable stops and the newer housing fits both
> fine. hmm....thanks for the idea...

Different brands of cable housing are different diameters. Generic stuff seems
to be the fattest, followed by Shimano, then Dia-Compe, IIRC correctly. You
might experiment there.

Matt O.

serg-<< i have an older (late 80's) pinarello frame with internal
cable routing on the top tube. i'm confused about how to install the brake
cable housing on it. there are no cable stops on it. i've seen other
setups where the housing partly goes into the hole but this one has a small
section of pipe coming out of the top tube. >><BR><BR>

Use a 50% step ferrule, like the one that goes on the cable stop for your rear
der. Only the inner wire goes into to tube.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 05:08:19 GMT, "serg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>hmm, i tried that and the brake housing OD is a little too big. it would
>fit if i were to stip the plastic coating at the ends and only use the metal
>underneath but that's not a very good idea.

That's the way my friend had his Pinarello brake housing: stripped the
plastic off the ends so it would fit inside the frame tube.

>i wonder if the older cable
>housing was smaller in diameter?

Always 5mm as far as I remember! ;-)