Need help with my new Camelbak

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by freelyfallin, Nov 16, 2003.

1. freelyfallin

freelyfallin New Member

Hey all,
    I'm new to this forum, I'm here because I was just given a Camelbak Blowfish.
    I filled it up with a little bit of water, to see how it worked, but couldn't get the water to flow. So I filled it up most the way, and tried to make it work. Now, I spent a long time trying to get it to work, but I had no luck. It seems like something is wrong, I eventually succeeded in getting water into the tube, but it was an extremely slow process...it took way too much effort.
    Is the valve open when it is flush against the mouthpiece or sticking out? I'm thinking it's open when it's flush against, but I'd still like to know if I am right. I tried both ways, but neither really worked. I had a tiny bit of success with the valve flush against the mouthpiece.(ie. water got into the tube.)

So here's my big concern. It seems like the way water gets out of the mouthpiece is through a slit in the rubber(or whatever it is)that goes all the way around the mouthpiece, creating a ring. I'm thinking that the two little things you have to bite on to make water flow releases water that comes out through this slit around the circumerence of the mouthpiece. If thats the case, I have a defective model or something. The only other possibility I can think of is that I've been sucking on the rubber top to the mouthpiece that is removable, is that the case?

So if someone could help me out and tell me how camelbaks work, I would love it. I'm pretty frusturated(and my cheeks hurt from sucking on that mouthpiece.)
    Thanks in advance.

Tags:

2. zaskar

zaskar New Member

all my camel backs you have to bite the mouth piece and
    suck like a straw. on my newest cb there is shut off valve
    right next to the mouth piece.

3. cachehiker

cachehiker New Member

The slit goes across the top of the rubber piece. When a camelbak is brand new, you can see the slit but it isn't usually deep enough to go all the way through the rubber. It is supposed to be that way. It ensures that the slit will not leak when it's closed. I guess a machine can't cut it all the way through and get it just right. Since Camelbak doesn't want to invest in manual laborers to finish the job, this is where you come in. You have to roll the mouthpiece back and forth between you fingers/hands for a while to open the slit up. :)

4. freelyfallin

freelyfallin New Member

Thanks for the help cachehiker...your response is very helpful. I have a question concerning the slit, is it where i think it is, or does water come directly out of the hose through the two things you bite out on into your mouth? I hope you can understand my question.
    Thank again, and if you want me to clarify this I will.