Need help with saddle.... perineum getting pinched

carsnoceans

Jul 24, 2010
First and foremost- I am a newbie to cycling and probably not as knowledgable as most of you. In other words, NEWBIE ALERT!! ;)

Hi folks

I am a newbie cyclist with a Trek 7.2 FX and stock saddle (whatever it came with). Although I got *** last summer but havent done more than 200miles on it!! Biggest reason being, my groin would get numb after 30mins of riding so I started avoiding it due to discomfort. Some google research showed that I am probably putting a lot of pressure on my perineum so need some help in fixing this issue if I am to continue cycling.

I am a bit overweight (225lbs, 6ft) so the stock saddle is probably a bit small for me. Before starting a ride, I keep the saddle completely horizontal but, either the saddle is being shifted due to my heavy weight or I am resting my body a lot on the seat.... I am not quite sure. As much as I enjoy cycling, discomfort and scare factor are a bit much with this issue. Research shows noseless saddles as a solution but there are not a lot of peer reviews on those. Also, some folks mentioned that they take away the ability to control/ steer from hips. Any ideas/tips/comments would be very helpful here. Saw some recommendations for Selle saddles but they are a bit expensive for a beginner like me.

PS - I also tried spinning in a gym. Same damn problem! Help will be much appreciated.

Cheers
CnO

I hate to say it but numbness is a problem that might be more weight related. With your current saddle try to lower the nose of your saddle in small increments. Or, you can try to push your saddle back on it's rails.
The saddle should not be moving at all during your ride, what is happening is that you are sliding on the saddle.
The nerve that you are worried about can get crushed or pinched but does not necessarily have to do with weight. There are stock saddles and after market saddles that have a channel (indentation) that you might want to try. There are saddles with a cutout.
The thing of it is that all men are built different and you will just have to try different saddles and different tilts of the saddle.

in fact there are larger saddles you can buy, for your height and weight you need a larger saddle. Please install it properly, mouvement of the saddle is not normal of course and can be dangerous

Anyway certain degree of pain and discomfort is normal for anyone new to cycling, your skin will actually heal and become stronger in those areas.

You can also try creams and powders for your shorts as discussed previously in some other thread.

I also have had the same problem, to the point of seriously considering giving up cycling. I thought it wasn't worth the risk that causes..... But I did a ton of research on the net and came across a saddle that solved my problem. Most of my shopping was on tri sites and found the ISM Adamo saddle. Bought it for my road bike, love it and it cured my numbness.

If you buy it, give it an honest try....your sit bones will be sore for a bit, but you will not get numb. Hands down the best money i have spent on my bike!!!!!

design looks like Han Solo attack ship on Star Wars !
thumbs up if it's doing you good

I have put about 100mi on the saddle so far and combined with my new (and first) bike shorts, the perineum pinching issue has not occurred. :) ::knock on wood::

However, as read in some bike forums and youtube videos this saddle is not fitting on the bike right. Its definitely no sitting "flat". I mean seat is not parallel to the ground. Its quite visible and I even used a carpenter's level tool. The nose is pointed quite upwards. I put this saddle on the seatpost myself so I am not sure if pro's would have done it differently. But clamps only seemed to fit on the saddle in one place. It doesn't seem to adjustable.... could anyone show or tell me if seat is adjusted correctly?

Also, quick maintenance question... so far I had been taking the seatpost out and keeping indoors since I keep bike on the deck (no place indoors). But putting and adjusting seatpost everytime is a hassle. Okay if I leave the seatpost on outdoors and cover the leather seat with a plastic bag or seat cover?

carsnoceans said:
First and foremost- I am a newbie to cycling and probably not as knowledgable as most of you. In other words, NEWBIE ALERT!! ;)

Hi folks

I am a newbie cyclist with a Trek 7.2 FX and stock saddle (whatever it came with). Although I got *** last summer but havent done more than 200miles on it!! Biggest reason being, my groin would get numb after 30mins of riding so I started avoiding it due to discomfort. Some google research showed that I am probably putting a lot of pressure on my perineum so need some help in fixing this issue if I am to continue cycling.

I am a bit overweight (225lbs, 6ft) so the stock saddle is probably a bit small for me. Before starting a ride, I keep the saddle completely horizontal but, either the saddle is being shifted due to my heavy weight or I am resting my body a lot on the seat.... I am not quite sure. As much as I enjoy cycling, discomfort and scare factor are a bit much with this issue. Research shows noseless saddles as a solution but there are not a lot of peer reviews on those. Also, some folks mentioned that they take away the ability to control/ steer from hips. Any ideas/tips/comments would be very helpful here. Saw some recommendations for Selle saddles but they are a bit expensive for a beginner like me.

PS - I also tried spinning in a gym. Same damn problem! Help will be much appreciated.

Cheers
CnO

A saddle isn't dependant on weight (unless you get a really lightweight carbon/ti saddle) - it's all about getting your 'sit bones' sitting on the saddle instead of the softer bits.

Specialized and their Body Geometry saddles come in several different widths and the BG stores have a butt-o-meter than you sit on to determine what may be the best width for you.

There is a similar post on this forum too, but I had similar issues and went with an ISM Adamo and wouldn't go back to anything else. I have bought both the "Road" model and "Century" (two different bikes). The Century I think has a bit more cushion, but the partial lycra covering would prevent me from buying it again. It stays wet went I have washed the bike, which leads me to believe it must stay wet when I ride too. I love the seat, but highly recommend one of the models with full vinyl/leather.

Awesome seat and the only one that fully eliminated the "issue".

Products

Road%20top%20&%20profile%20blk.jpg

carsnoceans said:
I have put about 100mi on the saddle so far and combined with my new (and first) bike shorts, the perineum pinching issue has not occurred. :) ::knock on wood::

However, as read in some bike forums and youtube videos this saddle is not fitting on the bike right. Its definitely no sitting "flat". I mean seat is not parallel to the ground. Its quite visible and I even used a carpenter's level tool. The nose is pointed quite upwards. I put this saddle on the seatpost myself so I am not sure if pro's would have done it differently. But clamps only seemed to fit on the saddle in one place. It doesn't seem to adjustable.... could anyone show or tell me if seat is adjusted correctly?

Also, quick maintenance question... so far I had been taking the seatpost out and keeping indoors since I keep bike on the deck (no place indoors). But putting and adjusting seatpost everytime is a hassle. Okay if I leave the seatpost on outdoors and cover the leather seat with a plastic bag or seat cover?
Post a picture of the seatpost WITHOUT the saddle attached ...

Many saddles have a SYNTHETIC cover ... so, UV is your principle concern for the saddle AND bike's paint/tires.

If you are going to remove the seatpost from the frame, then you can expedite putting it back in the bike by putting a piece of TAPE on the post where it enters the frame to mark where you want the seatpost to be.

swampy1970 said:
A saddle isn't dependant on weight (unless you get a really lightweight carbon/ti saddle) - it's all about getting your 'sit bones' sitting on the saddle instead of the softer bits.

Specialized and their Body Geometry saddles come in several different widths and the BG stores have a butt-o-meter than you sit on to determine what may be the best width for you.

+1 on the sit bones. Given your size, find a wider saddle. I know Bontrager has a similar measuring system and that worked well for me. I'm almost your size and had the same problem with various butt hatchets.

The Brooks saddles are another option. The B-17 is always a classic choice if you can accept the responsibility to care for a leather saddle.