Need help with training ride approach

TamMan

Aug 28, 2006
Hello - I have been casually riding with a PM for the past 9 months and want to get started with a serious training program ahead of the 07 season. One of the things that I am struggling with is what type of training rides I should do. I live in a very hilly area with a great number of long and tough climbs. There aren't many flat rides. To get to some of the good roads (lot's of hills), I need to climb two 11% hills (~5 minutes each) and also have tons of traffic lights inbetween (avg VI: 1.2). Alternatively, I can ride a 5m flat loop close to my house. Doing this loop allows me to produce nice powerprofiles, but it is unbelievably boring and mind-numbing. The other rides produce very mixed profiles due to the extremely varied terrain. How do you deal with the terrain and how do you structure your rides? Also, do you do your interval work on hills or on flat roads?

TamMan said:
Hello - I have been casually riding with a PM for the past 9 months and want to get started with a serious training program ahead of the 07 season. One of the things that I am struggling with is what type of training rides I should do. I live in a very hilly area with a great number of long and tough climbs. There aren't many flat rides. To get to some of the good roads (lot's of hills), I need to climb two 11% hills (~5 minutes each) and also have tons of traffic lights inbetween (avg VI: 1.2). Alternatively, I can ride a 5m flat loop close to my house. Doing this loop allows me to produce nice powerprofiles, but it is unbelievably boring and mind-numbing. The other rides produce very mixed profiles due to the extremely varied terrain. How do you deal with the terrain and how do you structure your rides? Also, do you do your interval work on hills or on flat roads?
Tell us about your goals.

SolarEnergy said:
Tell us about your goals.
I split my time between running and cycling. In the past few years, I have put more emphasize on running and want to shift more towards cycling. Just joined a team and will start racing next year while still hoping to complete a number of decent 1/2 marathons.
In terms of cycling, I have one main goal which is to complete the Transalp Tour in June/ July (7 day stage race) along with some other minor NorCal races.

Well,

I understand that finding a course for short and intense interval work isn't an issue right?

What about longer intervals. Do you have access to segments long enough to ride 20-30min intervals? Do you have a decent trainer?

TamMan said:
...How do you deal with the terrain and how do you structure your rides? Also, do you do your interval work on hills or on flat roads?

I seek out routes that fit my training goals ie, head to the hills for hill intervals, stick to the flats to work on flat intervals. Usually tend to do both in every ride.

Your screen name makes me wonder if you live in Marin? If so, I can suggest many routes - I train in West Marin and Southern Sonoma.