Need help with Tri bike purchase

gregk

Aug 20, 2003
I am narrowing down my search for a triathlon bike in the <$3000 range. I am almost certain I am going to go with the Airborne Spectre, as my team gets a considerable discount with them. I have a few concerns:

1. Which front fork to buy? I have read rave reviews about products from Reynolds and Alpha Q. Are they worth the extra cash? Does anybody know about the quality/performance of the stock piece from Airborne? The Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero and Alpha Q SUB3 forks cost $241 and $244 more than the Airborne Aileron fork. There is also the Kestrel EMS Pro OS and various other Reynolds forks. Keep in mind that I am more interested in price and aerodynamics than weight.

2. Which headset to buy? The stock piece is an FSA Orbit MX. I can upgrade to a Campy Record for $106 or a Chris King for $126. Spending an extra 100+ dollars for a negligible weight difference (-2 grams for the Campy, +2 grams for the King) seems like a bit much. I've heard the Chris King headset regarded as "Nothing short of a technical marvel". What makes it so great? And, more importantly, is it worth the green?

3. Handlebars. I am planning on using the set of Syntace C2 clip-ons that I already own. What I do need, however, is a bullhorn bar on which to mount them. At this point, I am probably going to go with a Syntace Stratos bar, since my aerobars are from Syntace as well. The question that I am left with is: what drop angle should I get? They offer the bar in 0, 5, 15, and 40 degree drop angles. I assume that the only reason for the increase in angle is to get lower on the bike, thus aiding in aerodynamics. Am I wrong? Is it more based on personal fit than aerodynamics?

Here are the rest of the bike specs if anybody is interested:

Frame: 58 cm 3AL/2.5V Titanium

Crankset, bottom bracket, derailleurs, brakes, cassette (11-23), bar end shifters: All Campagnolo Chorus

Wheels: Zipp 404 Clinchers

Seat post: Thompson Elite, 330mm length

Saddle: Selle San Marco Aspide Triathlon

Pedals: Shimano SPD Dura Ace

Brake levers: Syntace (not available through Airborne) Are the Profile Quick Stop levers any good?

Stem: ITM millenium (not available through Airborne)

Thanks in advance for any help! I am open to any suggestions, even if it isn't something I mentioned.

Originally posted by gregk

2. Which headset to buy? The stock piece is an FSA Orbit MX. I can upgrade to a Campy Record for $106 or a Chris King for $126. Spending an extra 100+ dollars for a negligible weight difference (-2 grams for the Campy, +2 grams for the King) seems like a bit much. I've heard the Chris King headset regarded as "Nothing short of a technical marvel". What makes it so great? And, more importantly, is it worth the green?

I'll comment on the headset, the Chris King is pretty much 'bullet proof', install it and forget about it. If you plan on keeping this bike for a few years then definitally consider upgrading to the Chris King. At $126.00 it doesn't seem like you are getting much of a credit for the FSA Orbit MX though... (I've seen them at online retailers for less).

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...1-8+NoThread&vendorCode=KING&major=1&minor=16

Now if they are talking the Titanium Chris King...

Thanks for the headset advice. I think I'm going to go with the FSA.

Does anybody have any fork or handlebar advice they can lend?