Need help with Uniglide Freehub replacement

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sbc, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Sbc

    Sbc Guest

    I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According to Sheldon Brown's
    excellent webpage, it seems possible to replace the current freehub with one that
    will work with available hyperglide cassettes.

    My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the freehub with a 7-speed
    one. LooseScrews has these, but their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed
    MOUNTAIN bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my (126mm spaced)
    Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what should I buy instead

    --Eric Peterson

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    It will fit, but I think you should consider getting an 8 or 9 speed HG body instead.
    You will then have choices of 7 speed with a spacer, or 8 and 9 speed.
    You should only do the 8 speed "upgrade" if you have a steel frame. You will also need to respace you axle, respace your rear drop outs, and deal with a new shifter. However, you will have many more choices going forward for cassettes.
    Sheldon has articles that cover all this stuff as well as the parts to do the whole thing.

  3. SBC (erp4599) wrote:
    > I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According to Sheldon Brown's
    > excellent webpage, it seems possible to replace the current freehub with one
    > that will work with available hyperglide cassettes.
    >
    > My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the freehub with a 7-speed
    > one. LooseScrews has these, but their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed
    > MOUNTAIN bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my (126mm spaced)
    > Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what should I buy instead

    If you like my advice, why not buy from me?

    The best deal for this is our $19.95 HG20 hub, solid axle, no axle nuts included.
    This has a good HG body with matching cones and lots of other useful stuff.

    Matching up the right cone to the dustcap in the Freehub body is the most
    common complication in this sort of transplant, so it's desirable to get the
    cone with the body.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs.html#road and scroll down a bit.

    Sheldon "Sells Parts And Gives Free Advice" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------------
    +
    | I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. | -- Thomas Watson,
    | Chairman of IBM, 1943 |
    +--------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery,
    West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    SBC (erp4599) wrote:

    > I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According to Sheldon Brown's
    > excellent webpage, it seems possible to replace the current freehub with one
    > that will work with available hyperglide cassettes.
    >
    > My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the freehub with a 7-speed
    > one. LooseScrews has these, but their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed
    > MOUNTAIN bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my (126mm spaced)
    > Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what should I buy instead

    Probably OK. There are minor differences among the various hubs and cassette
    bodies involving the seal on the back side and the washer between them. Don't
    throw anything away until you're finished and it spins without dragging. You may
    need a seal or washer from the old setup.

    Or just get a Uniglide cassette ( we have some )

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > If you like my advice, why not buy from me? The best deal for this is our
    > $19.95 HG20 hub, solid axle, no axle nuts included. This has a good HG body
    > with matching cones and lots of other useful stuff. Matching up the right cone
    > to the dustcap in the Freehub body is the most common complication in this sort
    > of transplant, so it's desirable to get the cone with the body.
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs.html#road and scroll down a bit.

    Yes you should buy that. It's a good deal and cheaper than my obsolete UG
    cassettes.

  6. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    SBC (erp4599) wrote:
    > I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According to Sheldon Brown's
    > excellent webpage, it seems possible to replace the current freehub with one
    > that will work with available hyperglide cassettes.
    >
    > My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the freehub with a 7-speed
    > one. LooseScrews has these, but their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed
    > MOUNTAIN bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my (126mm spaced)
    > Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what should I buy instead
    >
    > --Eric Peterson

    I have done exactly that following Sheldons instructions, no problems at all. My
    hub is a 1989 Shimano 105, 126mm spacing. The body I used has threads on the
    inside and outside so both UG and HG cassettes can be secured. Currently I have
    the UG one on but I am slowly collecting parts to do Sheldons 8 from 9 on a 7
    conversion - I don't want to get the wheel redished just yet nor the frame cold
    set hence not going to normal 8 or nine.

  7. I would be happy to buy from Harris. I was just looking at
    Loose Screws because they also have axle spacers I will need
    to use this wheel in a hybrid bike (135mm rear axle).
    Hopefully you can supply me with these as well (two 4mm
    spacers will get me close enough).

    Since this is a strong wheel I wanted to use it for some
    loaded touring on my hybrid frame, and want to be able to
    replace spokes should some break on the drive side.

    --Eric

    PS (OT) Not having posted on this newsgroup for a while, and
    after posting finding multiple fake mail messages from
    Microsoft for bug reports/fixes, I see that something out
    there is still scraping email addresses out of this
    newsgroup and spamming them.

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > SBC (erp4599) wrote:
    >
    >> I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According
    >> to Sheldon Brown's excellent webpage, it seems possible
    >> to replace the current freehub with one that will work
    >> with available hyperglide cassettes.
    >>
    >> My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the
    >> freehub with a 7-speed one. LooseScrews has these, but
    >> their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed MOUNTAIN
    >> bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my
    >> (126mm spaced) Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what
    >> should I buy instead
    >

    > If you like my advice, why not buy from me?
    >
    > The best deal for this is our $19.95 HG20 hub, solid axle,
    > no axle nuts included. This has a good HG body with
    > matching cones and lots of other useful stuff.
    >
    > Matching up the right cone to the dustcap in the
    > Freehub body is the most common complication in this
    > sort of transplant, so it's desirable to get the cone
    > with the body.
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs.html#road and scroll
    > down a bit.
    >
    > Sheldon "Sells Parts And Gives Free Advice" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------
    > -------+
    > | I think there is a world market for maybe five
    > | computers. | -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943 |
    > +---------------------------------------------------------
    > -----+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    > 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-
    > find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
    > http://sheldonbrown.com

  8. After a closer read, I see that my question was not
    answered. Let me rephrase...

    Q) Is there a 7-speed HG freehub that I can use to replace
    the 7-speed Uniglide freehub that is currently installed
    on my Shimano600 hub? This implies that I retain the
    current axle, cones, etcetera.

    If I were to replace the entire hub, I would not be
    interested in using a non-QR hub as Sheldon has suggested.

    --Eric

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > SBC (erp4599) wrote:
    >
    >> I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According
    >> to Sheldon Brown's excellent webpage, it seems possible
    >> to replace the current freehub with one that will work
    >> with available hyperglide cassettes.
    >>
    >> My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the
    >> freehub with a 7-speed one. LooseScrews has these, but
    >> their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed MOUNTAIN
    >> bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my
    >> (126mm spaced) Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what
    >> should I buy instead
    >

    > If you like my advice, why not buy from me?
    >
    > The best deal for this is our $19.95 HG20 hub, solid axle,
    > no axle nuts included. This has a good HG body with
    > matching cones and lots of other useful stuff.
    >
    > Matching up the right cone to the dustcap in the
    > Freehub body is the most common complication in this
    > sort of transplant, so it's desirable to get the cone
    > with the body.
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs.html#road and scroll
    > down a bit.
    >
    > Sheldon "Sells Parts And Gives Free Advice" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------
    > -------+
    > | I think there is a world market for maybe five
    > | computers. | -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943 |
    > +---------------------------------------------------------
    > -----+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    > 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-
    > find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
    > http://sheldonbrown.com

  9. Dan Brussee

    Dan Brussee Guest

    Im going out on a limb here, but I beleive Sheldon is
    suggesting you purchase an entire hub, but scavenge the
    freehub off of it. Since you wont be using the main hub
    anyway, no sense in paying for a higher end system with
    quick release, etc.

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:30:19 GMT, Eric Peterson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >After a closer read, I see that my question was not
    >answered. Let me rephrase...
    >
    >Q) Is there a 7-speed HG freehub that I can use to replace
    > the 7-speed Uniglide freehub that is currently installed
    > on my Shimano600 hub? This implies that I retain the
    > current axle, cones, etcetera.
    >
    >If I were to replace the entire hub, I would not be
    >interested in using a non-QR hub as Sheldon has suggested.
    >
    >--Eric
    >
    >Sheldon Brown wrote:
    >> SBC (erp4599) wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According
    >>> to Sheldon Brown's excellent webpage, it seems possible
    >>> to replace the current freehub with one that will work
    >>> with available hyperglide cassettes.
    >>>
    >>> My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the
    >>> freehub with a 7-speed one. LooseScrews has these, but
    >>> their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed MOUNTAIN
    >>> bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my
    >>> (126mm spaced) Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and
    >>> what should I buy instead
    >>

    >> If you like my advice, why not buy from me?
    >>
    >> The best deal for this is our $19.95 HG20 hub, solid
    >> axle, no axle nuts included. This has a good HG body with
    >> matching cones and lots of other useful stuff.
    >>
    >> Matching up the right cone to the dustcap in the
    >> Freehub body is the most common complication in this
    >> sort of transplant, so it's desirable to get the cone
    >> with the body.
    >>
    >> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs.html#road and scroll
    >> down a bit.
    >>
    >> Sheldon "Sells Parts And Gives Free Advice" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------
    >> -------+
    >> | I think there is a world market for maybe five
    >> | computers. | -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM,
    >> | 1943 |
    >> +--------------------------------------------------------
    >> ------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    >> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com
    >> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    >> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  10. Sbc

    Sbc Guest

    That does seem like a good solution! Thanks for the
    interpretation! Or am I just dense?

    --EP

  11. Dan Brussee wrote:

    > Im going out on a limb here, but I beleive Sheldon is
    > suggesting you purchase an entire hub, but scavenge the
    > freehub off of it. Since you wont be using the main hub
    > anyway, no sense in paying for a higher end system with
    > quick release, etc.

    That is, indeed what I was suggesting, and it's the main
    thing we do with these otherwise unpopular hubs, since
    nobody wants a solid axle hub anyway. For the price of a
    Freehub body alone, you get the body, both cones, bearing
    balls, locknuts and spacers.

    Sheldon "Spare Parts" Brown +---------------------------------------------
    +
    | I have suffered from being misunderstood | but I would
    | have suffered a hell of a lot | more if I had been
    | understood. | --Clarence Darrow |

  12. Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Dan Brussee wrote:

    > > Im going out on a limb here, but I beleive Sheldon is
    > > suggesting you purchase an entire hub, but scavenge the
    > > freehub off of it. Since you wont be using the main hub
    > > anyway, no sense in paying for a higher end system with
    > > quick release, etc.

    > That is, indeed what I was suggesting, and it's the main
    > thing we do with these otherwise unpopular hubs, since
    > nobody wants a solid axle hub anyway. For the price of a
    > Freehub body alone, you get the body, both cones, bearing
    > balls, locknuts and spacers.

    And, with just a little light machining, the unused hubshell
    makes a lovely candleholder!

    -Martha

    Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let
    your customers drift off to free webmail services install
    your own web gateway! -- See
    http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----

  13. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Eric Peterson wrote:
    > After a closer read, I see that my question was not
    > answered. Let me rephrase...
    >
    > Q) Is there a 7-speed HG freehub that I can use to replace
    > the 7-speed Uniglide freehub that is currently
    > installed on my Shimano600 hub? This implies that I
    > retain the current axle, cones, etcetera.
    >
    > If I were to replace the entire hub, I would not be
    > interested in using a non-QR hub as Sheldon has suggested.
    >
    > --Eric

    Yes there is. I did this conversion last year on my 105 UG
    hub. I got the body from Halfords, a large motor accessory
    chain here in the UK. i.e. the part is not hard to source.
    Cost me about 12 quid.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
    http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk