Need help with Uniglide Freehub replacement

Sbc

Guest
I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According to Sheldon Brown's
excellent webpage, it seems possible to replace the current freehub with one that
will work with available hyperglide cassettes.

My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the freehub with a 7-speed
one. LooseScrews has these, but their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed
MOUNTAIN bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my (126mm spaced)
Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what should I buy instead

--Eric Peterson

Originally posted by Sbc
I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According to Sheldon Brown's
excellent webpage, it seems possible to replace the current freehub with one that
will work with available hyperglide cassettes.

My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the freehub with a 7-speed
one. LooseScrews has these, but their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed
MOUNTAIN bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my (126mm spaced)
Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what should I buy instead

--Eric Peterson

It will fit, but I think you should consider getting an 8 or 9 speed HG body instead.
You will then have choices of 7 speed with a spacer, or 8 and 9 speed.
You should only do the 8 speed "upgrade" if you have a steel frame. You will also need to respace you axle, respace your rear drop outs, and deal with a new shifter. However, you will have many more choices going forward for cassettes.
Sheldon has articles that cover all this stuff as well as the parts to do the whole thing.

SBC (erp4599) wrote:
> I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According to Sheldon Brown's
> excellent webpage, it seems possible to replace the current freehub with one
> that will work with available hyperglide cassettes.
>
> My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the freehub with a 7-speed
> one. LooseScrews has these, but their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed
> MOUNTAIN bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my (126mm spaced)
> Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what should I buy instead

If you like my advice, why not buy from me?

The best deal for this is our $19.95 HG20 hub, solid axle, no axle nuts included.
This has a good HG body with matching cones and lots of other useful stuff.

Matching up the right cone to the dustcap in the Freehub body is the most
common complication in this sort of transplant, so it's desirable to get the
cone with the body.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs.html#road and scroll down a bit.

Sheldon "Sells Parts And Gives Free Advice" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------------
+
| I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. | -- Thomas Watson,
| Chairman of IBM, 1943 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery,
West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

SBC (erp4599) wrote:

> I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According to Sheldon Brown's
> excellent webpage, it seems possible to replace the current freehub with one
> that will work with available hyperglide cassettes.
>
> My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the freehub with a 7-speed
> one. LooseScrews has these, but their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed
> MOUNTAIN bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my (126mm spaced)
> Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what should I buy instead

Probably OK. There are minor differences among the various hubs and cassette
bodies involving the seal on the back side and the washer between them. Don't
throw anything away until you're finished and it spins without dragging. You may
need a seal or washer from the old setup.

Or just get a Uniglide cassette ( we have some )

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> If you like my advice, why not buy from me? The best deal for this is our
> $19.95 HG20 hub, solid axle, no axle nuts included. This has a good HG body
> with matching cones and lots of other useful stuff. Matching up the right cone
> to the dustcap in the Freehub body is the most common complication in this sort
> of transplant, so it's desirable to get the cone with the body.
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs.html#road and scroll down a bit.

Yes you should buy that. It's a good deal and cheaper than my obsolete UG
cassettes.

SBC (erp4599) wrote:
> I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According to Sheldon Brown's
> excellent webpage, it seems possible to replace the current freehub with one
> that will work with available hyperglide cassettes.
>
> My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the freehub with a 7-speed
> one. LooseScrews has these, but their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed
> MOUNTAIN bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my (126mm spaced)
> Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what should I buy instead
>
> --Eric Peterson

I have done exactly that following Sheldons instructions, no problems at all. My
hub is a 1989 Shimano 105, 126mm spacing. The body I used has threads on the
inside and outside so both UG and HG cassettes can be secured. Currently I have
the UG one on but I am slowly collecting parts to do Sheldons 8 from 9 on a 7
conversion - I don't want to get the wheel redished just yet nor the frame cold
set hence not going to normal 8 or nine.

I would be happy to buy from Harris. I was just looking at
Loose Screws because they also have axle spacers I will need
to use this wheel in a hybrid bike (135mm rear axle).
Hopefully you can supply me with these as well (two 4mm
spacers will get me close enough).

Since this is a strong wheel I wanted to use it for some
loaded touring on my hybrid frame, and want to be able to
replace spokes should some break on the drive side.

--Eric

PS (OT) Not having posted on this newsgroup for a while, and
after posting finding multiple fake mail messages from
Microsoft for bug reports/fixes, I see that something out
there is still scraping email addresses out of this
newsgroup and spamming them.

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> SBC (erp4599) wrote:
>
>> I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According
>> to Sheldon Brown's excellent webpage, it seems possible
>> to replace the current freehub with one that will work
>> with available hyperglide cassettes.
>>
>> My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the
>> freehub with a 7-speed one. LooseScrews has these, but
>> their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed MOUNTAIN
>> bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my
>> (126mm spaced) Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what
>> should I buy instead
>

> If you like my advice, why not buy from me?
>
> The best deal for this is our $19.95 HG20 hub, solid axle,
> no axle nuts included. This has a good HG body with
> matching cones and lots of other useful stuff.
>
> Matching up the right cone to the dustcap in the
> Freehub body is the most common complication in this
> sort of transplant, so it's desirable to get the cone
> with the body.
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs.html#road and scroll
> down a bit.
>
> Sheldon "Sells Parts And Gives Free Advice" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------
> -------+
> | I think there is a world market for maybe five
> | computers. | -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943 |
> +---------------------------------------------------------
> -----+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-
> find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
> http://sheldonbrown.com

After a closer read, I see that my question was not
answered. Let me rephrase...

Q) Is there a 7-speed HG freehub that I can use to replace
the 7-speed Uniglide freehub that is currently installed
on my Shimano600 hub? This implies that I retain the
current axle, cones, etcetera.

If I were to replace the entire hub, I would not be
interested in using a non-QR hub as Sheldon has suggested.

--Eric

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> SBC (erp4599) wrote:
>
>> I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According
>> to Sheldon Brown's excellent webpage, it seems possible
>> to replace the current freehub with one that will work
>> with available hyperglide cassettes.
>>
>> My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the
>> freehub with a 7-speed one. LooseScrews has these, but
>> their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed MOUNTAIN
>> bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my
>> (126mm spaced) Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and what
>> should I buy instead
>

> If you like my advice, why not buy from me?
>
> The best deal for this is our $19.95 HG20 hub, solid axle,
> no axle nuts included. This has a good HG body with
> matching cones and lots of other useful stuff.
>
> Matching up the right cone to the dustcap in the
> Freehub body is the most common complication in this
> sort of transplant, so it's desirable to get the cone
> with the body.
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs.html#road and scroll
> down a bit.
>
> Sheldon "Sells Parts And Gives Free Advice" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------
> -------+
> | I think there is a world market for maybe five
> | computers. | -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943 |
> +---------------------------------------------------------
> -----+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-
> find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
> http://sheldonbrown.com

Im going out on a limb here, but I beleive Sheldon is
suggesting you purchase an entire hub, but scavenge the
freehub off of it. Since you wont be using the main hub
anyway, no sense in paying for a higher end system with
quick release, etc.

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:30:19 GMT, Eric Peterson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>After a closer read, I see that my question was not
>answered. Let me rephrase...
>
>Q) Is there a 7-speed HG freehub that I can use to replace
> the 7-speed Uniglide freehub that is currently installed
> on my Shimano600 hub? This implies that I retain the
> current axle, cones, etcetera.
>
>If I were to replace the entire hub, I would not be
>interested in using a non-QR hub as Sheldon has suggested.
>
>--Eric
>
>Sheldon Brown wrote:
>> SBC (erp4599) wrote:
>>
>>> I have a rear wheel with a uniglide cassette. According
>>> to Sheldon Brown's excellent webpage, it seems possible
>>> to replace the current freehub with one that will work
>>> with available hyperglide cassettes.
>>>
>>> My existing cassette is 7 cogs, so I plan to replace the
>>> freehub with a 7-speed one. LooseScrews has these, but
>>> their description says: "Fits Shimano 7 speed MOUNTAIN
>>> bike rear hubs." Does this mean it will not work on my
>>> (126mm spaced) Shimano 600 road hub. If so, why, and
>>> what should I buy instead
>>

>> If you like my advice, why not buy from me?
>>
>> The best deal for this is our $19.95 HG20 hub, solid
>> axle, no axle nuts included. This has a good HG body with
>> matching cones and lots of other useful stuff.
>>
>> Matching up the right cone to the dustcap in the
>> Freehub body is the most common complication in this
>> sort of transplant, so it's desirable to get the cone
>> with the body.
>>
>> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs.html#road and scroll
>> down a bit.
>>
>> Sheldon "Sells Parts And Gives Free Advice" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------
>> -------+
>> | I think there is a world market for maybe five
>> | computers. | -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM,
>> | 1943 |
>> +--------------------------------------------------------
>> ------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
>> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com
>> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
>> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

That does seem like a good solution! Thanks for the
interpretation! Or am I just dense?

--EP

Dan Brussee wrote:

> Im going out on a limb here, but I beleive Sheldon is
> suggesting you purchase an entire hub, but scavenge the
> freehub off of it. Since you wont be using the main hub
> anyway, no sense in paying for a higher end system with
> quick release, etc.

That is, indeed what I was suggesting, and it's the main
thing we do with these otherwise unpopular hubs, since
nobody wants a solid axle hub anyway. For the price of a
Freehub body alone, you get the body, both cones, bearing
balls, locknuts and spacers.

Sheldon "Spare Parts" Brown +---------------------------------------------
+
| I have suffered from being misunderstood | but I would
| have suffered a hell of a lot | more if I had been
| understood. | --Clarence Darrow |

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dan Brussee wrote:

> > Im going out on a limb here, but I beleive Sheldon is
> > suggesting you purchase an entire hub, but scavenge the
> > freehub off of it. Since you wont be using the main hub
> > anyway, no sense in paying for a higher end system with
> > quick release, etc.

> That is, indeed what I was suggesting, and it's the main
> thing we do with these otherwise unpopular hubs, since
> nobody wants a solid axle hub anyway. For the price of a
> Freehub body alone, you get the body, both cones, bearing
> balls, locknuts and spacers.

And, with just a little light machining, the unused hubshell
makes a lovely candleholder!

-Martha

Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let
your customers drift off to free webmail services install
your own web gateway! -- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----

Eric Peterson wrote:
> After a closer read, I see that my question was not
> answered. Let me rephrase...
>
> Q) Is there a 7-speed HG freehub that I can use to replace
> the 7-speed Uniglide freehub that is currently
> installed on my Shimano600 hub? This implies that I
> retain the current axle, cones, etcetera.
>
> If I were to replace the entire hub, I would not be
> interested in using a non-QR hub as Sheldon has suggested.
>
> --Eric

Yes there is. I did this conversion last year on my 105 UG
hub. I got the body from Halfords, a large motor accessory
chain here in the UK. i.e. the part is not hard to source.
Cost me about 12 quid.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk