Need hill climb training advice

So is the consensis "Do what works for you?".

BTW I am working on climbing while standing. Work on what your the weakest at, right?

L

Lonnie Utah said:
Move about 3 hours west. Seriously, western NC has some great riding with plenty of "hills". How about a weekend road trip...

About a month ago I did a weekend trip to "The Cove" near Asheville and rode part of the assault on Mt. Mitchell route. I returned to find that my average speed over all distances had increased and my climbing improved little. It was many hours all uphill. The ride back was 30+ with little need to pedal (even though I did) for so long it got boring and getting bored at 30+ on the shoulder of a big hill is scary.

Lonnie Utah said:
So is the consensis "Do what works for you?".
Absolutely.

Lonnie Utah said:
BTW I am working on climbing while standing. Work on what your the weakest at, right?
Yep. Note that I wasn't saying that standing while climbing was the most effective, and I actually believe the exact opposite (except when sprinting for that mountaintop finish, of course). I was only saying that I'd expect standing while climbing to be easier on the knees.

Out of the saddle is the least efficent, but is required on many steep hills so don't ignore it as you train.

Staying in the saddle is the hardest on the knees but saves energy and (for many) can be maintained for longer.

On the knee pain thing, I sometimes get pain when trying to push big gears on hills and can get almost immediate relief by changing down to a smaller gear and spinning faster. For me sitting or standing is not the issue other than I find it difficult to spin fast in smaller gears while standing and tend to always change to bigger gears and tramp along at a comfortable cadence.
If the bike fit is correct, then pedalling whilst seated shouldn't cause knee problems and having to push with the knee at 60 deg as someone said sounds waaaay wrong.

Ever tried climbing while seated but pushed backwards on the seat so the pedal technique resembles a horizontal leg-press movement? By that I mean, it's easier to move your butt back and alter the angle of the leg - which allows for pushing a bigger gear since you can use the hips and back more.
I confess I do definitely drop speed when I stand and the only way to compensate is to increase cadence.

frenchyge said:
I would think standing would be much easier on the knees because the majority of the force is applied when the leg is nearly straight. Most of the knee bending comes into play while the leg is unloaded and coming over the top of the crank.
When your knee is at 90 deg. and you apply force you have the closest contact between the patella and the rest of the knee joint. It gives you the highest compression forces and can often result in patella femoral pain. It is the same idea of feeling the pain when walking up stairs. Good muscle strength on the inside quad muscle and correct firing patterns help the knee cap track correctly and minimize this type of pain. When the knee is straight it does take the weight but the long bones due the weight bearing not the joint (ie standing on one leg). Big gears and long crank arms combine to increase the amount of force going through the joint as the pedal comes over the top and hence more pain.

pod said:
...having to push with the knee at 60 deg as someone said sounds waaaay wrong.
Note that I said that the pushing can come when the leg is *bent* 60 degrees (ie, from straight) which is not the same as saying that the angle of the knee is 60 degrees.

I agree. I find my knees complian a bit more when I've pushed gears hard in a seated position but standing and spinning more has helped my knees no end. It's also important to make full use of gears and not to strain in too big a gear whether you opt to stand or sit.
I ordered a large phyio book all about the knee and sport and recall the physio claimed standing is the least stressful way to cycle for the joint but this is simply the physio's opinion.

Brizza said:
Out of the saddle is the least efficent, but is required on many steep hills so don't ignore it as you train.

Staying in the saddle is the hardest on the knees but saves energy and (for many) can be maintained for longer.

if you do not have the power to do set of 12-20 reps with 125+ lbs at your ht/wt i would recommend squats. just follow the good form, hold the bar evenly, controlled motion, avoid going deep, make a smooth transtion from downwards to up, do not bounce. leg presses are more variable in terms of weight affect due to agle of sled, friction, adjustment,ect. but tou can expect to have to pile on at least double the plates to equal squats.

one thing i like to do on these shorter climbs is to do repeats.
on the first one, hit the bottom portion of the climb hard and roll easily over the portion to the top.
on the second, save up for the end then charge the top.

go hard in both cases, then eventualy try to charge the entire climb at a higher than previous pace.

time yourself up a 2-3 minute climb and strive to reduce time.
alternate a few sets of these, not too many at first, leave room for increase.

another way to prepare, "kicking the crest", whenever you get to the end of one of these shorter climbs do not let up, as instinct perhaps will dictate.
as th tip approaches and the grade finally lessens keep the pedal pressure on, maybe shift to the next smaller cog to keep the cadence in the power range.

these things work for me and i am glad the guys i ride with do not train in this mode...

they say it is too hard, but it is something to work towards.

do not do this too often or you will burn out.

you may well find someone else suggests something that suit you better.

Mish said:
I'm tired of getting semi-dropped on hills. I lead or nearly lead on the flats and on the hills I get passed. The passer usually is more winded at the top than I am but I cannot seem to keep up through the climb.
I'm 6' 165 & can ride 50+ miles at 17mph alone but can't climb as well as I want. In Raleigh, NC there are few hills that last more than 1/4 mile.
What can I do (rollers, stairclimber, squats, intervals) to become a better climber by the middle of the summer??