Need HYBRID bike...please respond :(

LilBallerx8

Nov 23, 2009
First post yay!
Hi guys,

I'm 14 and I love biking-I use a 89$ MTB from walmart and I decided that since I joined high school bike club and was do 30 miles+ rides, I should upgrade my bike to a decent hybrid or road. My budget is $270, and I decided on a hybrid since I would be doing light dirt trails often...

I spent a week checking out hybrid bikes for the uncommon 5' teen. Most were OK, but too tall or not my taste. After a week, I saw this: http://www.target.com/Mens-Tourist-H.../dp/B00160JO4Q

It's a Schwinn Tourist, and I LOVED it. It was my height, it could respond to barely any pressure(I rode down the aisles), and it looked beautiful...but the tires were road tires. No grip at all.
Another week of frustrated calls to Target(3 per day) proved to be worthless-they weren't listening, and I doubted they could do anything about it anyways.

So I was wondering if there's anything I could do about it...hybrid tires on a almost-road bike...Please help! And if I can't, are there any similar bikes under $270???

PLEASE RESPOND. I love this bike and really want it, but can't get it with the road tires

Thanks,
LilBallerx8
Age: 14, Weight: 95, Height: 5', Suggested Frame: 14-15"

The Schwinn doesn't look half bad for a big-box bike. It's too bad it doesn't come in different sizes, though.

Bike shop hybrids generally start at around $400, discounted. The bike I'm really enthusiastic for in this price range is the Trek 7.1 FX. It's quite light, it handles like crazy, it's rugged and simple, and you can get it with a 15" frame in any color as long as it's black. But it looks good in black.

hmm 400 bucks is waaay over my range sorry
Any ideas of changing tires for less then 30 bucks?

please post replies people :(

last spring my wife and I purchased a Trek 7000 and Trek 7000WSD (womans version) We have used them to run errands around town, ride a trail converted from a railbed, and other rides we even pull 2 two year olds in a trailer with them and love them so far. they are a little more then your 270 budged and about 330 new but I've seen them used for 180 to 260. hope this helps if you can save up 60 more bones it would be worth it.

LilBallerx8 said:
hmm 400 bucks is waaay over my range sorry
Any ideas of changing tires for less then 30 bucks?

please post replies people :(

Kenda Keen Commuter tires 700x45
Roll With It - Kenda Keen Commuter Tire
It's only $10 each at Nashbar and was $17 shipping to Canada. So, inside the US, it should be a lot cheaper. It has just enough grip and has a tread design to dissipate water. Don't laugh at the cheap price. I've had lots of bicycles from Canadian Tire with Kenda tires on them.