Need ideas for hill rides

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jess

I want some ideas for some hill rides - I want around 40-60k. I will be driving out to the start.. I
have been told to avoid Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd as it will be busy and I know to avoid Melba Highway
(lots of drivers not paying attention to the road)

I will be starting out at either yarra glen or the basin. Im leaning toward yarra glen at the moment
as it has a good bakery (the basin only has a milk bar)

I have a few ideas already. (All the basin rides I want to include the 1 in
20)45k The Basin-Sassafras-Olinda-Monbulk-Mt Evelyn-Kilsyth-The Basin 47k The
Basin-Sassafras-Emerald-Monbulk-Kallista-Sassafras-The Basin 47k The
Basin-Sassafras-Kallista-Emerald-Monbulk-Olinda-Sassafras-The Basin

63k Yarra Glen-Chum Creek-Toolangi-Healesville-Yarra Glen (climbs Healsville-Toolangi Rd) 60k Yarra
Glen-Healesville-Toolangi-Chum Creek-Yarra Glen (climbs Myers Creek Rd)

What do you think (I am training for the alpine classic 85k)

Also what is "The Wall" I might give it a try (If I knew where it was!)

Jess

Originally posted by Jess
I want some ideas for some hill rides - I want around 40-60k. I will be driving out to the start.. I
have been told to avoid Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd as it will be busy and I know to avoid Melba Highway

I will be starting out at either yarra glen or the basin. Im leaning toward yarra glen at the moment

63k Yarra Glen-Chum Creek-Toolangi-Healesville-Yarra Glen (climbs Healsville-Toolangi Rd) 60k Yarra

Jess

Jess,

Did a ride around the Dandenongs on Sunday for the first time with a friend. Rode out from Ringwood and the first climb he took me up was "The Wall". That is one hell of a climb. It starts from Monbulk and you go up Olinda-Monbulk Rd to Olinda. I did it in a 42-23 gear and was finding it hard to turn the padals at times. Would probably be much better with a 39 chainring. There's just no taking it easy on that climb.

We then did the 1/20 which was a lot easier.

Don't know enough about the area to give you any ideas but there's a really good site that the same friend put me on.
www.cycle2max.com has heaps of hill climbs listed and people (including elite riders) put their times down for the hill climbs. The 1/20 is featured quite a bit on that site. Check it out for some ideas.

(lots of drivers not paying attention to the road)Jess

Jess
All the routes you listed will be good training for the Alpine. I used Mt Donna Buang for my Alpine training & will be doing so again. It's about 17 kms with the first 7 being the steepest. In that way it's a good model for Mt Buffalo, ie steeper at first & easing off. I think Buffalo is a 22 km climb, gate to the gap then down/flat/undulating to the chalet. I usually alternate hill & distance training each weekend & work up to 3/4 distance + hill.
Cheers
Steve

"Jess" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want some ideas for some hill rides - I want around 40-60k. I will
be
> driving out to the start..

One of my mates rides out to Kinglake area through Warrandyte. There's meant to be some
reasonable hills there, though from what I know, they might be a bit small or not steep enough
for the Alpine Classic?

hippy

If you want a hill Jess in Victoria to train on, look no further than my training ground.

Mt Donna Buang is the number one steepest hill, gradient wise. 14 kms to the top and it rises a LOT.

Do it three times a day, three times a week and you will become a great climber. This is what I did two years ago for the Audax and I rode with the lead bunch up Buffolo on my MTB...came in about 6th or 7th (I know its not a race....) on the 100km ride, all thanks to riding this beast of a hill....

If you head out there soon, give me call and I will show you a cool way to ride down it...MTB only!

Mt Macedon north-west of Melbourne is a good ride. There are a few nice deserted tree lined roads surrounding the Mt as well.

The Woodend to Macedon side of the Mt is the best to go up first due to the steep hairpin bends. The other side towards Gisborne is fairly straight and a nice descent.

Jess

I second all the above replies, especially the longer climbs like Donna Buang (although it's a bit of a beast!). Gradient wise Buffalo is not super steep - first 5km at a bit over 6%, then 14km at about 5.5% except for a ~1km false flat at the halfway mark. The main thing is to make sure you get in a good rhythm and don't push too hard at the beginning especially if it's hot. Any rides that include climbs at these sort of gradients or a bit steeper, with climbing sections of at least 25 minutes plus, should be great training. Do plenty of these and you'll wish you'd entered the 130 or the 200!

Originally posted by OzSkier
Did a ride around the Dandenongs on Sunday for the first time with a friend. Rode out from Ringwood and the first climb he took me up was "The Wall". That is one hell of a climb. It starts from Monbulk and you go up Olinda-Monbulk Rd to Olinda. I did it in a 42-23 gear and was finding it hard to turn the padals at times. Would probably be much better with a 39 chainring. There's just no taking it easy on that climb.
[/B]

I've always heard "The Wall" referred to as a climb out of Belgrave, turning left at the first street after the shops (Terry's Ave,. which goes to Ferny Creek).

It's very steep in sections, there's three main sectors which are very tough.

Originally posted by Shabby
I've always heard "The Wall" referred to as a climb out of Belgrave, turning left at the first street after the shops (Terry's Ave,. which goes to Ferny Creek).

It's very steep in sections, there's three main sectors which are very tough.

Nup, check out www.cycle2max.com for details.

I think I know the one you're referring to though. I commented to my friend about it as we rode past. I looks really steep at the very start of the climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.