Need Info on American Classic Wheels

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scottw44, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    Hi All:

    I am considering a set of American Classic 420's and would like to hear both positive and negative
    opinions from the group.

    I weigh 175, so I am thinking of a 24/20 spoke set up to handle my size, vs.
    20/16.

    Also, I live in windy South Florida, so I am thinking DT Revos up front, same for the rear but DT
    comps on the drive side. I am thinking bladed spokes are not the most effective for crosswinds.

    I tend to do 3 20-30 mile rides during the week, and my weekends are 50+ each day with the
    occasional 80 miler and a few centuries a year.

    OK, opinions please

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    Scott,

    Suggest you call (Mike?) Garcia at Oddsandendos and pose these question to him. He'll shoot you
    straight ... then he'll build you up a really fine set of wheels at a really fine price.
    www.oddsandendos.com.

    Bob C. "scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All:
    >
    > I am considering a set of American Classic 420's and would like to hear
    both
    > positive and negative opinions from the group.
    >
    > I weigh 175, so I am thinking of a 24/20 spoke set up to handle my size,
    vs.
    > 20/16.
    >
    > Also, I live in windy South Florida, so I am thinking DT Revos up front, same for the rear but DT
    > comps on the drive side. I am thinking bladed spokes are not the most effective for crosswinds.
    >
    > I tend to do 3 20-30 mile rides during the week, and my weekends are 50+ each day with the
    > occasional 80 miler and a few centuries a year.
    >
    > OK, opinions please

  3. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    Thanx...I called Mike last week and spoke at lenght, and then never heard back from him.

    Oh well...

    Here is what I decided. I am having the wheels I describe built by American Classic, and I ordered
    through my LBS, which makes me happy.

    thanx for the help...

    scott

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Scott,
    >
    > Suggest you call (Mike?) Garcia at Oddsandendos and pose these question to him. He'll shoot you
    > straight ... then he'll build you up a really fine
    set
    > of wheels at a really fine price. www.oddsandendos.com.
    >
    > Bob C. "scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi All:
    > >
    > > I am considering a set of American Classic 420's and would like to hear
    > both
    > > positive and negative opinions from the group.
    > >
    > > I weigh 175, so I am thinking of a 24/20 spoke set up to handle my size,
    > vs.
    > > 20/16.
    > >
    > > Also, I live in windy South Florida, so I am thinking DT Revos up front, same for the rear but
    > > DT comps on the drive side. I am thinking bladed spokes are not the most effective for
    > > crosswinds.
    > >
    > > I tend to do 3 20-30 mile rides during the week, and my weekends are 50+ each day with the
    > > occasional 80 miler and a few centuries a year.
    > >
    > > OK, opinions please

  4. Eric Penn

    Eric Penn Guest

    My cycling coach is trying to push me towards some American Classic CP-420 wheels (instead of the
    Kysrium SSC SLs that I've been lusting after). I like to be an informed buyer, but I cannot locate
    any info on the web about these wheels other than that they exist. Do you know of any reviews and/or
    opinion sites where these wheels are talked about? Thanks for any info you can provide!

  5. Eric Penn wrote:

    > My cycling coach is trying to push me towards some American Classic CP-420 wheels (instead of the
    > Kysrium SSC SLs that I've been lusting after). I like to be an informed buyer, but I cannot locate
    > any info on the web about these wheels other than that they exist. Do you know of any reviews
    > and/or opinion sites where these wheels are talked about? Thanks for any info you can provide!

    A quick google search turns up: http://www.amclassic.com/420_Wheels.html

    They're cr-420, not cp-420

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they are held by most to be the
    lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

  6. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    "Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Eric Penn wrote:
    >
    > > My cycling coach is trying to push me towards some American Classic CP-420 wheels (instead of
    > > the Kysrium SSC SLs that I've been lusting after). I like to be an informed buyer, but I cannot
    > > locate any info on the web about these wheels other than that they exist. Do you know of any
    > > reviews and/or opinion sites where these wheels are talked about? Thanks for any info you can
    > > provide!
    >
    > A quick google search turns up: http://www.amclassic.com/420_Wheels.html
    >
    > They're cr-420, not cp-420
    >
    > --
    > Benjamin Lewis

    Ok, the wheels came in today and looked great. They rolled great, and were light.

    I enjoyed speaking with the company on the phone, the wheel builder was accessible, and they built
    them and got them right out.

    I don't know why, but the tires would not stay seated and twice I blew tires off each rim off in 2
    short test rides. 4 blow outs...4 tubes...in 3 miles.

    The LBS was amazed, as was I, as were two other friends of the shop that were there experiencing
    this with me. Thanx Randy and Burt for humouring me through a tough afternoon. But heck a bad day
    at the shop is better than a good day at work, and I have a great shop and a great relationship
    with the owner

    The flats...Each flat on the inside of the tube, no pinch, no seeming explanation...strange stuff
    indeed. Safely put, the tires would not stay seated and my LBS, a former racer who trained for the
    80 Olympics as well as being a master wheel builder was baffled.

    I have 13k miles on my Mavic Open Pros in the past 18 months w/ nary a problem and I am looking for
    a problem free wheel. I am distance rider and need to be on something fairly fail safe and bullet
    proof. I just wanted something lighter and more aero.

    Anyway, after 2 test drives, the shop owner said he is sending the wheels back to the company.

    And I ordered a set of Ksyrium SSC SL's.

    This is a great example of why a great LBS makes even your worst night mare a positive ending. Thank
    you to Rich Cohen of All Bicycles, Deerfield Beach for making another wise dreary day come true at
    the end. If you are in Florida, or not, this man is simply great with a bike. He should be checked
    out at www.allbicycles.com

    He resolved everything with AC, boxed the wheels up, ordered my Mavics, had my cassette back on my
    Open Pro's, which he cleaned....all in the time that it took me to order Chinese food.

    To me, it looks like AC makes beautiful hubs, but wheel wise, I want to hear what others have to
    say, as my experience was odd to say the least.

    In my short test ride, the hubs were humming, and the bike definitely felt faster. The company was
    accessible, and they took back their product. No harm, no foul.

    your mileage may vary...

    scott