NEED INFO ON ..K2 ZED 4.9 29er MOUNTAIN BIKE

K2CURIOUS

Jun 10, 2014
Hi all,
I recently saw a K2 Zed 4.9 MTB in Sports Authority, originally $699..it's on sale for $389.00
and I have a 20% off coupon to boot, bringing it to around $310.00 or so plus tax.
There is absolutely no information available about this bike anywhere, specs or otherwise,
Im wondering if it's a discontinued model.
Can anyone out there help me out?..thank you in advance

This is the only pic I could find on Ebay

At $310, just looking at the specs I could find online, it's a pretty good buy. It's a notch above the average $200-$300 department store bike. It also appears to be a 2013 model on closeout...so yeah, I would agree with your discontinued comment. And what's odd is that the I did not find a 29'er on the 2014 K2 website and online catalog.

It might make a fun beginner's trail rig and if something breaks or wears out quickly, you're still in the game cheap enough to upgrade a few pieces.

Stop in at a local bike store or two and see what an equivalent Trek/Cannondale/Specialized/etc. would run and choose from see if the savings sway you over the LBS's service and perhaps the better quality of the major brands.

Thank You that helps a lot!!!.......just curious where you found any info, I couldn't find specs anywhere Thank You again

Various Google searches turned up:

RockShox XC28, Tektro Novela disc brakes.

Had to filter out a lot of Zed 4.4 and 4.6 results.

From here: http://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/772415-new-rig-entry-level-29er-review.html

Frame 6061 Aluminum 29" Wheel Mountain Hardtail, Custom Blend Tubing Crankset Funn Thrilla, White
Rear Shock N/A Bottom Bracket VP - BC73, Sealed Cartridge
Fork SR Suntour, XCT-V3, 100mm, White Pedals Wellgo Alloy
Headset VP - Threadless 1-1/8" Rims Alloy Double Wall 32 Hole
Stem Alloy: XSM-SML = EXT:90mm / MED-XLG = EXT:105mm, 10Deg Front Hub Alloy Disc QR
Handlebars Alloy Mid-Riser Rear Hubs Alloy Cassette Disc QR
Grips Black MTB Spokes 14G Steel, Black
Front Brakes Tektro Novella Mechanical Disc 160mm Rotor White Tires WTB Nano, 29"X2.1"
Rear Brake Tektro Novella Mechanical Disc 160mm Rotor White Seat Post Alloy 27.2mmX 300mm
Brake Levers Tektro 2 Finger Saddle WTB Valcon Comp w/ Custom K2 Logo
Front Derailleur SunRace Top Swing Seat Binder Alloy QR
Rear Derailleur Sram X.3 Colors Blue, Red
Shift Lever Sram X.4 Trigger Sizes SML, MED, LRG
Cassette / Freewheel Shimano CS-HG30, 12-32T, 8 Speed Extras Refectors & Owners Manual
Chain KMC Z-72

I'm wondering if the 4.9 was a special build done just for Academy and perhaps a couple other retailers.

Some close up shots of a 4.9 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJV3_lM0wA

Overall, it's a mix of decent, but not anything more than solid entry level components, pieces parts. Replacing a failed or trashed part with some other brand of part would not make an owner cry or cause him to go crazoid trying to match up an OEM piece.

As you can see, Rock Shox and some shimaNO parts were substituted in some build variations...the bike is built to a price point, not a quality level or spec sheet. You are going to find a lot of no-name Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean parts on any bike in the $200-$750 price range and the K2 line is no exception.

Almost all bikes in this price range will require tuning, adjusting, attention to maintenance and careful torquing of the lower grade fasteners found on them. There's still plenty of fun riding and learning of mechanical skills to be gained from them.