Need instruction sheet for Shimano DA bar-ends

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gareth Beale, May 28, 2003.

  1. Gareth Beale

    Gareth Beale Guest

    Just bought a new pair of DA bar-ends of ebay, but the installation instructions are not there (I
    knew this ahead of time). Looks pretty straightforward, but I'd like to see the official
    installation sheet.

    Probably the same as for any set of Shimano bar-ends. If you have a link that would work too, but
    please make it more specific than shimano.com.

    Any tips or previous experience welcomed also.

    Thanks,

    Gareth Beale

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Gareth Beale) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just bought a new pair of DA bar-ends of ebay, but the installation instructions are not there (I
    > knew this ahead of time). Looks pretty straightforward, but I'd like to see the official
    > installation sheet.
    >
    > Probably the same as for any set of Shimano bar-ends. If you have a link that would work too, but
    > please make it more specific than shimano.com.
    >
    > Any tips or previous experience welcomed also.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gareth Beale

    I'm afraid it doesn't exist.

    The general tech page on DuraAce components is here:
    http://bike.shimano.com/services/tech_info_b.asp?cat=Road&pg=Dura-Ace

    Derailleur adjustment can be seen here:
    http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/SL/si_images/SL_7700_SI.pdf

    There is an exploded view of the bar-end shifters here:
    http://bike.shimano.com/product_images/SL/ev_images/Sl_BS77_EV.pdf

    Basically, from the photo of the shifters and the exploded view, you should be able to
    understand it.

    A few extra notes:

    The little "snake-like" plastic part (see pdf) which may or may not be included (I think it depended
    on the manufacturing year of the bar-end shifters) is used to conceal the cable housing on the
    bottom side of the bars, _under_ the bar tape. You need to run cable housing from the bar-end
    shifter to the appropriate stops on the downtube.

    If you don't have the "snake-like" plastic part, don't worry. I used to have it and broke one when
    retaping my bars last year. No difference in comfort and in aesthetics.

    Finally, there are a few theories as to where the cable housings and cables should run.

    1. The most common is to conceal the housing under the down parts of the bars (the mostly horizontal
    ones), and to let it do an open "U" in front of the bike. I found that if you toe the housings a
    bit inboard, there is less chance of conflict between fingers and housings when you grab the
    brakes in a hurry.

    2. Running housing the Aero way. When I retaped the bars, I have hidden the housing all the way
    under the bar tape. Roughly, it starts underneath the bottom part of the handlebars, then
    continues all the way, following the aero brake cable. It exits at the same place the aero brake
    cable exists. IT's neat, but there are a few drawbacks:
    a. STI cable (proper name?) is hard to bend along the handlebar. One needs 3 hands and some
    electrical tape.
    b. Longer cables are required. On my 25" frame with 46-cm handlebars, I needed a tandem-length
    shifter cable for the rear derailleur, as the regular one was about 30 cm too short. Alternately,
    you could use an adaptor to bolt two cables together. I didn't have a "front" derailleur cable to
    try, but there is no problem in using a regular rear cable to the front derailleur.
    c. Shifting is said to be a bit sloppier. It might be a problem for indexed shifting, especially in
    sloppy conditions; however, I shift in friction mode a 9-speed cassette with 8-speed shifters.
    Previous to that, I didn't like that much indexed shifting in Winter, even with the shorter
    cable route.

    BTW, on some frames (with technique 2 and if you don't have a water bottle under the downtube), it
    might be easier to cross cables under the downtube.

    Regards,

    Michel Gagnon

  3. Michel Gagnon wrote:

    "The little "snake-like" plastic part (see pdf) which may or may not be included (I think it
    depended on the manufacturing year of the bar-end shifters) is used to conceal the cable housing on
    the bottom side of the bars, _under_ the bar tape. You need to run cable housing from the bar-end
    shifter to the appropriate stops on the downtube."

    Really? I always thought this was so you could remove/replace the housing without unwrapping the
    bars, simply slide them in and out.

    Never used it myself, my bars have laced leather, housings slide in without it.

  4. Ed Rasberry

    Ed Rasberry Guest

    Shimano's website has the same instructions included w/ the part available as a pdf on thier site.

    Gareth Beale wrote:
    > Just bought a new pair of DA bar-ends of ebay, but the installation instructions are not there (I
    > knew this ahead of time). Looks pretty straightforward, but I'd like to see the official
    > installation sheet.
    >
    > Probably the same as for any set of Shimano bar-ends. If you have a link that would work too, but
    > please make it more specific than shimano.com.
    >
    > Any tips or previous experience welcomed also.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gareth Beale

  5. Ed Rasberry

    Ed Rasberry Guest

    Uhh, strike that it's one of just a few they don't have the instructions for.