Need larger tires on my road bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Slider2699, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    I currently ride a 1995 KHS Aero Turbo(52cm). I do more commuting than training, and I'd like to go
    to a larger, softer riding tire. I currently ride 700x23c, and I don't know how to tell how large a
    tire I can run? What do I need to measure?

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Slider2699" <[email protected]> wrote in news:nw0ma.138332$j8.3044450 @twister.tampabay.rr.com:
    > I currently ride a 1995 KHS Aero Turbo(52cm). I do more commuting than training, and I'd like to
    > go to a larger, softer riding tire. I currently ride 700x23c, and I don't know how to tell how
    > large a tire I can run? What do I need to measure?

    How much space is there between the top of your current tires and your brake arms?

  3. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Slider2699" <[email protected]> wrote in news:nw0ma.138332$j8.3044450 @twister.tampabay.rr.com:
    > > I currently ride a 1995 KHS Aero Turbo(52cm). I do more commuting than training, and I'd like to
    > > go to a larger, softer riding tire. I
    currently
    > > ride 700x23c, and I don't know how to tell how large a tire I can run?
    What
    > > do I need to measure?
    >
    > How much space is there between the top of your current tires and your
    brake
    > arms?

    Looks like just under 1cm on the front and 1 cm on the back.

  4. "Slider2699" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I currently ride a 1995 KHS Aero Turbo(52cm). I do more commuting than training, and I'd like to
    > go to a larger, softer riding tire. I currently ride 700x23c, and I don't know how to tell how
    > large a tire I can run?
    What
    > do I need to measure?
    >
    > Mike

    Tires from different manufacturers will be different sizes even if they are listed as the same size.
    You'll have to find out by look and see/trial and error.

  5. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    "Slider2699" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I currently ride a 1995 KHS Aero Turbo(52cm). I do more commuting than training, and I'd like to
    > go to a larger, softer riding tire. I currently ride 700x23c, and I don't know how to tell how
    > large a tire I can run? What do I need to measure?
    >
    > Mike

    you might want to look at the rivendell rolly-poly. it's labeled as a 28, but actually measures 27,
    and their site says it's the biggest tire that will fit most standard road bikes. as soon as i wear
    out my michelins, i'm putting a set on my lemond poprad. i've checked the opinions on several
    different sites, and the posters all rave about their ride and low rolling resistance.
    <rivendellbicycles.com> smokey

  6. "Slider2699" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I currently ride a 1995 KHS Aero Turbo(52cm). I do more commuting than training, and I'd like to
    > go to a larger, softer riding tire. I currently ride 700x23c, and I don't know how to tell how
    > large a tire I can run? What do I need to measure?

    you'll probably be able to fit 700cx25mm.

    any bigger, well....

    why not ride it into a shop with a pair of tire levers and ask if you can try a few tires on your
    rims and frame?

    -Luigi

    > Mike

  7. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    "Slider2699" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I currently ride a 1995 KHS Aero Turbo(52cm). I do more commuting than training, and I'd like to
    > go to a larger, softer riding tire. I currently ride 700x23c, and I don't know how to tell how
    > large a tire I can run? What do I need to measure?

    Visit a friendly local shop and try some on. 28mm should be possible, but try a 32mm tire for good
    measure. Check for adequate clearance at the brakes and chainstays.

    Panaracer Pasela 700x35 (about 32mm actual) is a very nicely made and inexpensive tire for the
    purposes, if it fits.

    Chalo Colina

  8. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    > Panaracer Pasela 700x35 (about 32mm actual) is a very nicely made and inexpensive tire for the
    > purposes, if it fits.

    The Pasela also comes in smaller sizes (28 mm). Nice tire, a fraction of the price of the "Roly
    Poly", made by the same company.

  9. Dilute

    Dilute Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:34:59 +0000, Slider2699 wrote:

    > I currently ride a 1995 KHS Aero Turbo(52cm). I do more commuting than training, and I'd like to
    > go to a larger, softer riding tire. I currently ride 700x23c, and I don't know how to tell how
    > large a tire I can run? What do I need to measure?

    The real showstoppers I think are the upper inside surfaces of the fork (esp. carbon forks), and the
    inner chainstays near the seat tube, which often taper in with just enough clearance for a skinny
    tire. There's not much you can do about those issues if those clearances are too small. An "Aero"
    frame (like yours) is likely to have problems like this, I would think.

    What I did was buy a Surly Cross-Check frame for $399, which is thoroughly designed to accommodate
    fat 700 tires.

  10. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Panaracer Pasela 700x35 (about 32mm actual) is a very nicely made and inexpensive tire for the
    > > purposes, if it fits.
    >
    > The Pasela also comes in smaller sizes (28 mm). Nice tire, a fraction of
    the
    > price of the "Roly Poly", made by the same company.

    But you can be sure that 28 measures 24-25mm. If you want a 28mm Pasela, order the 32.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  11. On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:34:59 +0000, Slider2699 wrote:

    > I currently ride a 1995 KHS Aero Turbo(52cm). I do more commuting than training, and I'd like to
    > go to a larger, softer riding tire. I currently ride 700x23c, and I don't know how to tell how
    > large a tire I can run? What do I need to measure?

    If you go from a 23 to a 25mm tire -- keep with the same brand so the measurement should be off by
    the same amount -- then you would add 2mm to the diameter. The problem will be not the width, but
    the height. The cross-section of a tire ss a circle, cut off at the point of contact with the rim.
    Now, because of the truncation of that circle, you won't be adding a full 2mm to the height, but
    probably 1.5mm or so.

    Be sure to allow a little extra clearance. I sometimes use tires that are real close to the max that
    will fit on my bike, and I have gotten gravel jammed between the wheel and the brake, which cut a
    groove all around the tire.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | There is always an easy solution to every human problem - neat, _`\(,_ | plausible, and
    wrong. --H.L. Mencken (_)/ (_) |

  12. On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 01:33:03 +0000, Slider2699 wrote:

    > Looks like just under 1cm on the front and 1 cm on the back.

    That's lots of room. You should be able to ride 28's, easily. -- again, of the same brand.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
    (_)/ (_) |

  13. On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:34:50 -0400, smokey wrote:

    > you might want to look at the rivendell rolly-poly. it's labeled as a 28, but actually measures
    > 27, and their site says it's the biggest tire that will fit most standard road bikes. as soon as i
    > wear out my michelins, i'm putting a set on my lemond poprad. i've checked the opinions on several
    > different sites, and the posters all rave about their ride and low rolling resistance.
    > <rivendellbicycles.com>

    I have them on 2 singles and a tandem. They're fabulous tires.

  14. On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 08:13:30 -0400, Peter Cole wrote:

    >> Panaracer Pasela 700x35 (about 32mm actual) is a very nicely made and inexpensive tire for the
    >> purposes, if it fits.
    >
    > The Pasela also comes in smaller sizes (28 mm). Nice tire, a fraction of the price of the "Roly
    > Poly", made by the same company.

    I use the 700x35 Paselas on my commuter, and RollyPollys on two road bikes and a tandem. These two
    tires are _very_ different. The Paselas are wonderful touring and commuting tires: stury, long
    wearing, but they aren't nearly as fast, light, or sporty handling as the RPs.

  15. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Steve Palincsar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > I use the 700x35 Paselas on my commuter, and RollyPollys on two road bikes and a tandem. These two
    > tires are _very_ different. The Paselas are wonderful touring and commuting tires: stury, long
    > wearing, but they aren't nearly as fast, light, or sporty handling as the RPs.

    The Rivendells (Panaracer) and Avocets (Panaracer also, I think) and the Paselas (Panaracer) are all
    very similar in weight (around 300 g), so that answers the "light" issue.

    As far as "fast" goes, there's only rolling resistance to be determined. As far as I know, nobody
    has numbers on these tires.

    When it comes to "sporty handling", I'm at a complete loss. As far as I'm concerned, all tires
    handle the same on pavement until they lose traction, at which point they also pretty much act the
    same. The only difference is what it takes for them to break traction. I don't know about you, but
    that's a rare event for me, so the difference between those tires (if there was one) wouldn't be
    something I'd notice on a regular basis.

    I'm sure the "Roll-y Pol-y" is a nice tire, as Panaracer makes pretty nice tires in general, but at
    $40 a pop, with the "member's" discount, I think they're a rip. The "checkerboard technology" is
    really dumb. The Avocets were honest slicks, the Paselas have some gratuitous tread, but I notice
    now that even the Avocets are offering a "file tread" version.

  16. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    > On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 01:33:03 +0000, Slider2699 wrote:
    >
    > > Looks like just under 1cm on the front and 1 cm on the back.
    >
    > That's lots of room. You should be able to ride 28's, easily. -- again, of the same brand.

    Thanks David! I'll definitely check in to that. I'm currently running Panaracer Orbiters, so I'll
    see what Panaracer has to offer in a 28!

  17. "Slider2699" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I currently ride a 1995 KHS Aero Turbo(52cm). I do more commuting than training, and I'd like to
    > go to a larger, softer riding tire. I currently ride 700x23c, and I don't know how to tell how
    > large a tire I can run? What do I need to measure?
    >
    > Mike

    In addition to measuring the clearance around your brake, as someone else suggested, check also
    the amount of clearance between the existing tire and the two chain stays. Some bikes are very
    tight there.

    I'm surprised that no one mentioned this already.

    Tom

  18. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Steve Palincsar" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > I use the 700x35 Paselas on my commuter, and RollyPollys on two road bikes and a tandem. These
    > > two tires are _very_ different. The Paselas are wonderful touring and commuting tires: stury,
    > > long wearing, but they aren't nearly as fast, light, or sporty handling as the RPs.
    >
    > The Rivendells (Panaracer) and Avocets (Panaracer also, I think) and the Paselas (Panaracer) are
    > all very similar in weight (around 300 g), so that answers the "light" issue.
    >
    > As far as "fast" goes, there's only rolling resistance to be determined. As far as I know, nobody
    > has numbers on these tires.

    I have had Panaracer Paselas in 28, 32, and 35mm sizes. The 28 and 32 seem to share an identical
    thin and lightweight casing construction, and weigh alike in proportion to their sizes. The 35mm
    version uses a somewhat stiffer, heavier casing and weighs noticeably more, though it is still one
    of the lightest tires I am willing to use.

    Steve's comments about the Pasela 700x35 vs. Riv Roly Poly are probably more indicative of the size
    difference than anything. If he were comparing against the Pasela 700x32, he'd likely find the tires
    more similar.

    For my part, I notice the superior ride and rollover of the 700x35 tires, but no speed or handling
    shortcomings. Perhaps if I climbed faster I'd notice some difference, but downhill the 35mm tires
    seem to roll out as far as anything I've tried.

    Chalo Colina

  19. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > The Rivendells (Panaracer) and Avocets (Panaracer also, I think)

    The Avocets are made by IRC.

    Art Harris