Need more gears between 28 and 34t on cassette....

10kman

Aug 19, 2012
I'm looking for a lower than 28t option cassette.

Finding many go to 32, 34, or 36t for my application.

Unfortunately there's a jump from 28 to 32, or from 26 to 30 to 34, or 28 32 36.

Is there a 10 speed, Shimano/Sram cassette available that does a 28-30-32, or 28-30-32-34 for the largest cogs? I'd prefer the second option there getting me to a 34t in the rear. Looking to revamp my gearing for some climbs and want the most options available in that low range, without huge jumps.

Thanks.

FYI. A 4t jump in the low range is not as significant as a 4t jump in the high range ...

If you really think that you want TWO tightly spaced bailout Cogs, then contact HARRIS CYCLERY to see if they will cobble one together for you.

Nope. You'd have to build your own by cobbling one together from several donor cassettes.

What do you have now that you don't like? My cassette is 11-28, and the final jump is 24-28, and I don't find it to be a huge jump, because it's a fairly small change in circumference of the cog.

OR, switch your Crankset to a "Compact" 110BCD Crankset with either 50/t34t or 52t/36t Chainrings ...

• if you are already using a 50/34 Crankset, then switch to a 48/32 104BCD Crankset

And, adjust your Cassette's stack, accordingly.

I have an 11-28 now, and a compact, and the 34/28 is too tall for my sweet spot cadence/power (is my theory).

I am thinking this through more now after typing it out and the 4t jump isn't that big in the larger cogs, I was for some reason picturing the rear der possibly having an issue moving that many teeth quickly but in reality it won't. I think maybe a XTR cassette may work, they have a 26-30-34 option for a MTB style, could do the trick.

Darn things are so expensive though to dabble with.......

Thanks all.

Will getting rid of yer 11t make any difference in adding to the low range?

I've been riding and racing on a compact with a 12t+ cassette for awhile now. I spin out at about 48-49mph on a decent dowhill and can wring it out to 52mph with a good tuck. Found plenty of coconuts telling me I won't be able to sprint with that gearing (don't even really know what that means) but none who can get down a mountain faster.

I actually don't need anything in the smaller cog area, i'm planning on doing a climbing only bike, so they won't come into play at all. I sorta wish I could piece one together but the cost of doing so, for such limited use doesn't seem practical. Better off just making sure I can turn the gears I go with, eg train more, than worry about it too much.

Originally Posted by 10kman .

I actually don't need anything in the smaller cog area, i'm planning on doing a climbing only bike, so they won't come into play at all. I sorta wish I could piece one together but the cost of doing so, for such limited use doesn't seem practical. Better off just making sure I can turn the gears I go with, eg train more, than worry about it too much.
By low range I meant in the big cog area of the cassette. I.e. getting rid of the smallest cassette cog (11t) to free up room for another big one for climbing country. Having the "speed demon" cog is nice but I'm guessing it's the cleanest one on your cassette.