Need more saddle tilt

calisonic

Mar 6, 2023
My mtb currently uses this type of seat post head:

[Adjustable Component Bike Single Nail Head Seat Post Head Seatpost Chuck https://a.co/d/9M5076W](adjustable component bike single nail head seat post head seatpost chuck https://a.co/d/9M5076W)

I've tried a couple but they all seem to have the same level of adjustment, which isn't enough downwards tilt unfortunately. Is there something out there that can help?

I haven't had too many bikes but it seems the issue stems from the frame having the seatpost mount angled rearward, so that most seats are only just level when titled all the way forward.

Thanks in advance.

Can that seatpost head work with different seatposts?

I think the only solution is to find a seatpost that gives more forward tilt. OR find a chromoly steel seatpost with setback and have it bent forward in a machine shop that has equipment for cold-bending steel tubes.

There are bent forward seatposts you can buy, however, they may not have enough forward tilt in your situation that's why I suggested you get a regular steel setback seatpost and have it bent forward in a machine shop so you'll get tons more adjustment for downward tilt.

Reactions: calisonic
Can that seatpost head work with different seatposts?

I think the only solution is to find a seatpost that gives more forward tilt. OR find a chromoly steel seatpost with setback and have it bent forward in a machine shop that has equipment for cold-bending steel tubes.

There are bent forward seatposts you can buy, however, they may not have enough forward tilt in your situation that's why I suggested you get a regular steel setback seatpost and have it bent forward in a machine shop so you'll get tons more adjustment for downward tilt.
It's fairly universal from what I can tell. The post I have now though has a spring in it which I'd like to keep if possible.

Thanks.

So I am gonna go with adding one of these leaf spring style seat springs.

It should add some downward tilt and hopefully not be too soft. If it doesn't work out, I'll go with one of the angled posts.

Attachments

• 9k=(1).jpg
    9k=(1).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2
So I am gonna go with adding one of these leaf spring style seat springs.

It should add some downward tilt and hopefully not be too soft. If it doesn't work out, I'll go with one of the angled posts.

No! I beg of you, don't use that product! It's a horrible product, I have one and have since took it out of my bike! Unless you weigh 140 lbs or less, it's going to suck.

It just bounces all over and made me sea sick. And then if you brake hard, it feels like it wants to throw you off the seat, quite dangerous!

I had to tie the ends with steel cable under load so it doesn't keep on bouncing all over and throw you off whenever you brake. It's also prone to fatigue failure and cracking according to some users. And then finally, it's heavy. I think it weighs 200 grams.

No! I beg of you, don't use that product! It's a horrible product, I have one and have since took it out of my bike! Unless you weigh 140 lbs or less, it's going to suck.

It just bounces all over and made me sea sick. And then if you brake hard, it feels like it wants to throw you off the seat, quite dangerous!

I had to tie the ends with steel cable under load so it doesn't keep on bouncing all over and throw you off whenever you brake. It's also prone to fatigue failure and cracking according to some users. And then finally, it's heavy. I think it weighs 200 grams.
Thanks, probably why a buddy gave it to me for free lol. I have already installed it though and the bouncing doesn't bother me a ton at least for now. As for the weight I've already got ankle weights strapped to the frame so that's alright by me.

Thanks, probably why a buddy gave it to me for free lol. I have already installed it though and the bouncing doesn't bother me a ton at least for now. As for the weight I've already got ankle weights strapped to the frame so that's alright by me.

It's also very cheap probably why he gave it to you for free. I started bouncing when my cadence rpm got over 100 rpm and that's a major problem for me. And ofc, the bouncing made me feel seasick that I could barely look straight.

Another solution available for you is using straight chromoly seatpost and using this clamp type seatpost head with it. This seatpost head gives you huge amount of tilting range. If you really need suspension seat post, "Zoom" branded suspension seatposts are available in straight versions where you can use the same seatpost head as below:

I have such kind of setup in my gravel bike with clamp type seatpost head + Zoom suspension seatpost, with my saddle tilted down -12 degrees. It's a quite a huge down tilt because that's the only way I can sit down balanced without getting pushed back on my saddle.

71M08zQrVgL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I totally get your struggle. Finding the right seat post head for your mountain bike can be a real pain in the butt! I'm not sure if there's a specific seat post head out there that will help with the downward tilt you're looking for, but have you tried adjusting the angle of your saddle rails themselves? Some saddles have angled rails that can help with this issue.

Another option could be to try a dropper post, which can be adjusted with a remote while riding to help you find that perfect angle.

Reactions: calisonic
I totally get your struggle. Finding the right seat post head for your mountain bike can be a real pain in the butt! I'm not sure if there's a specific seat post head out there that will help with the downward tilt you're looking for, but have you tried adjusting the angle of your saddle rails themselves? Some saddles have angled rails that can help with this issue.

Another option could be to try a dropper post, which can be adjusted with a remote while riding to help you find that perfect angle.
Thanks

Saddle rails don't appear to be adjustable on any of my saddles. I can look into dropper posts but I thought those just did height.