Need movtivation

KeSs

Jul 21, 2004
I have only done about 300 miles this month which is dramatically less than previous months. I don't have the same enthusiasm because its cold and there are no races here during the winter. Whats something i can do to get remotivated and get myself spinning or ready for next race season?

300 miles seems plenty. I'm sure the weather is even worse around here - nothing but rain every day.
Maybe you could make a list of your specific goals. You could ride against the clock, do a charity run, work on your bike-handling skills e.t.c.
Usually it helps to watch a TDF video or something prior to a run to get yourself motivated. Mabe some music while you ride could be useful.

KeSs said:
I have only done about 300 miles this month which is dramatically less than previous months. I don't have the same enthusiasm because its cold and there are no races here during the winter. Whats something i can do to get remotivated and get myself spinning or ready for next race season?

Here is an idea.

Get a coach! He/she will tell you what to do!

Best Wishes,

Soo-re

sooray02 said:
Here is an idea. Get a coach! He/she will tell you what to do!
Not quite right. Coaches don't do any of the hard work, and that includes pushing lazy riders!!! Harsh but true.

It is up to the rider to put in all of the effort on the bike, and all of the effort in providing feedback to the coach. The coach (in the most basic form) is just a guidance instrument, a course corrector if you will.

So get off your but soldier, and start haulin' yo' lily-white @ss up some hills! :p

True! It does make sense! I've been involved with Soccer, Basketball and Baseball in highschool and the coaching was a big part of the game, especailly basketball.

rockmuncher said:
So get off your but soldier, and start haulin' yo' lily-white @ss up some hills! :p

That's how my coachs motivated me! And.. when I look back, I liked it when they pushed me hard. Now I'm struggling to do it by myself.

We shall see how it goes this winter :eek:

sooray02 said:
True! It does make sense! I've been involved with Soccer, Basketball and Baseball in highschool and the coaching was a big part of the game, especailly basketball.

That's how my coachs motivated me! And.. when I look back, I liked it when they pushed me hard. Now I'm struggling to do it by myself.

We shall see how it goes this winter :eek:

i think i need a riding partner.......

rockmuncher said:
Not quite right. Coaches don't do any of the hard work, and that includes pushing lazy riders!!! Harsh but true.

It is up to the rider to put in all of the effort on the bike, and all of the effort in providing feedback to the coach. The coach (in the most basic form) is just a guidance instrument, a course corrector if you will.

Rockmuncher, that's one of the funniest avatars I've ever seen!

each day when the time comes to get on my trainer, i get online and look at the results from races i did this year, and think of what i could have done differently and wish i was a little faster so i could hav eplaced a little higher

and i look at the names of guys that really ticked me off but beat me

this all gets me motivated to get back on teh trainer because i know the more time i spend on that thing, the better shape i'll be in when the season starts, and better chances i have of placing higher or beating those jerks who really made me mad!

i also hang up some fliers, standings, pictures, names on my wall so i look at them and that motivates me more to make sure i ride each day

only problem is i still have at least 90 days before the first race of the year which i may not even do cause it'll still be cold out

smnw10 said:
each day when the time comes to get on my trainer, i get online and look at the results from races i did this year, and think of what i could have done differently and wish i was a little faster so i could hav eplaced a little higher

and i look at the names of guys that really ticked me off but beat me

this all gets me motivated to get back on teh trainer because i know the more time i spend on that thing, the better shape i'll be in when the season starts, and better chances i have of placing higher or beating those jerks who really made me mad!

i also hang up some fliers, standings, pictures, names on my wall so i look at them and that motivates me more to make sure i ride each day

only problem is i still have at least 90 days before the first race of the year which i may not even do cause it'll still be cold out
I thought your ideas of imagery are great and to add to those is visualization techniques which are practiced in a variety of sports. I used to spend an hour a day just visualizing the results that I wanted to achieve. Its like daydreaming, but to the next level. At first it is kind of tough, but as you practice you get more focused and can control the winning results in the daydream and the mental vision becomes more clear.

I used to do it for weightlifting. I would try to visualize moving maximum weight. If you can't convince the mind that you are winner the mind will not coax the body very hard to push the real life goal. If that makes any sense. If you can see yourself as winner you have a better chance and once you feel like you can be a winner your desire to train picks up. There a number of ways to motivate this is just another technique to add to the mix.

I am attaching several links to provide proof of how a variety of sports use visualization and turning the mind control into a winner.

http://www.performance-media.com/

http://www.uslaxcamps.com/Features/mentalEdge.asp?sec=tip

http://www.highperformance.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsID=117746&itype=&iCategoryID=

http://www.behaviortherapyny.com/sports.asp

http://www.drugfreesport.com/choices/psychology/

Ahh, visual motivation can be quite effective. I can see a couple of hills from last years Pedal Pittsburgh. I remember not making it up that second hill, and walking the bike up the last 50 yards or so. I don't just want to make those hills this year, I want to beat them to a pulp. I want my heart to be beating as I barely glance back at them, and continue on to the finish. This is no race my friends. It is a ride, on a Sunday, in May. This year I will remember it differently. This year when the ride is over, I will have to find new goals.

Man, I can't wait to get on that trainer tommorrow!
See ya,
Denny