need much better brakes

snrugg

Jan 28, 2004
So I just purchased a Specialized Hardrock comp and am generally happy with it considering how little I spent.

However, the stock disc brakes are completely inadequate for me; I need to walk the bike down steep trails right now. I'd like to be somewhat educated before I return to the bike store with an open check book...

Is an 8" rotor the only way to get a huge boost in stopping power over my current setup (the stock 6" mechanical discs)?

If I get a brake with an 8" rotor, must I also replace the fork?

Thanks!

It depends on the brand of brake you have but for most people an upgrade to a quality 6 inch hydraulic brake will be enough.

If you are heavy or like to ride steep trails then go 8 inch hydraulic.

all you need is an adapter bracket for the fork and the new rotor and brake set up.

I'd suggest something like the Hayes HFX 9. Works for me and i'm no light weight

to get a good idea of what will take some punishment look at te specs of some free ride bikes

Originally posted by snrugg
So I just purchased a Specialized Hardrock comp and am generally happy with it considering how little I spent.

However, the stock disc brakes are completely inadequate for me; I need to walk the bike down steep trails right now. I'd like to be somewhat educated before I return to the bike store with an open check book...

Is an 8" rotor the only way to get a huge boost in stopping power over my current setup (the stock 6" mechanical discs)?

If I get a brake with an 8" rotor, must I also replace the fork?

Thanks!

Well you need to start by breaking them in. New discs will not have much stopping power until about 20 miles and a few long hard stops. Give them time. What brakes did you get?

Originally posted by Hecubus
Well you need to start by breaking them in. New discs will not have much stopping power until about 20 miles and a few long hard stops. Give them time. What brakes did you get?

That makes sense; I'll give them another few rides. I'd be really surprised if they get THAT much stronger, but I am a newbie...

All the spec sheet says is 'Tektro IO mechanical disc, 6" rotor'. The Tektro web site is all but useless, so I don't know much more than that.

Originally posted by snrugg
That makes sense; I'll give them another few rides. I'd be really surprised if they get THAT much stronger, but I am a newbie...

All the spec sheet says is 'Tektro IO mechanical disc, 6" rotor'. The Tektro web site is all but useless, so I don't know much more than that.

Hmmm.... I don't know how good Tektro discs are but I doubt they are among the best. If they never improve a bigger rotor will not make a difference. Discs actually go through a huge change in stopping power as they brake in. When new you can't even get them to lock a wheel. Once bedded in they can launch you over the bars with one finger. Give them time. They really do improve that much. Just ride the bike.

Originally posted by Hecubus
Hmmm.... Once bedded in they can launch you over the bars with one finger. Give them time. They really do improve that much. Just ride the bike.
Hmmm.... appropriate use of technology?...I'm convinced.

Tektro disc brakes are the same as Promax - they are way cheapo - but they do work. They cost about $30 / wheel, as opposed to the much better Avid Mechanicals ($100/wheel), so take from that what you will. I got a cheap IronHorse "Patrol" as a buddy bike, and it has the Tektros on it. Stopping power not much better than v-brakes, but at least they don't get all muddy.