Need new road skins

ACESandElGHTS

Apr 30, 2014
Hi! I've got an '06 Bianchi Veloce with its original 700x23 Vittoria Techno Twin Tread tires, and they've rotted and must be replaced tout suite.

I've looked at various brands (Michelin Lithion 2, Continental Ultra Sport/ Urban Ride, et al), but when it comes down to it, I need just 3 things:

Preface: only clinchers

1) Durability: thick-skinned and heavy is fine; it just needs to last several seasons; it will never be used for anyting but fitness.

2) Size: I need to jump up to 25-28mm to have some more traction and toughness, as this bike is on the street (as opposed to level and clean paths and highways) 80% of the time.

3) Price: $20-$26 price point appeals to my innner cheapness. This excludes Gatorskins and other super-duro tires for the most part.

Please weigh in at your leisure! Thanks!

Conti Ultra Sport... These are available at around 20euro each. Apparently a high mileage tire for training. I havent checked if they make them in 25.

Another would be the Specialized Espoir. I had these stock on the bike and did 4500km on them before I got utterly bored with them. Fast too, maybe a bit heavy (the wired ones). Grip is Ok too.

Just a few small cuts but the tire was fine. I even had a second pair on a commuter I had in 28 (so they make them in 28),

They are available either folding or wire.

The wire ones cost about 20euro each for the 28 I think.

Good luck!
smile.png

I have the Specialized Espoirs that were stock on my Allez (23's) and they have almost 3k miles on them and handled a rough winter and spring of pot holes and **** all over the road. Not a single flat and they still have a bit of life left on them. They are $30 straight from the Specialized site and have them in 23c to 30c.

+1 on the 4-Seasons. Wore my last pair down to nothing with no flats riding some pretty **** roads. Almost feels silly going out with a spare and pump but better safe than sorry. They're pretty supple too and give a nice ride.

Thanks for all suggestions, and I will keep these in mind. I went more of the discount route with what I bought.

On the advice of friends, and owing to a decent sale, I picked up some 28mm 60tpi Clement Strada comps. The price was right, they're super simple and seem to be plenty duro.

The relative "fatness" of these tires, compared to the 23s I rode for years, is so very welcome. I don't hear the wheels suffering whenever I hit a bump, the ride is cushier, cornering feels (and likely is) safer, and I'm not nearly as afraid of a catastrophic--or even inconvenient--blowout.

Nice bonus: they're raven black which is pleasing compared to the black/green/gum Vittorias, and they have this solid, wide look and feel that I haven't really experienced in a road bike since the 70s, after which everything got skinnier, faster, and daintier.

Anyway, thanks!

You can get really nice tires for that price range if you look for sales and closeouts. Black Friday is a good time to stock up on tires. I get $50 to $65 dollar tires all the time for under $30. Most major tire brands have good tires today, just read the reviews of any tire you're considering before buying.

For example right now at Performance Bike they have the Vredestein Volante TriComp tire that sells for $50 for just $30. Nashbar has the 4ZA Cirrus Pro tire that sells for $70 for just $25. You just have to watch the sales and closeouts, read the reviews, and get a tire that fits your needs.

If you need tires now then find the best deal now, but when black friday comes around have some money ready to buy a pair or two of tires, tires will store fine as long as they're kept in a dark medium climate with no electrical motors nearby. Nonsense about tires only being good for a year is pure nonsense, I have a set of tires that came on a bike new from the factory that are still in great riding condition and in fact have rode on them just last last year for a bit before re-storing the tires...the tires came new on a bike built in 1985! Those tires don't have any cracks or other weird markings suggesting some sort of problem either on the thread or the sidewalls. Not suggesting you store tires for 29 years before using, but for a year or so waiting for another set to wear out is more than fine.