Need New Trainer (Your Opinion)

jhuskey

Oct 6, 2003
As much as I hate to think about it I am going to have to get back on the trainer soon because of shortened daylight and real bad weather.

I need a new trainer with a computer that records mileage,watts produced, calories burned and so forth.
Any experiences or suggestions?
Price you ask ,maybe $400.00 or so.
Thanks in advance for your input>

jhuskey said:
As much as I hate to think about it I am going to have to get back on the trainer soon because of shortened daylight and real bad weather.

I need a new trainer with a computer that records mileage,watts produced, calories burned and so forth.
oh hell, just pop on some knobbies and go climb Mt. LaConte..lol

just kidding. I've got one, don't particularly like it. I'm not even sure in what direction to point you. I'd REALLY like to have one of those you can ride to a virtual reality track on, looks like it would be infinitely more interesting. Expensive though.

John

I really like my 1upusa from 1upusa.com

Still boring like the rest, but it's made well, quiet, and has a realistic road feel.

jhuskey said:

Mansmind said:
oh hell, just pop on some knobbies and go climb Mt. LaConte..lol

just kidding. I've got one, don't particularly like it. I'm not even sure in what direction to point you. I'd REALLY like to have one of those you can ride to a virtual reality track on, looks like it would be infinitely more interesting. Expensive though.

John

I need to make it a little more interesting. Even watching TV at the same time is mind numbing but riding at night here would be suicide and drinking beer while on the trainer seems somehow counter productive. So I am hoping a better trainer with a computer will help.

That Mt LeConte decent would be interesting if you did the Alum Cave jump.
Got the nobbies and the bike but don't think I got the legs for that trail.

szbert said:
I really like my 1upusa from 1upusa.com

Still boring like the rest, but it's made well, quiet, and has a realistic road feel.
I just checked out the 1upusa, looks NICE!

jhuskey said:
I need to make it a little more interesting. Even watching TV at the same time is mind numbing but riding at night here would be suicide and drinking beer while on the trainer seems somehow counter productive. So I am hoping a better trainer with a computer will help.

That Mt LeConte decent would be interesting if you did the Alum Cave jump.
Got the nobbies and the bike but don't think I got the legs for that trail.
I do very poorly at the watching tv thing, just can't seem to get into it while I'm riding (or any other time for that matter). I've got a trainer I purchased through Performance, it has 5 resistance settings, wired remote that tells you just about everything. It's ... OK. You can tell it's cheaply made, the roller is small so it literally eats tires at any speed worth mentioning. The power readings seem to be pretty accurate up to ~250 watts, but beyond that it gets sketchy. It holds your rear wheel 1.5-2" off the ground, so you'll need a riser (I use a phone book). Price: ~160 I think they call it a Magforce Plus. One good positive, it doesn't seem to be extremely loud.

I like the looks of the 1upusa, but I didn't see that you can read any measurements.

I haven't done that trail in a few years, but as I recall it's plenty hard even walking it. I actually have a tripod lying somewhere on the side of that mountain. I slipped, it fell off my pack and went somewhere I wasn't willing to follow (not without rapelling gear anyway). I need to reserve one of those cabins and do an all nighter there, has to be beautiful early morning.

What part of the Smokies are you in?

John

It's gotten a lot of good reviews on mountainbike.com and roadbikereview.com. The Kurt Kinetic road machine also looks really good.

I paid $269 (including shipping!) for my 1upusa because I found a link to a promo run earlier this year on mountainbikereview.com

Mansmind said:
I just checked out the 1upusa, looks NICE!

jhuskey said:

you should be able to find a Tacx I-magic virtual trainer on ebay for around 400 bucks now. I've had mine a couple winters now. winter online racing rules!

Stationary trainers are boring and have no benefit for bike handling skills. Rollers develop balance and cadence. Many riders ride outside during winter regardless of wind-chill.

Online racing as a training substitute has the same value as a Nintendo game which is zero.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

lowracervk2 said:
winter online racing rules!

Johnny NoCom said:
Stationary trainers are boring and have no benefit for bike handling skills. Rollers develop balance and cadence. Many riders ride outside during winter regardless of wind-chill.

Online racing as a training substitute has the same value as a Nintendo game which is zero.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom
Although I agree with most of what you're saying, he didn't really ask whether you "approve" of an indoor trainer or not. The original post asked advice about what KIND of trainers people liked the best at a reasonable price.

Yeah, riding a trainer is boring (to most people). No, it doesn't do anything for bike handling skills. It does however let you develop your pedaling technique, perhaps not nearly as much as a set of rollers, but certainly better than not riding at all. And...

Since riding a trainer is boring, what's the harm in linking up for some online racing. No one called it a substitute for real training, but it's certainly better than watching a tv. I don't do it myself, but I can see where it might be fun..at least more fun than staring at the wall in front of you.

Sincerely,

John

Johnny NoCom said:

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

Boring yes! Wind chill is no problem but when it gets dark it gets dangerous here.
I am not a beginner I have been cycling seriously since 1982 don't really need skills just need to keep muscles toned.
I have an old trainer and wondering what everone else used.
When the rain is blowing horizontal at 50mph only a damn fool would ride so I need a new trainer.
Any suggestions?

Cyclopes Fluid2 Mag version, quite, reliable. Going on my 3rd winter and still no problems at all. Probably can't go wrong with Kurt either. Netflix makes indoor training more tolerable.

jhuskey said:

I think the new Cat-eye is nicely featured.