Need New Wheel

Bob42

Apr 16, 2006
My old wheel just died, but only the rim. The rest of it is fine. How feasible is it for me to just buy a rim and build a new wheel? Will it probably be a bit dodgy, especially seeing as I don't have a truing stand or tensionmeter?

Alternatively, are any of these wheels a good idea? I get trade price from this shop. I'm looking for a fairly cheap but good entry level wheel.

Thanks.

Bob42 said:
My old wheel just died, but only the rim. The rest of it is fine. How feasible is it for me to just buy a rim and build a new wheel? Will it probably be a bit dodgy, especially seeing as I don't have a truing stand or tensionmeter?

Alternatively, are any of these wheels a good idea? I get trade price from this shop. I'm looking for a fairly cheap but good entry level wheel.

Thanks.
If you like to work with your hands, your hub is good, spokes in good shape, and you can find a suitable replacement rim with the same ERD (Effective Rim Diameter... so you can reuse same spokes) you should DIY (Do It Yourself). You put the new rim along side the old (tape, zip-tie, velcro strips, etc. do the temporary job), detension, move spoke at a time, undo the old rim, and tension/true. You can use your bicycle frame/fork as a stand. Use your brakes as truing guages, and your ears as tension guage. If it is a rear, the tone of the right spokes should be equal to the front. You will need to flop the wheel to see if it is centered.