Need of recommendations to set up a -full time- training schedule.

jpto

Feb 8, 2011
Hello everyone, I though I would check out this forum as there seems to be many people with very respectable expertise around and willing to help before going to go see a personnal trainer to see what information I can gather. So here it is, I have gained what I would consider a respectable level of cyclist strenght over the past two years, raced some provincial mountain bike races on the canadian east coast last year (5-8h endurance) and am looking at getting ready for this upcoming season.

I would train, on the road bike, 300-400kms a week and, if of any relevance, would do rock climbing for a couple hours about three times a week (core workout). Now, I did not touch the bikes in 4months (moved to a big city where cycling is hard to do, but am leaving next week) therefore will have to make my way back in the shape I was in.

My goals are to train to both loose the few pounds (7) I gained since I stopped cycling, get back in shape AND gain enough much strenght and endurance to beat last years race scores. I beleive that my goals are relatively respectable and am looking forward to get back in a healthy routine.

-Here is the fun part, I have a 12 week period during which I have an income and no work to do. I call it an opportunity to get fitter than ever. I will have access to gym facilities, spin bikes, some outdoor cycling when weather permits (but it is canada so not too much for a few weeks), swimming pool and a rock climbing court.

I have been reading as much as I can get my hands on regarding training but cannot figure out what type of training I could work my way up to that would be on a full time base. I would be happy to mix gym spinning and rock climbing over the course of a week to make up to 32-35 hours of training. It may be excessive and bring me to break down if I try to get to it too quickly, but does anyone have tips regarding how to set up a full time training schedule?

Thanks, JP

I hadn't raced since the early 1990's but I had done mostly touring from 1997-2003 (approx 3,000 miles per year)

In 2004, I set myself the task of trying to ride 12,000 in one calendar year, just to see if I could do it.
My plan was mostly built around training rides and doing some touring events like the Etape du Tour (De France).

In Jan/Feb of that year, I made sure to do 2 hours per day minimum either on the rollers or out on the road.
Cycling at 18 miles per hour, I hit 2,500 miles before the end of February.
The secret for me was to make sure that I cycled each day every day regardless of the conditions and other time pressures.

Hitting 2,500 by the end of February gave me the incentive and the base to make a serious attempt at 12,000 target.
As the weather improved and the day light hours increased, I could afford to get out on the road for longer at the weekends.
I made certain to do two 2 three hour rides each saturday and sunday - and to maintain 2 hours cycling either on the rollers or the road
during each week of March 2004 and my cumulative miles had hit 3,800 by 31st March.

From April through to September, I was doing on average 1,300 miles per month between training spins and touring events.

Separately, I didn't do any weight training because being of a bigger build, I gain muscle mass far too easily.

By the end of September 2004, I was literally flying on the bike so much so that I actually considered a return to racing.
I had conquered the Etape du Tour and had finished several other touring events with no difficulty.

My fitness levels improved hugely and my general health was much much better (lost approx 25 lbs in weight, waist size reduced).

My advice is to format a plan that allows you to commit the optimum time required to get to your target.
As I said earlier, what worked for me was to devise a minimum 2 hour cycle per day and then stick to that rigidly.
This involved discipline and a certain amount of selfishness on my part (putting myself before family and friends) but it worked.
I also kept a detailed diary of my training recording the distance, how much I had drank and general comments about how I felt during and after each session.

I hope that this helps.

Limerickman - Thanks for the reply, the lifestyle you describe is simmilar to what I did over the past two years, at least during the summer months. I personally ended up having some issues recovering at times from cycling 7days a week, hence why I am seeking recommendations regarding the intervals I could work out and how much recovery would be necessary in a given week.

Anyone else has ever tempted riding 3+ hours a day for training?

Originally Posted by jpto .

Limerickman - Thanks for the reply, the lifestyle you describe is simmilar to what I did over the past two years, at least during the summer months. I personally ended up having some issues recovering at times from cycling 7days a week, hence why I am seeking recommendations regarding the intervals I could work out and how much recovery would be necessary in a given week.

Anyone else has ever tempted riding 3+ hours a day for training?
I was riding 14 hours per week in Jan/Feb of that year. I didn't find it difficult to recover from that output, even though it was 9 weeks of continuous daily cycling.

When the amount of day light hours improved from March onwards, I was able to vary the number of days and hours per day which
I was on the bike.
If I did a 4 hour outdoor spin on a Sunday, I would probably skip riding on Monday and do 2 hour spin on the rollers on Tuesday.
(in May-September of that year, some of the spins were 6+ hours).
But I reiterate the point, the base miles accumulated in Jan/Feb of that year made recovery easier when I did longer spins later in the year.
Of that I am certain.

Finding some good info in these forums but man can it all seem a bit over my head with the acronyms, heart rate training, power training and what not. I guess all this knowledge will just have to come from experience. I'm also very new to the road/xc scene and am planning on starting my first racing season this coming year. I was a dedicated DH'r for many years prior. Also on the east coast of Canada.

Since I've begun at the end of last season I've spent most of training in the winter season. Started with alot of gym work and time in the pool/ bike. Picked up a trainer over the holidays and now have been constatant at that. I usually fit in 3 sufferfest videos a week along with a recovery ride and a lengthy Sunday ride. As well as some limited gym work.

Fitting in much more than that seems to be a challenge for sure. I guess when the weather shapes up I'll be able to get out for some night/morning rides around work. Of all the reading I've done though it amazes me of the time a lot of you people put into the bike. Does this dedication and effort just seem to gradually grow with experience and effort? What tips would some of you give to a first time racer? Rest is also another issue I have a hard time with. When you think you need it but probably dont or where that motivation comes from to do it on those days that almost any excuse will suffice not to.

As the season draws nearer should a rider ramp up further and further, especially a new one to get used to all the effort or should the final week or two leading into race season be cut back a little? So many questions? That does'nt even get into the specific's of dedicated training. What's some of the best reading material I could pick up for help on that? I was thinking the time crunched cyclists book perhaps? anyways thanks for the help.

oh and jpto where ya from in eastern Canada?

oh and one more thing... to anyone using those sufferfest vids. What best way would you adjust to effort changes by just feel. Say for instance on hill climbs I've been just using a relativley hard gear to cranke over and climbing like that with increases in cadences and a gear or 2 for effort. Then on flats I use a easier gear and higher cadence and increases a gear plus cedence until I think I feel the desired effort. Does that seem ok? Anyone have any suggestions regarding that?

-JaymzTRigga, I can definately relate to your questionning, especially regarding where to find ressources, litterature or simply someone with experience on the subject to ask some questions to.

I found some short articles from Mark Feener online regarding training for endurance MTB racing, which I though was of good quality despite how short it is.
You can find a link to 3 pages from him here.

Otherwise I still have yet to find much recommendations regarding at which point LSD training becomes too extensive to be substained by a rider. When does it become more of a risk for injury than an opportunity for progression?

-And Halifax, you?