need opinions on shimano deore mech disk brakes

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill B, Feb 22, 2003.

  1. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    getting ready to make up a set of front and rear wheels with disk brakes for my bike E FX which has
    disk brake caliper mounts front and rear. Need opions on the shimano deore mech disk brakes .Bike
    Nasty Bar has a good deal?? on a deore disk package which includes rotors, calipers, cables n
    housing, levers and front and rear disk hubs for $129.95. Yeah or neah?????
    PS in case you are wondering why [disks] on a bike E FX, well the front wheel has to come off to air
    up the front shock and for transport. The big knobbys have to be deflated so the tires can pass
    through the front & rear V brakes. Just seems like the disks will make front and rear wheel
    removal for travel a lot easier not to mention not having to constantly adjust the Vee's

    Tags:

  2. $129.95 and U still want an opinion? IF this is Fr AND Rr for $129.95 in Total....oh yeah, go for
    it...go quickly. IF it is $129.95 PER Wheel...maybe think it over a while...then go for it. If
    nothing else it will improve the resale value of your bent having a dual Deore setup. Heck at
    $129.95 even I would be hard pressed to match that price (if) it was for both wheels. My Alum. Discs
    with Hubs are like $60.00 per wheel, but they ain't Deore.
    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > getting ready to make up a set of front and rear wheels with disk brakes for my bike E FX which
    > has disk brake caliper mounts front and rear. Need opions on the shimano deore mech disk brakes
    > .Bike Nasty Bar has a good deal?? on a deore disk package which includes rotors, calipers, cables
    > n housing, levers and front and rear disk hubs for $129.95. Yeah or neah?????
    > PS in case you are wondering why [disks] on a bike E FX, well the front wheel has to come off to
    > air up the front shock and for transport. The big knobbys have to be deflated so the tires can
    > pass through the front & rear V brakes. Just seems like the disks will make front and rear
    > wheel removal for travel a lot easier not to mention not having to constantly adjust the Vee's

  3. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Bill B wrote:
    > getting ready to make up a set of front and rear wheels with disk brakes for my bike E FX which
    > has disk brake caliper mounts front and rear. Need opions on the shimano deore mech disk brakes
    > .Bike Nasty Bar has a good deal?? on a deore disk package which includes rotors, calipers, cables
    > n housing, levers and front and rear disk hubs for $129.95. Yeah or neah?????
    > PS in case you are wondering why [disks] on a bike E FX, well the front wheel has to come off to
    > air up the front shock and for transport. The big knobbys have to be deflated so the tires can
    > pass through the front & rear V brakes. Just seems like the disks will make front and rear
    > wheel removal for travel a lot easier not to mention not having to constantly adjust the Vee's

    When I was choosing between Avids or Deores, I think the Deores were running about $49 per wheel vs
    $80-90 for the Avids. I was told by shops that the Deores required adjustments every ride, had
    relatively short pad life, and were much more difficult to install, requiring shims and sometimes
    filing the mounts. They advised me to get the Avids, which I did. I still fiddle with the
    adjustments every week or two, but the pad wear is nearly undetectable after a year of riding. I
    don't know if Shimano has improved the Deores, but unless someone can tell you for certain that they
    have, I'd recommend the Avids.

    One warning, removing the front wheel will probably require subsequent fiddling with the adjustment
    to get it running right again. Tolerances are close and the wheel never seems to go on exactly the
    same two times in a row. So, the discs aren't a panacea in that respect.

  4. Dittos to John Foltz on the Avids vs. the Deore disks.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "John Foltz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bill B wrote:
    > > getting ready to make up a set of front and rear wheels with disk brakes for my bike E FX which
    > > has disk brake caliper mounts front and rear. Need opions on the shimano deore mech disk brakes
    > > .Bike Nasty Bar has a good deal?? on a deore disk package which includes rotors, calipers,
    > > cables n housing, levers and front and rear disk hubs for $129.95. Yeah or neah?????
    > > PS in case you are wondering why [disks] on a bike E FX, well the front wheel has to come off to
    > > air up the front shock and for transport. The big knobbys have to be deflated so the tires
    > > can pass through the front & rear V brakes. Just seems like the disks will make front and
    > > rear wheel removal for travel a lot easier not to mention not having to constantly adjust the
    > > Vee's
    > >
    > When I was choosing between Avids or Deores, I think the Deores were running about $49 per wheel
    > vs $80-90 for the Avids. I was told by shops that the Deores required adjustments every ride, had
    > relatively short pad life, and were much more difficult to install, requiring shims and sometimes
    > filing the mounts. They advised me to get the Avids, which I did. I still fiddle with the
    > adjustments every week or two, but the pad wear is nearly undetectable after a year of riding. I
    > don't know if Shimano has improved the Deores, but unless someone can tell you for certain that
    > they have, I'd recommend the Avids.
    >
    > One warning, removing the front wheel will probably require subsequent fiddling with the
    > adjustment to get it running right again. Tolerances are close and the wheel never seems to go on
    > exactly the same two times in a row. So, the discs aren't a panacea in that respect.
    > --
    >
    > John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
    > _________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

  5. Jackal

    Jackal Guest

    Deore's on my WizWheelz trike. No adjustment needed since initial setup (800 miles). Outstandingly
    strong, I am 265lbs and pulled by 55lb son and 30lb Piccolo with it. Rode the hills of Brown County
    Indiana with son in tow. 45+mph with NO fade or concern. Pads look like the day they were installed,
    and I use the brakes HARD. LOVE em......

  6. Bill Which Model of Shimano Deore are you asking about. The one I have seen in this price range uses
    the Black Deore Disc Hub @ $26.00 or thereabouts. I have used Hayes, Shimano and Avid (all 3
    Mechanical) and maybe I got a bad setup, but my 2001 Avid sucked and it was a lot more expensive
    than the Shimano. Kinda too bad U can't buy the Avids and the Deore, try out both setups and send
    back the one you don't like.

    Oh Yeah FWIW I noticed that ALL the Big On-Line Bike shops have the Egg-Beater Pedals at $69-$99.00.
    but Sierra Trading Co. (still) has them at $59.00.

  7. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    John Foltz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bill B wrote:
    > > getting ready to make up a set of front and rear wheels with disk brakes for my bike E FX which
    > > has disk brake caliper mounts front and rear. Need opions on the shimano deore mech disk brakes
    > > .Bike Nasty Bar has a good deal?? on a deore disk package which includes rotors, calipers,
    > > cables n housing, levers and front and rear disk hubs for $129.95. Yeah or neah?????
    > > PS in case you are wondering why [disks] on a bike E FX, well the front wheel has to come off to
    > > air up the front shock and for transport. The big knobbys have to be deflated so the tires
    > > can pass through the front & rear V brakes. Just seems like the disks will make front and
    > > rear wheel removal for travel a lot easier not to mention not having to constantly adjust the
    > > Vee's
    > >
    > When I was choosing between Avids or Deores, I think the Deores were running about $49 per wheel
    > vs $80-90 for the Avids. I was told by shops that the Deores required adjustments every ride, had
    > relatively short pad life, and were much more difficult to install, requiring shims and sometimes
    > filing the mounts. They advised me to get the Avids, which I did. I still fiddle with the
    > adjustments every week or two, but the pad wear is nearly undetectable after a year of riding. I
    > don't know if Shimano has improved the Deores, but unless someone can tell you for certain that
    > they have, I'd recommend the Avids.
    >
    > One warning, removing the front wheel will probably require subsequent fiddling with the
    > adjustment to get it running right again. Tolerances are close and the wheel never seems to go on
    > exactly the same two times in a row. So, the discs aren't a panacea in that respect.
    I found this review site for the shimano mech disk brakes. 26 reviews with the majority of reviews
    good and a few bad reviews. Weight was mentioned a lot.Apparently the older calipers had a short arm
    and did not stop very good but the newer ones [I think] have a longer arm??. Pads were not a problem
    with most reviews .Some reviews mention that other pads with different material could be used in
    place of the shimanos. For the price and my riding style I feel like these econo disk brake will do
    just fine. Check out the reviews at
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/disc_brake_system/product_88859.shtml

  8. Tom Dove

    Tom Dove Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bill B) wrote:

    > getting ready to make up a set of front and rear wheels with disk brakes for my bike E FX which
    > has disk brake caliper mounts front and rear. Need opions on the shimano deore mech disk brakes
    > .Bike Nasty Bar has a good deal?? on a deore disk package which includes rotors, calipers, cables
    > n housing, levers and front and rear disk hubs for $129.95. Yeah or neah?????
    > PS in case you are wondering why [disks] on a bike E FX, well the front wheel has to come off to
    > air up the front shock and for transport. The big knobbys have to be deflated so the tires can
    > pass through the front & rear V brakes. Just seems like the disks will make front and rear
    > wheel removal for travel a lot easier not to mention not having to constantly adjust the Vee's
    I have Shimano Deore disks on the front wheels of my tadpole trike. They have about 800 miles on
    them and work perfectly. I've adjusted them once in the past 300 miles (just tweaking, really) and
    there's no noticeable pad wear. They stop the trike VERY well and are easy to modulate. No
    complaints here.

    --
    -- TD Red Ryder, 2001 RANS Rocket Miss Kitty, 2002 Catrike Road

  9. J. Morris

    J. Morris Guest

    Sounds like a great price... if that is the main factor I would say go for
    it... if its performance I would say that avid has the best mech.. disc brakes going...

    Bill B wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Bar has a good deal?? on a deore disk package which includes rotors, calipers, cables n housing,
    >levers and front and rear disk hubs for $129.95. Yeah or neah?????

  10. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    Bill,

    I just bought a set (front and rear) of Italian-made Grimeca System 9 OEM mechanical disc brakes
    from eDiscountBike.com. They shipped very fast, came with manuals and all hardware, and are built
    very well (the adjuster knob is hidden, not exposed like Avid where it can be knocked off easily in
    an accident).

    Haven't tried them yet; but here's a secret: Shimano XT disc brakes are actually made by Grimeca,
    which is one of the most revered mfr's of disc brakes in the world. I expect these Grimecas to work
    great, and the price is definitely right! My invoice was $57.97 total, including shipping.

    The Grimeca discs use a 160mm front disc, and 140mm rear. They mount to
    I.S. (international standard) disc brake mount points, and have the standard 6-bolt disc mounting.

    I love Avid discs; but these Grimecas are just fine and 1/3 the price!

    Cheers,

    Barry

    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > getting ready to make up a set of front and rear wheels with disk brakes for my bike E FX which
    > has disk brake caliper mounts front and rear. Need opions on the shimano deore mech disk brakes
    > .Bike Nasty Bar has a good deal?? on a deore disk package which includes rotors, calipers, cables
    > n housing, levers and front and rear disk hubs for $129.95. Yeah or neah?????
    > PS in case you are wondering why [disks] on a bike E FX, well the front wheel has to come off to
    > air up the front shock and for transport. The big knobbys have to be deflated so the tires can
    > pass through the front & rear V brakes. Just seems like the disks will make front and rear
    > wheel removal for travel a lot easier not to mention not having to constantly adjust the Vee's

  11. "B. Sanders" skrev...
    > I just bought a set (front and rear) of Italian-made Grimeca System 9 OEM mechanical disc brakes
    > from eDiscountBike.com. They shipped very fast, came with manuals and all hardware, and are built
    > very well (the adjuster knob is hidden, not exposed like Avid where it can be knocked off easily
    > in an accident).

    I got system 6 mechanicals on one of my bikes and is very happy with them.

    Mikael