Need Pork Chop Ideas....

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Sheryl Rosen, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    "David Hare-Scott" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This is dead simple and you can take it anywhere.
    >
    >Braised Pork Chops with Orange and Ginger
    >
    >For 4 servings
    >Trim excess fat off four chops (or whatever) and brown on both sides with
    >two teaspoons of toasted sesame oil in a non-stick pan. Add :
    >
    >- the juice and zest of two oranges,
    >- a tablespoon of grated fresh ginger,
    >- a good grind of fresh black pepper,
    >- a cup of stock,
    >- salt to taste.
    >
    >Simmer for 25 minutes covered, spooning the liquid over the chops now and
    >then; then uncover and turn up the heat to reduce the liquid until it sticks
    >to the chops. Serve with boiled rice and steamed vegetables.
    >
    >David

    I tried this last night and it is a keeper. I used safflower oil
    since I did not have sesame oil. I will look for sesame oil now.

    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

  2. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > biig <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >
    >> It wasn't very good....seemed too bland? I used pork sirloin steaks
    >>and the meat was pretty much tastless....I don't know if using cream of
    >>celery soup was the problem...but I put in cooked sliced onion and 3
    >>chopped cloves of garlic....must have been the meat.....Sharon

    > I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. :(
    >
    > We didn't get around to making ours last night. I'd make it tonight and
    > report back. It's been nearly a decade. Maybe it's not as good as I had
    > remembered.
    >
    > I feel really bad that you wound up wasting food because of my
    > recommendation. :(
    >
    > Carol
    > ===========

    Hi ya Dams & Crash!!

    I've got a great recipe for the pork chops!

    Sprinkle them with Penzeys "Northwoods" seasoning and some "Everglades
    Heat" - then toss them in the Rotisserie! Woo-hoo!

    The other one is to marinate them in the following marinade and then bake or
    grill.

    Meat Marinade

    For various types of meat :

    1/2 c Teriyaki Sauce
    1/4 c Honey
    1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
    1 TBSP Garlic, minced or powdered
    1 tsp Black Pepper
    1/3 tsp Cinnamon
    Cloves, pinch of
    1 tsp Tea Leaves, optional
    Worcestershire Sauce, splash of

    Mix all together.

  3. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:07:28 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm eating pork loin medallions (thanks, Sheldon) in cream of onion soup at
    > this very moment. The flavor is excellent. I only wish that a low-sodium
    > version of the soup was available. We got a bunch of tasty brown gravy.
    > Crash is complaining that I didn't make enough! LOL

    I made center cut loin chops tonight. I sprinkled them
    lightly with pepper, granulated garlic, dried thyme and
    dusted one side with coarsly groung sea salt (from trader
    joes). After I browned them, I took them out of the pan for
    two reasons... <side trip>

    1. They were thin cut and bone in -
    :/ I hate them with the bone in!

    2. The flavor is different AND I can't squeeze 6
    chops into the pan (14" cast iron) all at once.

    Back to dinner - After browning (they were undercooked at
    the time), I lowered the heat and added about 1/4 C. dry
    sherry to the pan and covered it for a few minutes. I took
    the chops out and added about 2 cups of thickly sliced
    button mushrooms. When they were not quite finished, I
    added around a cup of the water I'd boiled my potatoes in
    and thickened it with a slurry of flour/water. I finished
    it off with 7 (yes, I counted) drops of L & P Worcestershire
    Sauce and 1/4 C. of sour cream.

    The potatoes were cut in half and boiled with skin on. You
    mash with a fork on the plate... I call it "smashed".
    Vegetable was a combination of zucchini and crook necked
    squash. The yellow (crook neck) turned out to be bitter, so
    I not only buttered the squash, I sprinkled some parmesean
    on it to try to mask the bitterness.

    Thumbs up: pork chops, potatoes & gravy
    Thumbs down: vegetables (but not my fault)

    It was a Happy Valentine's Day anyway.

    sf

  4. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:35:00 GMT, [email protected]
    (Phred) wrote:

    > One of the blandest meals I've ever had was on a flight home from the
    > big smoke some years ago.

    What or where is the "big smoke"????

    sf

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:26:34 GMT, [email protected]
    (Phred) wrote:

    > >Just for the record, I don't like papayas (even with a
    > >squirt of lime).

    > You've never had a good one. The ones served up in your average
    > restaurant are YUCK. I refer to them as the "motel type". I think
    > the idea is to stop people ordering them for breakfast so they don't
    > really have to buy many in, even though they're on the menu.

    Phred... I've eaten papaya in many places. I live in San
    Francisco, which has a healthy hispanic population and lots
    of green markets that cater to them - plus I can tell a
    green papaya from a ripe one. I've bought papyas from local
    "green" markets, I've also eaten it in Mexico, the Carribean
    and on cruise ships. Yes, I've tried it more than once in
    geographically different places and and I still DON'T LIKE
    IT. Do I have to scream YUCK? For some people, it's
    beets... for me, it's papaya.

    BLECH.
    GAG.
    :|

    sf

  6. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:26:34 GMT, [email protected]
    >(Phred) wrote:
    >
    >> >Just for the record, I don't like papayas (even with a
    >> >squirt of lime).

    >> You've never had a good one. The ones served up in your average
    >> restaurant are YUCK. I refer to them as the "motel type". I think
    >> the idea is to stop people ordering them for breakfast so they don't
    >> really have to buy many in, even though they're on the menu.

    >Phred... I've eaten papaya in many places. I live in San
    >Francisco, which has a healthy hispanic population and lots
    >of green markets that cater to them - plus I can tell a
    >green papaya from a ripe one. I've bought papyas from local
    >"green" markets, I've also eaten it in Mexico, the Carribean
    >and on cruise ships. Yes, I've tried it more than once in
    >geographically different places and and I still DON'T LIKE
    >IT. Do I have to scream YUCK? For some people, it's
    >beets... for me, it's papaya.
    >
    >BLECH.
    >GAG.
    >:|

    Sorry to hear about your handicap, mate. Anyone who can't enjoy at
    least a good red-fleshed pawpaw has my sympathy. In this modern PC era
    I guess we'll have to say you're "Carica challenged". Bad luck. :-(

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID

  7. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:
    >On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:35:00 GMT, [email protected]
    >(Phred) wrote:
    >
    >> One of the blandest meals I've ever had was on a flight home from the
    >> big smoke some years ago.

    >What or where is the "big smoke"????

    Brisbane, the capital of the fair State of Queensland (formerly known
    as the Sunshine State, now officially the Smart State [cringe]
    courtesy of our current smartarse Premier).

    Mind you, it's only relatively a big smoke. In fact, I heard a bloke
    on ABC Regional Radio just the other day saying it is still only a big
    country town. It certainly had a country town atmosphere when I was
    at UQ years ago; but when I went down last year the Sunday arvo
    traffic was what I would have called peak hour 40 years ago!

    ObRecipe, stolen from:
    <http://www.thisisbradford.co.
    uk/bradford__district/curry_guide/brisbane_lamb.html>

    Brisbane lamb curry
    ===================
    Contributed by Kathleen Parker, formerly of Bradford and now of
    Queensland, Australia

    Ingredients:
    1kg boneless diced lamb (preferably Australian)
    100g Ghee
    2 onions peeled and sliced
    4 cloves crushed garlic
    15g chopped fresh ginger
    1 piece bruised lemon grass
    5ml fish sauce
    5g salt
    30g coriander powder
    20g cumin powder
    5g chilli powder
    20g turmeric
    4 cloves
    4 pods cardamom
    750g chopped tomato
    1/4 bunch chopped fresh coriander

    Method:
    Fry the onions, ginger and garlic in the ghee until lightly browned.
    Add the lamb and spices and cook until the lamb is brown.
    Add the remaining ingredients except for the fresh coriander.
    Simmer until the lamb is tender.
    Finally mix in the fresh coriander just before serving. Serve with
    plain boiled rice and natural yoghurt.

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID

  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

    sf wrote:

    > Phred... I've eaten papaya in many places. I live in San
    > Francisco, which has a healthy hispanic population and lots
    > of green markets that cater to them - plus I can tell a
    > green papaya from a ripe one. I've bought papyas from local
    > "green" markets, I've also eaten it in Mexico, the Carribean
    > and on cruise ships. Yes, I've tried it more than once in
    > geographically different places and and I still DON'T LIKE
    > IT. Do I have to scream YUCK? For some people, it's
    > beets... for me, it's papaya.
    >
    > BLECH.
    > GAG.
    > :|

    One of the most intriguing uses I've seen for papaya was adding underripe
    papaya chunks to (Philippine) adobo and cooking it like a stew vegetable.
    I'm not really trying to persuade anybody to try something which I know
    won't be liked, but if you're somehow STUCK with a papaya which you know you
    don't like, you might try it that way.

    (I often buy stuff because I'm curious about it, then discover I don't like
    it, at least not in its "pure" form. That's why I got a kick out of Bob
    Myers coming up with the phrase, "Iron Chef -- Home Edition" not too long
    ago.)

    Bob

  9. biig

    biig Guest

    No problem....they were on sale. I'm experimenting with different
    recipes now that I'm retired and have the time. A learning
    experience....Sharon

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    > biig <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >
    > > It wasn't very good....seemed too bland? I used pork sirloin steaks
    > >and the meat was pretty much tastless....I don't know if using cream of
    > >celery soup was the problem...but I put in cooked sliced onion and 3
    > >chopped cloves of garlic....must have been the meat.....Sharon

    > I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. :(
    >
    > We didn't get around to making ours last night. I'd make it tonight and
    > report back. It's been nearly a decade. Maybe it's not as good as I had
    > remembered.
    >
    > I feel really bad that you wound up wasting food because of my
    > recommendation. :(
    >
    > Carol
    > --
    > "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
    > 'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
    > Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."
    >
    > *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

  10. sf

    sf Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:00:33 GMT, [email protected]
    (Phred) wrote:

    > I guess we'll have to say you're "Carica challenged".

    OK, I can accept that. I've tried and I've failed to
    understand the nuances of papaya.

    sf

  11. sf

    sf Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:27:52 GMT, [email protected]
    (Phred) wrote:

    > Brisbane, the capital of the fair State of Queensland (formerly known
    > as the Sunshine State, now officially the Smart State [cringe]
    > courtesy of our current smartarse Premier).

    Phred... I live in San Francisco, California (the "other"
    sunshine state - we play second fiddle to Florida, of
    course). Brisbane is only a few miles South of SF, so you
    can imagine my surprise when you mentioned a "smartarse
    premier". We have one of those over here! IMO: He will
    never be greater than a Shrub... and he'll always be scrub
    shrub to me.

    sf

  12. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:27:52 GMT, [email protected]
    >(Phred) wrote:
    >
    >> Brisbane, the capital of the fair State of Queensland (formerly known
    >> as the Sunshine State, now officially the Smart State [cringe]
    >> courtesy of our current smartarse Premier).

    >Phred... I live in San Francisco, California (the "other"
    >sunshine state - we play second fiddle to Florida, of
    >course). Brisbane is only a few miles South of SF, so you
    >can imagine my surprise when you mentioned a "smartarse
    >premier". We have one of those over here! IMO: He will
    >never be greater than a Shrub... and he'll always be scrub
    >shrub to me.

    :)

    Brisbane CA? Yeah. I can recall my surprise when I opened my first
    replacement toner cartridge for a HP Laserjet printer and found a
    coupon for free return postage of the old cartridge to "Brisbane". I
    thought "Wow" this mob is really into environmental responsibility --
    the I noticed the fine print about "Only if posted in the USA"!

    Actually, in many ways our smartarse Premier is a "good bloke" and has
    a very high approval rating (ironically, because he has modelled
    himself on a former very popular Premier from the other side of
    politics who is regarded with loathing approaching dementia by the
    Premier's own party droids :). My personal objection to the current
    bloke is that he introduced a new State tax that is *very* beneficial
    to himself but very detrimental to people like me and many others in
    somewhat different circumstances, and he calls it "fair" at every
    opportunity!

    ObRecipe:
    [ I was going to post a "Brisbane" prawn recipe; but, quite frankly,
    they're all much too fussy, So here's my take on cooking prawns.]

    Serves one. :)

    1 to 2 lb [or more] of fresh prawns.
    Chuck 'em into a *large* pot of well salted boiling water.
    (Else do them in batches so the water doesn't go off the boil.)
    Cook until they float, then take 'em out, drain well, and chill.
    (A bucket of iced water doesn't go astray here, especially if you're
    in a hurry -- and with these to eat, why wouldn't you be? Else bung
    'em in the fridge until nicely chilled.)

    Serve with an adequate supply of cold beer of choice.
    (And ensure a sufficient supply of old newspaper to wrap the shells in
    when you've finished -- and freeze the debris if the garbo isn't due
    in the next 12 to 18 hours. :)

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID