Need Rainjacket Recomendation for Recumbent Use.



Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stu Sanford

Guest
Folks,

I am interested in finding a good (not too expensive) rain jacket for recumbent cycling.

I know that I want a breathable fabric (Gore-Tex ?, xalt ?).

I want pit-zips.

A hood would be nice, but not critical.

I believe that rear vents won't work for recumbent riders, so some of the standard cycling rain
jackets appear less desirable.

Any suggestions?

Stu Sanford

2001 RANS Wave

Woodbridge, VA
 
J

Jon Meinecke

Guest
On Tue, 20 May 2003 12:59:12 -0400, "Stu Sanford" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am interested in finding a good (not too expensive) rain jacket for recumbent cycling.

I have and really like the Marmot Precip Jacket. It has pit zips, a hood, stuffs into it's pocket,
and is "breathable". It's about $100, and weighs about 15 oz. There are some "Red Ledge" jackets
from Campmor.com that are also quite reasonable (~$60).

If you think you'll stay dry from perspiration while doing much exercise wearing any "breathable"
outerwear, prepare to be disappointed, though...

Jon Meinecke
 
D

Dave Larrington

Guest
Stu Sanford wrote:

> I am interested in finding a good (not too expensive) rain jacket for recumbent cycling.
>
> I know that I want a breathable fabric (Gore-Tex ?, xalt ?).
>
> I want pit-zips.
>
> A hood would be nice, but not critical.
>
> I believe that rear vents won't work for recumbent riders, so some of the standard cycling rain
> jackets appear less desirable.
>
> Any suggestions?

I don't know whether they're available on your side of the pond, but
http://www.freestyle-sports.co.uk/pages/XCR.html, style 447, looks rather handy.

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================
 

bentcruiser

New Member
Apr 18, 2003
237
0
0
The Rainshield jackets are extremely nice. The original one is the only riding jacket I have ever used that I did not wish for pit zips. I have noticed, however, they have a higher end jackets with pit zips. Take a look:

http://www.rainshield.com

Derek
 
S

Seth Jayson

Guest
The North Face makes a jacket that's not a cycling jacket, but it's long, waterproof, (as waterproof
as anything that's not rubber or plastic) breathable, and has really huge 'pit vents' that double as
pockets, but they're up under your pecs. They let in a lot of air when wide open. And you can stash
a map in one if you want.

Nowadays, they call it the Venture Jacket. Colors aren't ideal for visibility, but it's a very good
jacket for the hundred bucks.
 
S

Simon Kellett

Guest
> Diagonal zip?

Ok - I give in. Why do recumbent riders need a diagonal zip ? (and why does the website not explain
the feature?)

Regards, Simon
 
M

Mikael Seierup

Guest
"Simon Kellett" skrev...
> > Diagonal zip?
>
> Ok - I give in. Why do recumbent riders need a diagonal zip ? (and why does the website not
> explain the feature?)

I think its to prevent water seeping in at the zip. If it works is anyones guess.

M.
 
L

Larry Raphael

Guest
Stu, Take a look at the following website. It gives an overview of what goes into a good jacket
and then reviews various manufacturers products. Not sure how current the website is but a good
place to start.

http://www.bicycleapparel.com/RainGearArticle/

Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #002 Oakton, VA

"Stu Sanford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Folks,
>
>
>
> I am interested in finding a good (not too expensive) rain jacket for recumbent cycling.
>
> I know that I want a breathable fabric (Gore-Tex ?, xalt ?).
>
> I want pit-zips.
>
> A hood would be nice, but not critical.
>
> I believe that rear vents won't work for recumbent riders, so some of the standard cycling rain
> jackets appear less desirable.
>
>
>
> Any suggestions?
>
>
>
> Stu Sanford
>
> 2001 RANS Wave
>
> Woodbridge, VA
 
D

Dave Strauss

Guest
bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The Rainshield jackets are extremely nice. The original one is the only riding jacket I have ever
> used that I did not wish for pit zips. I have noticed, however, they have a higher end jackets
> with pit zips. Take a look:
>
> http://www.rainshield.com
>
> Derek

I have one of these (actually, the non-hooded version) and have used it in everything from light
mist to full downpour. It's ok, as far as it goes, but in the heavy stuff the water tends to puddle
on my stomach and then seap in through the zipper. Maybe the hooded version would work better in
these conditions, but I would think anything that has a front zipper would have this problem.
 
B

Bill Hole

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Dave Strauss) wrote:

> bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > The Rainshield jackets are extremely nice. The original one is the only riding jacket I have
> > ever used that I did not wish for pit zips. I have noticed, however, they have a higher end
> > jackets with pit zips. Take a look:
> >
> > http://www.rainshield.com
> >
> > Derek
>
> I have one of these (actually, the non-hooded version) and have used it in everything from light
> mist to full downpour. It's ok, as far as it goes, but in the heavy stuff the water tends to
> puddle on my stomach and then seap in through the zipper. Maybe the hooded version would work
> better in these conditions, but I would think anything that has a front zipper would have this
> problem.

I'll throw in my vote for the Rainshield. I have a Rainshield rain suit (hooded jacket plus pants).
They really do keep the rain out, and they really do breathe.

I can't address the zipper issue because I seldom ride my 'bent in the rain, but it works great on
my upwrong urban assault bike.

The only drawbacks are: the pants are a little short, so my socks get wet; and there is no elastic
on the legs. This doesn't bother me on the upwrong, but I would use rubber bands or the like to keep
them closed on the 'bent.

Bill Hole Rotator Pursuit BikeE E2 Gary Fisher urban assault bike

--
Bill Hole [email protected]
 
M

Mortdubois

Guest
I have been using one of the cheaper Rainshield jackets - rode it 45 minutes in the rain yesterday.
It is a good jacket, and does breathe quite well, and is available in a very bright yellow, with or
without hood. It does benefit from the addition of a row of stick-on Velcro buttons to keep the fly
over the zipper from blowing open, and this also prevents (most of) the water from seeping through
the zipper onto your shirt. The fabric is waterproof and does breathe, but you will still get moist
from sweat in rainy conditions (the humidity is 100%, and your sweat won't evaporate.) Overall I am
very satisfied with this jacket. I also have the pants, they are quite baggy and would also need
some velcro buttons to gather up the loose fabric at the ankle - but riding a GRR with fairing, rain
pants are not usually necessary. I believe that I paid about $60 for both the jacket and pants, so
it is considerably cheaper than the options mentioned above. It also comes with its own stuff sack.
Well worth a try.

Mort

bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The Rainshield jackets are extremely nice. The original one is the only riding jacket I have ever
> used that I did not wish for pit zips. I have noticed, however, they have a higher end jackets
> with pit zips. Take a look:
>
> http://www.rainshield.com
>
> Derek
 
H

Harryo

Guest
Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> It's about $100, and weighs about 15 oz. There are some "Red Ledge" jackets from Campmor.com that
> are also quite reasonable (~$60).
>
> If you think you'll stay dry from perspiration while doing much exercise wearing any "breathable"
> outerwear, prepare to be disappointed, though...
>
> Jon Meinecke

I have a Red Ledge rainsuit(jacket & pants} that I use for backpacking and biking. It is constructed
of nylon, with a breathable coating, not a breathable laminate, like Goretex. It is not quite as
breathable as the laminates but it very well constructed and for the price it is really a bargain.
The jacket does have a hood and pit zips and the suit is very ligh and compact when compressed into
the small, included stuff sacks.

I agree with Jon. I have yet to see any breathable raingear, including that constructed of an
expensive laminate, which I also have, that will handle perspiration from maderate to heavy
exhertion.

Harry Jiles

Harry Jiles
 

Seamus

New Member
Mar 24, 2003
105
0
0
[QUOTE> > Diagonal zip?
>
> Ok - I give in. Why do recumbent riders need a diagonal zip ? (and why does the website not
> explain the feature?)

I think its to prevent water seeping in at the zip. [/QUOTE]

I suspect most recumberumblers have more of their tummies forward than more conventional cyclists. With a conventional vertical zip this would tend to place greater stress on it, ie bulging-belly syndrome.

By having a diagonal zip I suspect less pressure is brought to bear upon it with less likely of stress and failure at this point.
 
G

Greg Dunn

Guest
I also have and like the Rainshield stuff. Feather light, so I don't worry about the weight putting
it into my pack "just in case", and have often used the jacket for a light windbreaker in a pinch.
I've never worn a rain jacket that breathes better, though I admit this is the only cycling rain
jacket I've owned.

I used my Rainshield suit in a two-hour downpour ride a few weeks ago -- its tougher test ever --
and was very impressed with how reasonably dry I was when I finally came out of the rain. I think it
actually does allow some of your sweat to flow out -- I know I've been much wetter after even mild
exercise in rubber rain suits that don't let *any* water in.

Be aware though, that the standard O2 cycling jacket (about $30) isn't meant for rough use. It tears
easily, so you have to be gentle with it. On the other hand, you can buy four of them for what many
other cycling rain jackets cost, and four will last you a very long time unless you're riding
bucking broncos in the rain.

--
Greg Dunn

"bentcruiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The Rainshield jackets are extremely nice. The original one is the only riding jacket I have ever
> used that I did not wish for pit zips. I have noticed, however, they have a higher end jackets
> with pit zips. Take a look:
>
> http://www.rainshield.com
>
> Derek
>
>
>
> --
> >--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com
 
S

Stu Sanford

Guest
All,

Thanks for your advice and help. Looks like I will go with the Marmont Precip jacket which I can get
from Campmore. A close second (and much cheaper) would be the O2 jacket.

Stu Sanford
 
Status
Not open for further replies.