Need recessed cleat shoes for super wide feet

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kclark2001, Feb 5, 2015.

1. kclark2001

kclark2001 New Member

I think they'll have to be Mt. Bike shoes.

Any resources?

Or know any one who know where to look?

Thanks.

Tags:

2. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Sidi makes a wide shoe, I got a pair called the Duran, these are MTB shoes since those are the only ones that use a recessed cleat. Shimano makes a lot of wide MTB shoes as does Specialized and probably others. If you have an LBS in town that carries Shimano, Specialized, or Sidi I would go into a store and have them measure your feet, if they don't have the right width in stock then they will order the right width, if they upon arrival they don't fit right the bike shop will either refund your deposit money or apply the money toward another shoe.

Also another shoe possibility is a touring shoe, they do will recess the cleat, Shimano again comes to the rescue, hopefully, because they do have a wide touring shoe, but you won't find these on shelves in LBS's you will have to order them.

3. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Many brands have wide-fit shoes--Shimano, Bont, Specialized, as well as Sidi, to name a few. The trick is to find a shop that has them in stock, or, lacking that, will order them for you and let you reject them or return them if they aren't right for you. Any way you look at it, your search for the right shoe will probably be time-consuming. I'd start by getting on the phone and canvassing the local shops, and reject any that insist on showing you regular-width shoes that they think just fit wide. And check out the better internet dealers.

I wish I could say it's easy, but it ain't.

4. kclark2001

kclark2001 New Member

Hey! this gets me started. Thanks for all the good information!

5. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

If you shop online make sure the store had a liberal policy about returning shoes, Performance will allow you to return a shoe even after you've used.

6. kclark2001

kclark2001 New Member

Hey,thanks!

7. kclark2001

kclark2001 New Member

New issue.

Now that I have some vendor ideas from you fine fellows, my local bike shop says due to their size I'd have to commit to buying whatever they ordered for me. There goes my hope of trying multiple brands. I'd still like to give them the business.

Does anyone have any experience that certain vendors "tend to run wider than the others"?

They all seem to just call their versions "regular" and "wide". Big help. One of them is called "Mega". Maybe it's bigger. Lol.

8. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

If the shoe they order doesn't fit that can't possibly mean you have to buy them does it? If so go to another store because that's not the way my LBS does business nor would I buy any special order shoes if that was the case.

I mentioned this before, but at Performance Bike you can try different venders and send them back if they don't fit, and they don't charge a restocking fee, they send you a return packing slip in the box to use if you return the item but you must pay for return postage so send it as cheap as you can.

9. oldbobcat

Then I would find another shop.

Some brands offer a fit guaranty, so if they don't work the vendor sucks it up. Some shops will handle the return and others will want you to deal directly with the vendor. It's obviously easier to deal with the first kind of shop. Some shops will allow you to return the shoes that they ordered that don't fit, as long as they're unused, even without the vendor guaranty. That's a good kind of shop, too.

Three brands that guaranty fit are Bont, Pearl Izumi and Shimano, but Pearl doesn't offer wide sizes. Shimano and Pearl will let you use the shoes for a month before returning.

My summary of width variations of standard width shoes follows:
    • Sidi, narrower than average; I call it a D- or C+
    • Pearl Izumi, narrower, D-
    • Specialized, wider , D+
    • Bont, wider, D+
    • Shimano, old curved last, average, D
    • Shimano, new Dynalast and MTB lasts, wider, D+
    • Bontrager, wider, D+
    • Northwave, wider, E-, but a tapered toe box

Generally, you can count on length being the same throughout a line, or at least a model, regardless of width. Sometimes a shoe that fits wider will feel longer, too, but usually that's just the metatarsals spreading. Sometimes a differently shaped last fits longer or shorter because of the way the shoe holds the foot.

Regarding sizing, remember that nominal size is just that. Over the last seven years I've worn 44.5 to 46, depending on the brand. Read sizing charts carefully. The Bont web site has instructions for measuring your feet and an online calculator that gives you (obviously) your Bont size.

Learn the dealer's and the brand's policy on returns before buying.

10. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

That's an interesting list, thanks for sharing what you found. The only difference I found from your list was a Bontrager wide (can't recall the model) was really tight on the sides, but the Sidi Duran I ended up with fit fine, and I don't have really wide feet all the box says is 45.5 no E. Not saying those Duran's would fit a wider foot but just thinking maybe the Sidi's run wider than Bontrager?

11. oldbobcat

Could be. I don't have first-hand experience with wide-fit shoes, just the regulars. Your experience with Bontragers doesn't surprise me, though, because Bontrager's fit philosophy seems to be snug as possible at the heel and midfoot with a flaring forefoot. We got a few wide Shimanos in last month, so I'll be paying attention to how customers respond to them.

My own feet are like a paddle-shaped D+. I'd been happy with Bont, but I like the Dynalast Shimanos really hit it for me now. The Specialized shape is right for me, but the built-in varus wedge shifts my alignment and aggravates my hallux rigidus..

12. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I did end up also buying a Specialized Body geometry footbed that matched my feet pressure areas according to a heat mat I stepped on to put inside the Sidi Duran shoes. I haven't used the shoes yet because I don't ride in ice and snow! I bought them earlier than I wanted but they were on sale at the LBS. But lately my feet have been hurting regardless if I'm riding or walking, so I did try a Dr Scholl inserts in my daily shoes and my feet stopped hurting so I think those Specialized footbeds should work too because the Dr Scholl machine is the same thing as the Specialized mat.

13. kclark2001

kclark2001 New Member

Hey thanks, all! I found a pair of Shimanos at my LBS. Light. Fit better than I expected, (only) 100$. I went for it.

This turned out to be a good thread. I've gotten what I needed from it and won't be monitoring going forward.

My first bike forum experience. Cool!

'Til next time...

14. kclark2001

kclark2001 New Member

Oops, I gotta make a new Reply to change my update preferences?

15. oldbobcat

Those BG footbeds are excellent. I've been using the Giro beds for the last three years, though, because they're lower volume and they just fit me better. The BGs are still doing duty in my ski boots, though. One feature that Specialized glommed on very early is the metatarsal arch, that little hump in the middle of the forefoot. That helps spread the metatarsals and relieves pressure on the nerves that run between them. Most "hotfoot" symptoms in cycling shoes are not caused by heat but by pinched or inflamed nerves, which can be the result of ill-fitting shoes, bad cleat placement, poor stride mechanics, arthritis, and numerous other disabilities.

Foot injuries and deformities can be complicated. Any problem that can't be alleviated through better fitting shoes and off-the-shelf footbeds warrants a trip to an orthopedist or podiatrist.

Clark, I'm glad you found a solution. Happy trails.

16. paichuu

paichuu New Member

The problem wіth clipless shoes аrе thаt thеу lооk great whіle you’re ON thе bike, but onсe уоu gеt off, thеy lоok vеrу out of place. They would uѕually be a big no-no for moѕt work places. Then on top оf that, you mіght havе thiѕ god damned gigantic cleat sticking оut that makes you sound like you’re wearing heels and аll thе guys wіll bе loоking аrоund thinking, “Who is that, а fine lady, maybe?” And then thеy turn around, see mе and think, “Oh, it’s somе guy (me). Why arе hіs shoes ѕo loud? Also, why’s hе walking like а retard?” For those reasons and more, I аlwаyѕ have to bring а second pair of shoes іf I’m асtuallу commuting wіth mу bike, whісh іѕ аlmost all the time.