Need recipe for large bag of mixed vegetables

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Robin, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Pot luck dinner tonight - my contribution is the vegetable side dish. I have a large bag of mixed
    vegetables from Costco (yellow squash, carrots, broccoli florets, cauliflower). What somewhat simple
    but good and interesting dish can I make with this?

    --
    "Be kind, because everyone you meet is fighting a desperate battle." Philo of Alexandria. Do not
    email if posting a response. TO EMAIL, REPLACE X WITH 4

    Tags:

  2. x-no-archive: yes

    >Pot luck dinner tonight - my contribution is the vegetable side dish. I have a large bag of mixed
    >vegetables from Costco (yellow squash, carrots, broccoli florets, cauliflower). What somewhat
    >simple but good and interesting dish can I make with this?

    Vegetables like that are always more interesting, IMO, if you add some caramelized sliced shallots
    (not green onions). If you can't find shallots, chopped onions might work. Sautee them slowly in
    butter. Meanwhile, cook the vegetables, being careful not to overdo, and make sure you drain them
    really well. Mix them with the shallots and pour a warmed herb vinaigrette over the whole thing. You
    could also add some toasted walnuts or pecans, or water chestnuts, for crunch.

    I like vegetables in a vinaigrette sauce for a potluck because they only taste better as they sit
    around, and they are fine at room temperature.

    Naomi D.

  3. Robin wrote:
    > Pot luck dinner tonight - my contribution is the vegetable side dish. I have a large bag of mixed
    > vegetables from Costco (yellow squash, carrots, broccoli florets, cauliflower). What somewhat
    > simple but good and interesting dish can I make with this?

    Steam them and drizzle hollandaise on top.

    Bake them all into a quiche.

    Marinate in olive oil, wine vinegar and Italian herbs.

    --Lia

  4. Janic412

    Janic412 Guest

    > Pot luck dinner tonight - my contribution is the vegetable side dish. I have a large bag of mixed
    > vegetables from Costco (yellow squash, carrots, broccoli florets, cauliflower). What somewhat
    > simple but good and interesting dish can I make with this?

    Here is one that will streach for a crowd, just add the celery and onions:

    Curried Vegetables

    6 cups of the vegetables you have from the bag (I use fresh cauliflower, carrots and broccoli) 1 cup
    sliced celery
    1/2 cup chopped onion

    Cook all of the vegetables just a few minutes, keep them crispy, then prepare the sauce.

    Sauce 1 can cream of chicken soup (I know)LOL, but this is good.
    2/3 cup real mayonnaise
    3/2 tsp. salt
    4/2-1 tsp. curry powder depending of how much curry you like
    5/4 tsp. ground corriander
    6/8 tsp. ground ginger
    7/2 cup shredded chaddar cheese
    8/2 cup bread crumbs 2 TBS. butter, melted

    Combine soup and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well. Fold in the cooked vegetables
    making sure to coat them with the sauce mixture. Spoon into an oven proof casserole dish. Combine
    the cheese, bread crumba and butter, sprinkle over the vegetables. Bake uncovered 350ยบ for 30-35
    minutes of until heated through. Jan