Need Recipe for Lime Ricky Soda Drink

Bruce K.

Guest
We used to get this drink at soda fountains in New York.

I think it was made with cherry syrup.

Thanks

Bruce

"Bruce K." <[email protected]> wrote

> We used to get this drink at soda fountains in New York.
>
> I think it was made with cherry syrup.

How about this?

http://www.sodapopstop.com/recipes/recipes.cfm

Cherry/ Strawberry Lime Rickey:
1 bottle of Green River Soda, Cherry or Strawberry Syrup (2 tablespoon
or to taste),
Mix in tall glass (for extra kick add chopped maraschino cherries

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Bruce K." <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>We used to get this drink at soda fountains in New York.
>>
>>I think it was made with cherry syrup.

> How about this?
>
> http://www.sodapopstop.com/recipes/recipes.cfm
>
>Cherry/ Strawberry Lime Rickey:
>1 bottle of Green River Soda, Cherry or Strawberry Syrup (2 tablespoon or to taste),
>Mix in tall glass (for extra kick add chopped maraschino cherries

That would be the Chicago version. I've never seen one made with bottled
soda. Green River soda was a Chicago/Midwest drink. Didn't really have
much distribution in the northeast. We had to make ours from scratch -
not as lucky as those Midwesterners.

Here's a picture of the cherry variant in a "Coke" glass.
<http://community.webshots.com/photo/yahoo/65522133/1065522312044692859eaOMRx>

A New England version.
<http://www.hollyeats.com/images/NewEngland/Bartleys-RaspLimeRickey.jpg>

Rickeys back in the 50's in the New York metro area were made with
fruit-flavored syrup, shaved ice and carbonated water.

Lime rickeys in my parents' soda fountain were made in a tall and narrow
glass. Building it from the bottom: lime syrup (about 1 1/2 ounces), a
squeeze of fresh lime (and a wedge or a few dropped into the glass),
carbonated water 1/2 way up the glass, shaved ice to fill about 3/4 of
the glass, carbonated water on top. The shaved ice floated, so a
maraschino cherry that they used for a garnish sat proudly on top of it
all. Drink with a straw. Any other flavor rickey used part lime syrup
and part the other flavor, to taste. The most popular flavors were plain
lime or other flavors based on lime, but augmented - cherry, strawberry
and orange (which was made with about 1/2 carbonated water and 1/2
orange juice with orange wedges added).

The glasses they were often served in were the tall highball glass
(10-12 ounces) called "rickey" or "collins" glasses in the northeastern
U.S. Sometimes also called "tall iced tea" glasses here in the south
where I live.

Here's a gin rickey
<http://www.bolscocktails.com/cocktail-detail.asp?d=19553> as
interpreted by the gang at Bols.

The glass: <http://www.awesomedrinks.com/glassware_collins.html>
We used the frosted ones. I love the way the copywriter transformed a
glass we used 50 years ago into a hip 21st century number. "Futuristic
look"... Bwah...

Pastorio