Need Recipe for Lime Ricky Soda Drink

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bruce K., Mar 21, 2006.

  1. Bruce K.

    Bruce K. Guest

    We used to get this drink at soda fountains in New York.

    I think it was made with cherry syrup.

    Thanks

    Bruce

    Tags:

  2. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Bruce K." <[email protected]> wrote

    > We used to get this drink at soda fountains in New York.
    >
    > I think it was made with cherry syrup.

    How about this?

    http://www.sodapopstop.com/recipes/recipes.cfm

    Cherry/ Strawberry Lime Rickey:
    1 bottle of Green River Soda, Cherry or Strawberry Syrup (2 tablespoon
    or to taste),
    Mix in tall glass (for extra kick add chopped maraschino cherries

    nancy

  3. Nancy Young wrote:
    > "Bruce K." <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>We used to get this drink at soda fountains in New York.
    >>
    >>I think it was made with cherry syrup.

    > How about this?
    >
    > http://www.sodapopstop.com/recipes/recipes.cfm
    >
    >Cherry/ Strawberry Lime Rickey:
    >1 bottle of Green River Soda, Cherry or Strawberry Syrup (2 tablespoon or to taste),
    >Mix in tall glass (for extra kick add chopped maraschino cherries

    That would be the Chicago version. I've never seen one made with bottled
    soda. Green River soda was a Chicago/Midwest drink. Didn't really have
    much distribution in the northeast. We had to make ours from scratch -
    not as lucky as those Midwesterners.

    Here's a picture of the cherry variant in a "Coke" glass.
    <http://community.webshots.com/photo/yahoo/65522133/1065522312044692859eaOMRx>

    A New England version.
    <http://www.hollyeats.com/images/NewEngland/Bartleys-RaspLimeRickey.jpg>

    Rickeys back in the 50's in the New York metro area were made with
    fruit-flavored syrup, shaved ice and carbonated water.

    Lime rickeys in my parents' soda fountain were made in a tall and narrow
    glass. Building it from the bottom: lime syrup (about 1 1/2 ounces), a
    squeeze of fresh lime (and a wedge or a few dropped into the glass),
    carbonated water 1/2 way up the glass, shaved ice to fill about 3/4 of
    the glass, carbonated water on top. The shaved ice floated, so a
    maraschino cherry that they used for a garnish sat proudly on top of it
    all. Drink with a straw. Any other flavor rickey used part lime syrup
    and part the other flavor, to taste. The most popular flavors were plain
    lime or other flavors based on lime, but augmented - cherry, strawberry
    and orange (which was made with about 1/2 carbonated water and 1/2
    orange juice with orange wedges added).

    The glasses they were often served in were the tall highball glass
    (10-12 ounces) called "rickey" or "collins" glasses in the northeastern
    U.S. Sometimes also called "tall iced tea" glasses here in the south
    where I live.

    Here's a gin rickey
    <http://www.bolscocktails.com/cocktail-detail.asp?d=19553> as
    interpreted by the gang at Bols.

    The glass: <http://www.awesomedrinks.com/glassware_collins.html>
    We used the frosted ones. I love the way the copywriter transformed a
    glass we used 50 years ago into a hip 21st century number. "Futuristic
    look"... Bwah...

    Pastorio