need recommendation for best (ergonomic)carbon handlebar

Kocsis

Nov 6, 2005
I'm about to build a custom CF/Ti bike and am trying to narrow my choice of CF handlebars (the alum vs CF is resolved for me...no need to discuss). What would you recommend for handlebars - I get hand numbness on medium-length (40-50 mi) rides and would like something very comfortable, with the most comfortable tape. I do switch frequently between positions...use them all. Thanks.

Kocsis said:
I'm about to build a custom CF/Ti bike and am trying to narrow my choice of CF handlebars (the alum vs CF is resolved for me...no need to discuss). What would you recommend for handlebars - I get hand numbness on medium-length (40-50 mi) rides and would like something very comfortable, with the most comfortable tape. I do switch frequently between positions...use them all. Thanks.
I love the 3T BioMorphe bars. Expensive and hard to come by, but very comfortable. Short reach and drop which I like. I now spend more time in the drops. Which Ti/Cf frame are your getting?

You might look at the Reynolds Ouzo Pro Anatomic CF bars. They have bends similar to the Zipp bars but not exactly the same: less drop, bars slope downward slightly from the stem clamp to the bends, bars are swept very slightly forward for comfort in the drops, bar top has aero-ish cross section that's not exteme like FSAs, drops do not have constant radius so you have more options on placement of hoods/brifters.

Thanks. I am considering the Seven ID8 frame. Any suggestions for buying the bars at below retail?

Kocsis said:
Thanks. I am considering the Seven ID8 frame. Any suggestions for buying the bars at below retail?

Good luck. The Reynolds bars are a pretty labor intensive process, and they're made here. Zipps are the same: expensiveish and made here. FSAs are pricey.

If you're looking for cheapish ergo CF bars, then you'll probably need to look at any of the bars coming out of the Far East. If you do some searching, you'll find that many of them look the same and are, in fact, the same bars with different names put on 'em. As for cheap.....Woodman, I think? Token, maybe Control Tech...dunno. PZ Components. Google is your friend. The Weight Weenies website has a big list of manufacturer urls that you can look thru:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/links.php?action=linkdb&first_char=A

You could also find a set on eBay.

alienator said:
Good luck. The Reynolds bars are a pretty labor intensive process, and they're made here. Zipps are the same: expensiveish and made here. FSAs are pricey.
I got my 42cm FSA K-wings on ebay for $150.

I am exceptionally satisfied with it on all counts except for two minor quibbles:

1. The top flat part is just a little too wide, so if I can not comfortably hook my thumb around the bar when riding on top. The flat tops of other ergo carbon bars are narrower and easier for ridding on the top with thimb hooked around the bar top.

2. The outside entry holes for the internal cable routes are poorly angled for Campy shift cable. The way it is set up, after the cable cames out of the brifters it must bow out in order to enter the bar at the angle dictated. This makes that part uncomfortable to hold.

Even with these shortcomings, I would highly recommend the FSA K-wing.

Vincolo carbon road bars are light, very well shaped and relatively low priced ($250). they are oversize. Vincolo is an offshoot brand of Cytek.