Need recommendation for Melbourne

Hi,

Havn't been to this group for a number of years. Still I see a few of
the
old names in here.

Anyway, Recently sort of moved to Melbourne (go back to Sydney on
weekends). Therefore, do not want to have my bike down there (here -
**** that is confusing) and want to buy another. Could I get some
recommendation for non rip off, friendly, good advice bike stores down
in the southern city?

I do notice, walking around Albert Park and the like that it seems like
cyclists seem to be catered for a little more adequately too. Looking
forward to getting into it.

Cheers,
Crandal

PS: After a hybrid. Will only be riding roads.

I've had good sales and service experiences at The Freedom Machine in Bay St Port Melbourne. I usually just drool over the road bikes, but half their shop is dedicated to mtb/hybrid. They also have a store in Chapel st South Yarra, but I've only been there once.
www.freedommachine.com.au

Richmond Cyclery (Bridge Road Richmond) are a good bunch of guys. They've just opened a new store opposite Dan Murphy's, so they might have more now.
www.richmondcyclery.com.au

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that I'd be comfortable recommending. As you no doubt know...one experience can be good, and the next can be bad.

On 2006-10-24, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Havn't been to this group for a number of years. Still I see a few of
> the
> old names in here.
>
> Anyway, Recently sort of moved to Melbourne (go back to Sydney on
> weekends). Therefore, do not want to have my bike down there (here -
> **** that is confusing) and want to buy another. Could I get some
> recommendation for non rip off, friendly, good advice bike stores down
> in the southern city?
>
> I do notice, walking around Albert Park and the like that it seems like
> cyclists seem to be catered for a little more adequately too. Looking
> forward to getting into it.
>
> Cheers,
> Crandal
>
> PS: After a hybrid. Will only be riding roads.

Abottfords Cycles in Swan St. Richmond is the best LBS in Melb. (IMHO)
but they don't (normally) sell bikes, they do occasionally have a
touring machine up for sales, St. Kilda Cycles is OK, and so is Lygon
St. cycles but that more out of your way.

Cheers

Joel

> > PS: After a hybrid. Will only be riding roads.Abottfords Cycles in Swan St. Richmond is the best LBS in Melb. (IMHO)

> but they don't (normally) sell bikes, they do occasionally have a
> touring machine up for sales, St. Kilda Cycles is OK, and so is Lygon
> St. cycles but that more out of your way.
>
> Cheers
>
> Joel

I am actually in Sth Melbourne.

I am actually in Sth Melbourne.

I live in South Melbourne, my LBS is Bike Now, they are on the corner of Kings Way and Park Street in South Melbourne, have purchased bikes from there and had services there for years now. Talk to one of the guys and ask them for a discount and they will probably give you the standard 10% if you at least ask. Sell a lot of Giant, hybrids, MTB and Road.

I personally don't like Freedom Machine, but thats just my opinion and experience, I don't work for Bike Now or anything.

Hi,

Havn't been to this group for a number of years. Still I see a few of
the
old names in here.

Anyway, Recently sort of moved to Melbourne (go back to Sydney on
weekends). Therefore, do not want to have my bike down there (here -
**** that is confusing) and want to buy another. Could I get some
recommendation for non rip off, friendly, good advice bike stores down
in the southern city?

I do notice, walking around Albert Park and the like that it seems like
cyclists seem to be catered for a little more adequately too. Looking
forward to getting into it.

Cheers,
Crandal

PS: After a hybrid. Will only be riding roads.
Total Rush in Swan St Richmond.

They are a Specialized and Avanti shop, and have a couple of awesome mechanics. If a hybrid is what you are after, then the Specialized one is the way to go, they are the highest selling Hybrid in America.

On 2006-10-24, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Havn't been to this group for a number of years. Still I see a few of
> the
> old names in here.
>
> Anyway, Recently sort of moved to Melbourne (go back to Sydney on
> weekends). Therefore, do not want to have my bike down there (here -
> **** that is confusing) and want to buy another. Could I get some
> recommendation for non rip off, friendly, good advice bike stores down
> in the southern city?
>
> I do notice, walking around Albert Park and the like that it seems like
> cyclists seem to be catered for a little more adequately too. Looking
> forward to getting into it.
>
> Cheers,
> Crandal
>
> PS: After a hybrid. Will only be riding roads.

Abottfords Cycles in Swan St. Richmond is the best LBS in Melb. (IMHO)
but they don't (normally) sell bikes, they do occasionally have a
touring machine up for sales, St. Kilda Cycles is OK, and so is Lygon
St. cycles but that more out of your way.

Cheers

Joel

I'll second the vote for Abbottsfords Cycles - If you want to get an old clunker back on the road for the cheapest price, their expertise and general helpfulness is first class.

Ritch

Joel Mayes said:
Abottfords Cycles in Swan St. Richmond is the best LBS in Melb. (IMHO)
but they don't (normally) sell bikes, they do occasionally have a
touring machine up for sales, St. Kilda Cycles is OK, and so is Lygon
St. cycles but that more out of your way.

Cheers

Joel
I second that notion about Abbotsford. They are the most honest LBS guys around. I get my bikes serviced there (once the free services expired) and one time he quoted me $100 to get a whole lot of stuff done, then when I went to pick it up...he said that they found an easier way to fix something and it only cost me $60. Great guys...but as you said...they don't really sell bikes, just stuff...lot's of touring and safety gear etc.

+1 for BikeNow (although I am slightly biased - it was my old LBS). Justin in particular is a great guy.

RobM said:
+1 for BikeNow (although I am slightly biased - it was my old LBS). Justin in particular is a great guy.

+1 for Justin as well... top guy, Brendan is no longer there.

On 2006-10-24, Walrus <[email protected]> wrote:

> Joel Mayes Wrote:
>>
>> Abottfords Cycles in Swan St. Richmond is the best LBS in Melb. (IMHO)
>> but they don't (normally) sell bikes, they do occasionally have a
>> touring machine up for sales, St. Kilda Cycles is OK, and so is Lygon
>> St. cycles but that more out of your way.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> JoelI second that notion about Abbotsford. They are the most honest LBS guys

> around. I get my bikes serviced there (once the free services expired)
> and one time he quoted me $100 to get a whole lot of stuff done, then
> when I went to pick it up...he said that they found an easier way to
> fix something and it only cost me $60. Great guys...but as you
> said...they don't really sell bikes, just stuff...lot's of touring and
> safety gear etc.

They've got a wonderful respect for old bikes too, a sent a friend there
went it became apparent the entire drive chain needed replacing (several
rollers on the chain had worn off and she was running on the pins!) it's
a crappy old thing but she's an excelent artist who won several art
prizes for her paintings and had spent quite some time doing a custom
paint job on her bike, any other LBS would have told her "not worth
servicing but we can sell you a new one", Abottsford admired the paint
job and did a flawless service.

What more can you say :)

Cheers

Joel

On 2006-10-25, Joel Mayes (aka Bruce)
> On 2006-10-24, Walrus <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Joel Mayes Wrote:
>>>
>>> Abottfords Cycles in Swan St. Richmond is the best LBS in Melb. (IMHO)
>>> but they don't (normally) sell bikes, they do occasionally have a
>>> touring machine up for sales, St. Kilda Cycles is OK, and so is Lygon
>>> St. cycles but that more out of your way.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> JoelI second that notion about Abbotsford. They are the most honest LBS guys

>> around. I get my bikes serviced there (once the free services expired)
>> and one time he quoted me $100 to get a whole lot of stuff done, then
>> when I went to pick it up...he said that they found an easier way to
>> fix something and it only cost me $60. Great guys...but as you
>> said...they don't really sell bikes, just stuff...lot's of touring and
>> safety gear etc.
>>

> They've got a wonderful respect for old bikes too, a sent a friend there
> went it became apparent the entire drive chain needed replacing (several
> rollers on the chain had worn off and she was running on the pins!) it's
> a crappy old thing but she's an excelent artist who won several art
> prizes for her paintings and had spent quite some time doing a custom
> paint job on her bike, any other LBS would have told her "not worth
> servicing but we can sell you a new one", Abottsford admired the paint
> job and did a flawless service.
>
> What more can you say :)

Vote time:

[ ] Peter is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[x] Simon is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[ ] Roger is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[ ] Other is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!

--
TimC
you are WRONG. QED -- George Hammond

I rang them. They were most helpful and recommended Ivanhoe Cycles.

Peter

On 2006-10-25, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> I rang them. They were most helpful and recommended Ivanhoe Cycles.
>
> Peter

Aah, the bike shop at the top of the hill! (You'll know what I mean if
you ride there :)

I've only stuck me head in there on ocassion, but I know there is (was?)
a relationship between them and Hillman cycles so they should be pretty
good.

Vote time:

[x] Peter is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[ ] Simon is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[ ] Roger is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[ ] Other is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!

I vote Peter because he actually pronounces my name quite well... Simon recognises me, but I think he's too scared to try say my name....

On 2006-10-25, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2006-10-25, Joel Mayes (aka Bruce)

Vote time:

[ ] Peter is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[ ] Simon is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[ ] Roger is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[X] Other is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!

Can't remember his name, and don't think he really works there, but is a
friend of Peters. Loved my Postie Bike and rides one himself, he's kept
the original gearing at the back and put in a BB convertor and a triple
chain ring on his Postie bike, says it give him three gears, one way too
high, one way to low, and one OK :)

Vote time:

[x] Peter is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[x] Simon is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[x] Roger is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!
[x] Other is the all-round nicest bloke EVAR!

AND

[x] New mechanic is the all-round nicest lady EVAR!

They're all equally lovely. And AC gives up to 10% off on parts for YarraBUG members (upon presentation of membership card), and sponsors the website. Top shop all round. ;)

Joel Mayes wrote:
> On 2006-10-24, Walrus <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Joel Mayes Wrote:
> >>
> >> Abottfords Cycles in Swan St. Richmond is the best LBS in Melb. (IMHO)
> >> but they don't (normally) sell bikes, they do occasionally have a
> >> touring machine up for sales, St. Kilda Cycles is OK, and so is Lygon
> >> St. cycles but that more out of your way.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> JoelI second that notion about Abbotsford. They are the most honest LBS guys

> > around. I get my bikes serviced there (once the free services expired)
> > and one time he quoted me $100 to get a whole lot of stuff done, then
> > when I went to pick it up...he said that they found an easier way to
> > fix something and it only cost me $60. Great guys...but as you
> > said...they don't really sell bikes, just stuff...lot's of touring and
> > safety gear etc.
> >

> They've got a wonderful respect for old bikes too, a sent a friend there
> went it became apparent the entire drive chain needed replacing (several
> rollers on the chain had worn off and she was running on the pins!) it's
> a crappy old thing but she's an excelent artist who won several art
> prizes for her paintings and had spent quite some time doing a custom
> paint job on her bike, any other LBS would have told her "not worth
> servicing but we can sell you a new one", Abottsford admired the paint
> job and did a flawless service.

Not any other, some others might recognise a loved item, not *all*
LBS's are stuporstores :)

cfsmtb said:
[x] New mechanic is the all-round nicest lady EVAR!

As Peter put it "Meet {can't remember her name}. She's new here and likes track standing in the middle of the shop and making us all jealous".....

Snuffy wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:
>> [x] New mechanic is the all-round nicest lady EVAR!

> As Peter put it "Meet {can't remember her name}. She's new here and
> likes track standing in the middle of the shop and making us all
> jealous".....

Ahh now there's an idea. I'd like to learn how to track stand but have
an aversion to falling. Maybe I should do it in the shed next to a wall
with something else as a prop on the other side.

DaveB