Need recommendation for Mtn Bike under $700

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Jackson, Feb 4, 2003.

  1. Paul Jackson

    Paul Jackson Guest

    Hello,

    I have a budget of up to $700 to get a mountain bike. Any recommendations for models/manufacturers
    in this price range? I will not be doing any hard core racing, just pleasure riding.

    Thanks! -Paul

    replace nospam.nospam with att.net in my e-mail address to respond privately.

    --

    Help prevent pet overpopulation. Please spay & neuter your pets. http://www.doghause.com/neuter.html
    http://www.fixcats.com

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:

    Tags:

  2. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Jamis Dakar. Full Suspension and right in your price range.

    --
    mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
    Marx xes out for mail "Paul Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:z2%%[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a budget of up to $700 to get a mountain bike. Any recommendations for models/manufacturers
    > in this price range? I will not be doing any hard core racing, just pleasure riding.
    >
    > Thanks! -Paul
    >
    > replace nospam.nospam with att.net in my e-mail address to respond privately.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Help prevent pet overpopulation. Please spay & neuter your pets.
    > http://www.doghause.com/neuter.html http://www.fixcats.com
    >
    > --
    > rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
    > contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    > http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  3. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    Get a bike with just front suspension. something like this Jamis Exile should be under $700
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/03_2exile.html or the Jamis Dakota AL, maybe over $700
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/03_2dakotaal.html

    "Paul Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:z2%%[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a budget of up to $700 to get a mountain bike. Any recommendations for models/manufacturers
    > in this price range? I will not be doing any hard core racing, just pleasure riding.
    >
    > Thanks! -Paul
    >
    > replace nospam.nospam with att.net in my e-mail address to respond privately.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Help prevent pet overpopulation. Please spay & neuter your pets.
    > http://www.doghause.com/neuter.html http://www.fixcats.com
    >
    > --
    > rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
    > contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    > http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  4. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    "Paul Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<z2%%[email protected]>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a budget of up to $700 to get a mountain bike. Any recommendations for models/manufacturers
    > in this price range? I will not be doing any hard core racing, just pleasure riding.
    >
    > Thanks! -Paul

    depends on the type of riding you do and your own personal preferences. the dakar would probably be
    one of the best choices if you want full suspension. i'm still one of those dinosaur hardtail
    holdouts, and ride a gary fisher marlin. had it three years and it's been very reliable for my
    (admittedly) gentle riding style. i do weigh 235#, however. for a little more money (still under
    $700), almost all the bike companies make great hardtails. i don't think you could go wrong with any
    of them, just pick a good dealer. smokey

    > replace nospam.nospam with att.net in my e-mail address to respond privately.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Help prevent pet overpopulation. Please spay & neuter your pets.
    > http://www.doghause.com/neuter.html http://www.fixcats.com

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  5. Dt

    Dt Guest