Need recommendation for upright bike of the Dutch cruiser ilk (but hopefully lighter!)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brad Ford, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. Brad Ford

    Brad Ford Guest

    I commute and recreate on my road bike, but I need another bike for
    family rides fitting the following criteria:

    1) Must be upright (no drops) to accomodate a center-mounted child
    bicycle seat
    2) Must have chain guard, fenders, preferably mudguards (I want to ride
    it in street clothes without getting them dirty)
    3) A plus would be wide-gearing for hill climbing (I'd prefer
    derailleurs to hub 3 or 7 or 8 speed shifting).
    4) The lighter the better, but durability is paramount.

    I'm also kind of a sucker for old-school dynamo driven lighting.

    I'm surprised by the utter lack of "full service" bikes on the US
    market. I visited Amsterdam for the first time this year, and as an
    avid cyclist and bike culture dude, I appreciated seeing so many men in
    suits and women in skirts riding bicycles around. Bikes sold here
    definitely target a different segment.

    I've done a little research, and found a few options, such as the
    "Town" or "Range" bikes by Joe Breeze (breezerbikes.com). I also found
    the Cannondale "Street"
    (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6SR.html), but I have no
    idea about build quality on either of these.

    Anyone have suggestions?

    Tags:

  2. landotter

    landotter Guest

    The Breezer bikes are a great value and the build quality is as good as
    any bike in the price range.

    I too am shocked by the lack of simple, as I call them, "car-bikes" in
    the states. My old Nexus 7 bike was one, and a rarity when I bought it
    in '99 or so. I was stolen a couple years back and I was devastated as
    I simply couldn't find anything to replace it with. I've recently
    bought a Brodie Energy from Canada which has car-bike tendencies. It
    does have derailleurs which I'll put up with for a while, yuck, but it
    does have disc brakes, which have that low fiddle factor I like.

    If you've got the bucks, shell out for an ANT Boston Roadster, and have
    him build the front wheel on a Shimano Nexus dynamo hub to power your
    lighting. Expensive, but for a vehicle that's actually used every day,
    not a bad deal at all: http://www.antbikemike.com/bostonroadster.html

    If you're set on derailleurs and need a flat top tube for the child
    seat, best and cheapest option would be to source an older hybrid with
    flat top bar, and add the extras you want.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Brad Ford wrote:

    > I commute and recreate on my road bike, but I need another bike for
    > family rides fitting the following criteria:
    >
    > 1) Must be upright (no drops) to accomodate a center-mounted child
    > bicycle seat
    > 2) Must have chain guard, fenders, preferably mudguards (I want to ride
    > it in street clothes without getting them dirty)
    > 3) A plus would be wide-gearing for hill climbing (I'd prefer
    > derailleurs to hub 3 or 7 or 8 speed shifting).
    > 4) The lighter the better, but durability is paramount.
    >
    > I'm also kind of a sucker for old-school dynamo driven lighting.
    >
    > I'm surprised by the utter lack of "full service" bikes on the US
    > market. I visited Amsterdam for the first time this year, and as an
    > avid cyclist and bike culture dude, I appreciated seeing so many men in
    > suits and women in skirts riding bicycles around. Bikes sold here
    > definitely target a different segment.
    >
    > I've done a little research, and found a few options, such as the
    > "Town" or "Range" bikes by Joe Breeze (breezerbikes.com). I also found
    > the Cannondale "Street"
    > (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6SR.html), but I have no
    > idea about build quality on either of these.
    >
    > Anyone have suggestions?

    Have you looked at Kettler C.C.Elegance or Kettler Delta?
    SRAM Seven with mudguards, chain cover, dynamo hub,
    standlights, carrier, pump, skirtguard on ladies',etc. The
    whole package is standard.
    Can't have chain covers with derailleurs but they do have
    derailleur models with mudguards.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  4. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

    My wife has a Breezer Liberty and loves it. Another option is to
    speak to Doug Fattic, a master framebuilder in Michigan. He's been
    building steel bikes of this sort, somehow related to a Ukrainian bike
    plant. I'm pretty sure you can find a link to him on Google.

    Ken Freeman

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Brad Ford wrote:
    >
    >> I commute and recreate on my road bike, but I need another bike for
    >> family rides fitting the following criteria:
    >>
    >> 1) Must be upright (no drops) to accomodate a center-mounted child
    >> bicycle seat
    >> 2) Must have chain guard, fenders, preferably mudguards (I want to
    >> ride
    >> it in street clothes without getting them dirty)
    >> 3) A plus would be wide-gearing for hill climbing (I'd prefer
    >> derailleurs to hub 3 or 7 or 8 speed shifting).
    >> 4) The lighter the better, but durability is paramount.
    >>
    >> I'm also kind of a sucker for old-school dynamo driven lighting.
    >>
    >> I'm surprised by the utter lack of "full service" bikes on the US
    >> market. I visited Amsterdam for the first time this year, and as
    >> an
    >> avid cyclist and bike culture dude, I appreciated seeing so many
    >> men in
    >> suits and women in skirts riding bicycles around. Bikes sold here
    >> definitely target a different segment.
    >>
    >> I've done a little research, and found a few options, such as the
    >> "Town" or "Range" bikes by Joe Breeze (breezerbikes.com). I also
    >> found
    >> the Cannondale "Street"
    >> (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6SR.html), but I
    >> have no
    >> idea about build quality on either of these.
    >>
    >> Anyone have suggestions?
    >>

    > Have you looked at Kettler C.C.Elegance or Kettler Delta? SRAM Seven
    > with mudguards, chain cover, dynamo hub, standlights, carrier, pump,
    > skirtguard on ladies',etc. The whole package is standard.
    > Can't have chain covers with derailleurs but they do have derailleur
    > models with mudguards.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi
    > www.yellowjersey.org
    > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  5. spin156

    spin156 Guest

    Brad Ford wrote:
    > I commute and recreate on my road bike, but I need another bike for
    > family rides fitting the following criteria:
    >
    > 1) Must be upright (no drops) to accomodate a center-mounted child
    > bicycle seat
    > 2) Must have chain guard, fenders, preferably mudguards (I want to ride
    > it in street clothes without getting them dirty)
    > 3) A plus would be wide-gearing for hill climbing (I'd prefer
    > derailleurs to hub 3 or 7 or 8 speed shifting).
    > 4) The lighter the better, but durability is paramount.
    >
    > I'm also kind of a sucker for old-school dynamo driven lighting.
    >
    > I'm surprised by the utter lack of "full service" bikes on the US
    > market. I visited Amsterdam for the first time this year, and as an
    > avid cyclist and bike culture dude, I appreciated seeing so many men in
    > suits and women in skirts riding bicycles around. Bikes sold here
    > definitely target a different segment.
    >

    > I've done a little research, and found a few options, such as the
    > "Town" or "Range" bikes by Joe Breeze (breezerbikes.com). I also found
    > the Cannondale "Street"
    > (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6SR.html), but I have no
    > idea about build quality on either of these.
    >
    > Anyone have suggestions?

    This Koga-Miyata that I saw at Harris is pretty nice:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/koga/liteace8.html

    - and, meets most of your specs.