Need recommendation on low-end MB disc wheelsets

John Davies

Guest
I am looking for a lightweight XC wheelset, preferably under 1900 grams and US$200. I am a wuss - I
weigh 160 lbs, I ride easy and I don't tear up my equipment, so ultimate strength is less an issue
than weight and price. My current v-brake wheels are 2100 grams, so I am hoping to keep the over-all
weight about the same when I install Avid mechanical disc brakes and the new wheels.

I found a couple of wheelsets, but I need more info. Perhaps someone can help?

http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?itempageitemid=20891

These are Alex Vectra D2 Disc wheels. They look nice, and I am partial to paired spokes (I have Rolf
Vector Comps on my Lemond Zurich), but I can't find anything else about this manufacturer, and that
bothers me. Their website just shows their different wheel models. Any idea on the quality, or lack
there-of, and where they are made? Do they use standard spokes?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/cbolarge_photo.html?SKU=12615&Store=Bike

These are on sale for $149.99 in the latest catalog. Any comments on the Topo wheel line?

If these wheels are too crappy, what could I get in the $300 range that would be a better choice?

Is there a better newsgroup to ask these questions?

I would appreciate some help, because I am more than a little confused.

TIA.

John Davies Monroe WA USA

2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2000 Audi A4 quattro 1.8T 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

"John Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am looking for a lightweight XC wheelset, preferably under 1900 grams and US$200. I am a wuss -
> I weigh 160 lbs, I ride easy and I don't tear up my equipment, so ultimate strength is less an
> issue than weight and price. My current v-brake wheels are 2100 grams, so I am hoping to keep the
> over-all weight about the same when I install Avid mechanical disc brakes and the new wheels.
>
> I found a couple of wheelsets, but I need more info. Perhaps someone can help?
>
> http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?itempageitemid=20891
>
> These are Alex Vectra D2 Disc wheels. They look nice, and I am partial to paired spokes (I have
> Rolf Vector Comps on my Lemond Zurich), but I can't find anything else about this manufacturer,
> and that bothers me. Their website just shows their different wheel models. Any idea on the
> quality, or lack there-of, and where they are made? Do they use standard spokes?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/cbolarge_photo.html?SKU=12615&Store=Bike

> These are on sale for $149.99 in the latest catalog. Any comments on the Topo wheel line?
>
> If these wheels are too crappy, what could I get in the $300 range that would be a better choice?
>
> Is there a better newsgroup to ask these questions?
>
> I would appreciate some help, because I am more than a little confused.

Just to add to the confusion you can get a solid set of wheels _and_ your Avid's here

http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1891&Catalog=39&sort=Price

I have these wheels and they have held up well to XC abuse. I don't know how much the set weighs in
at however. They 'seem' to be a bit heavier than the Rolf Dolomites I have.

Mike

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:10:55 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just to add to the confusion you can get a solid set of wheels _and_ your Avid's here
>
>http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1891&Catalog=39&sort=Price
>
>I have these wheels and they have held up well to XC abuse. I don't know how much the set weighs in
>at however. They 'seem' to be a bit heavier than the Rolf Dolomites I have.
>
>Mike

Thanks for the link. Those wheels are a little heavier than I want. An
XT/ X-223 disc wheelset is claimed by Supergo to be 2100 grams. I expect the Deore set to be a bit
more than that.

1900 grams is my target weight, since that would not significantly increase the bike weight when I
convert to discs. I really want better brakes, but I also want to keep the rotating weight down as
much as practical.

Thanks again.

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:22:10 GMT, John Davies <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for the link. Those wheels are a little heavier than I want. An
>XT/ X-223 disc wheelset is claimed by Supergo to be 2100 grams. I expect the Deore set to be a bit
> more than that.

I found a link to just the wheels. They are claimed to be "under 2390 grams" without rotors !!!!
Unless that is a typo, sorry, you bought boat anchors. I hope they are durable.

http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1517&Catalog=39&sort=Price

If you spent $500 on a set of American Classic standard 32 spoke wheels, you would shed 790 grams of
rotating weight. That is 1.75 pounds.

John Davies Monroe WA USA

2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2000 Audi A4 quattro 1.8T 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

As a former employee of Performance, the best thing about buying stuff from them is their guarantee.
If you are ever dissatisfied with something, you can bring it back. I bought one of their Viewpoint
light systems back when I worked there a few years ago, and last year the headlamp assembly started
having some problems. I brought it back, and they gave me a whole new one.

I'm sure the Perf wheels are "OK," they just don't have any Gucci factor to them. They also don't
have particularly servicable hubs, meaning if the freehub mechanism craps out, it can't be replaced
(which is why I like Shimano hubs...replacement bodies are easy to obtain). The guarantee will take
care of that though.

As for the set on Supergo, they're probably OK as well, although I personally am not a fan of paired
spoke wheels. They look cool, but I find that a lot of them aren't very round.

FWIW, Supergo is now owned by Performance.

Russell

John Davies <[email protected]> wrote:

> 1900 grams is my target weight, since that would not significantly increase the bike weight when I
> convert to discs. I really want better brakes, but I also want to keep the rotating weight down as
> much as practical.
>
> Thanks again.
>

> John Davies Monroe WA USA

John, most of us would agree that lighter is better as long as durability isn't compromised. But
that thing about rotating weight implies that rotating weight matters. A simple analysis will
show that it does not, as bike wheels differ little in this regard in the range of accelerations
seen on bikes.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

"John Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:22:10 GMT, John Davies <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the link. Those wheels are a little heavier than I want. An
> >XT/ X-223 disc wheelset is claimed by Supergo to be 2100 grams. I expect the Deore set to be a
> > bit more than that.
>
> I found a link to just the wheels. They are claimed to be "under 2390 grams" without rotors !!!!
> Unless that is a typo, sorry, you bought boat anchors. I hope they are durable.
>
> http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1517&Catalog=39&sort=Price
>
> If you spent $500 on a set of American Classic standard 32 spoke wheels, you would shed 790 grams
> of rotating weight. That is 1.75 pounds.

Good Lord!!! I don't know how I ever rode the bike with those wheels!!! Thanks for setting me
straight! ;^)

Mike - train on heavy, race on light.

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:58:01 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike - train on heavy, race on light.

John - Cruise on light, don't race at all.....