Need recommendations for a travel bag

lisan

Apr 19, 2004
Anyone find a great travel bag for their bike? I work for an airline and fly a lot. Now that I've started cycling, I want to take my bike with me - especially on longer trips or to go to rides. I'm not concerned about storing the bag when I arrive, since we'll likely travel somewhere, stay in the same city, then return home.

We also travel with our 2 year old; so I need something that maybe has wheels or is easy to lug around (given that we'll also be hauling a car seat and luggage; nevermind chasing around the 2 year old!).

Any suggestions?

Lisa

hi there...theres a great company in new zealand that makes an excellent carry-on bike bag! 'Ground Effects' makes 2 bike bags, id recommend checking out the 'Tardis' bag on their website. you have to disassemble your bike a bit, but not much...both wheels, the rear deralleiur (i think) and the petals come off, and then just the handlebars need to be twisted. the bag is very durable and extremely lightweight (like 3lbs!), has some padding and even has compartments for the petals and wheels to slip into. it compacts the bike very well and has a shoulder strap to lug it around. whats even better is that the bag folds down to practically nothing! the only thing is (i learned this after i bought one) is that the bag is made to fit a bike with 26" wheels. you can (ive seen it work) get 700 wheels in it, but then you have to dissaemble more parts on the bike and squeeze it in. the company is really great too.... i bought one and had it shipped to me in the usa, but then returned it a month later in new zealand while touring, and they refunded me everything :) and with smiles!

hope this helps...cheers!