Need Recommendations on buying New Bike please: Specialized FSR PRO or other

CaRoller1

Jun 28, 2005
Hey everyone... I am a 27 year old male (5'7, 150 lbs) living in Santa Barbara, CA (biking here is AMAZING) and recently started biking every other day with my good friend for the past 3 months. It is now time for us to upgrade our bikes and although I have tried bike stores, I still am a bit unsure of what would be the best bikes for us. If you can help with any suggestions or/and advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!

We ride between 3-6 hours at a time, mostly firetrails, dirt paths with small bumps, some loose dirt but not much, and also a lot of street. Probably about 50% dirt trails (mostly packed dirt but some loose, usually only small pebbles or bumps), 40% streets (half of that being uphill, some strenuous since we do like uphill biking and also a lot of biking in the wine country), 8% very bumping terrain on beat-up old-roads and dirt roads, terrain, 2% technical downhill (but never a jump or fall greater than 1-2 feet). We never really do anything with large rocks, boulders, logs, or big jumps.

I definitely want a bike that is much more comfortable (I use a base model inexpensive Trek Mountain Bike with old front suspension only - I've noticed recently that my butt hurts A LOT after really long rides!! :() and more versatile but also under $1700 - thus I was recommended the Specialized FSR XC for $860 or the FSR PRO for $1500 from a local bike shop.

These are my most important considerations:
-Comfort (perfer FULL suspension)
-Versatility
-Durability
-Speed (do not want it to be slow on open paved roads)
-Style (because I am vain)
-Price (would like to stay under $1700).

I think I'll probably get the Specialized FSR PRO. What do you think? Is this a good buy or are there other bikes I should consider?

If you have any questions, please just let me know.

Thank you for all your help!!
-Brandon

:) Specialized makes good bikes, one of my buddies has a FSR 120, it's a sweet rig. Personally I would spend more $$$ and get the FSR COMP DISC. It has the Avid Juicy hydraulic disc brakes, which are superior to V-Brakes. If you want to upgrade later to discs , it will cost you at least $300, and that would be for Avid Mechanicals and a decent disc wheelset from a catalog, and doing your own installation.

mountainz said:
:) Specialized makes good bikes, one of my buddies has a FSR 120, it's a sweet rig. Personally I would spend more $$$ and get the FSR COMP DISC. It has the Avid Juicy hydraulic disc brakes, which are superior to V-Brakes. If you want to upgrade later to discs , it will cost you at least $300, and that would be for Avid Mechanicals and a decent disc wheelset from a catalog, and doing your own installation.
Actually, the Pro does have disc breaks... they are mechanical but high end. I think I actually like the mechanical disc breaks better, especially since I do a lot of riding in the sun and hot weather and my friend, who has hydraulics, said his can be a bit unreliable at times.

CaRoller1 said:
Actually, the Pro does have disc breaks... they are mechanical but high end. I think I actually like the mechanical disc breaks better, especially since I do a lot of riding in the sun and hot weather and my friend, who has hydraulics, said his can be a bit unreliable at times.
:eek: I guess I was looking at the wrong bike on the Specialized website. I have a couple of Santa Cruz Mtb's that I ride, a Blur and a Superlight. I have Avid mech. discs on both of them, a huge upgrade from the V-brakes that were on both bikes.- Jim from Santa Cruz

Hey,

From the description of your riding style, a lot people around here would recommend a hart-tail.

We're in north florida and don't happen to have too many downhills :p

For your price range you can get an awesome hard tail with some great components.

As far as comfort goes; are you sure it's the bike that's beating you up? I'm only suggesting looking into a new saddle and possibly switching up your cockpit configuration.

Since we have a lot of flat country here, a lot of guys get razzed for riding full suspension unless they're jumping up onto and off of picnic tables and such. I dunno, I guess it's all up to you.

If you do decide to go the full suspension route, make sure you get a quality rear shoke that preferrably has a lock out for those uphills (without it, you loose a lot of power on your pedal strokes).

I have a Specialized stumpjumper hardtail and it rocks. I totally love it. Stock from the shop it wieghed 23.8 lbs (w/ RockShox SID fork). It takes me on the pavement, dirt roads, and technical singletrack without a fuss.

I think that a hard tail would be your least expensive route. Make sure that it has a good fork, not a low end cheap one. $1700.00 would get a top of the line Gary Fisher or Trek. Giant makes some nice bikes. Santa Cruz are also nice. If you ride on the rodes get a tire that is a semi slick. Look at the Michelin Jet S. Adding a suspension seat post may also be an option. Hope this helps.

Ended up buying the FSR XC Pro last week and love it. Full suspension is AMAZING, especially for downhills on firetrails and other dirt roads... even on pavement is makes a big difference and is MUCH more comfortable than by previous hardtail... and with the front and rear lock-outs I can make it a 'pseudo-hardtail' anytime I want... hence the best of both worlds. Highly recommended!!