Need recommendations on how to recover quickly from running to cycling

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by jmocallaghan, Oct 7, 2006.

1. jmocallaghan

jmocallaghan New Member

Ok, sounds like a running question but really is cycling based. My job requires me to run between 2-6 miles two to three times a week. Problem is when I do the 6.2m/10k run on a Thursday (about 7 minute miles) I hit saturday and my legs ar e still trashed and I lack the ability to really put any hard anerobic efforts in. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to keep the muscles fresh? If I am able to lay off the running for the better part of the week, when it comes to Saturday and Sunday, I can rock. Guess it's good for the cyclocross portion of my season but not the rest of it.

:D

Tags:

2. hlolli

hlolli New Member

Steroids? :)

No, when I have to recover fast then I torture myself to drink a High5 pure protein, I mix it with a yogurt/milk product and use three spoons and out comes disguting turbidity but it is too good for you and I do it 1-3 times per day in a quick recovery, I might be a bit of woman when it comes to eating rather then take things like a man but thads another story. Protein works for me, but it might not work for you. The ultra best is to relax and let your self be lazy no stress=lower rest pulse=quicker recovery.

3. jeff828

jeff828 New Member

Try backing off the intensity when running. If you beat the muscles up running to hard then it will be hard to recover them. I eat a high carb meal, like pasta to replenish the glucose and I also take 2-3 asprin afterwards, it helps take some of the inflamation out of the muscles.

4. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

What's your job and why do you have to run the 10k?

5. mnizz

mnizz New Member

After you run make sure that you stretch, also ice baths help a lot. Fill up a bath tub with cold water and ice to get it around 55 degrees, stay in that from 10-15 minutes and you will feel alot better the next day. If you can get into a whirlpool wit the same temp and same time, but the bubbles going, it seems to work better also. Another thing you can do is called a contrast bath which would be 7 minutes in an ice bath, then jump into a hot bath for about 5 minutes, then back in the ice for the last 7 minutes. Another thing which helps your muscles recover is eat within 30-45 minutes of completing your workout. This is when your body needs to replace what you lost during your run. My favorite post workout meal is a nice fruit smoothie, it has a good blend of carbs and protiens, as well as added vitamins from the fruits and natural antioxidants. Another good recovery drink is chocolate milk because it has the perfect ratio of carbs to protein, which is like 4:1 or something i cant think of if off the top of my head right now. You can also do all this stuff after your biking workouts to maximize your recovery. Hope this helps.
    Edit: I use this all the time because im a runner.

6. jmocallaghan

jmocallaghan New Member

I am a paratrooper with the US Army.

7. jmocallaghan

jmocallaghan New Member

Do you know what specifically it is about running that beats up our riding ability? I am not running too fast, somewhere around 6 minute miles on the shorter 2-4 milers and 7:20 on the 10ks. I've taken your advice on the asprin and carbs this AM after the run.

8. mrklein

mrklein New Member

I have had the same problem and agree with the solutions provided by others: advil after the run, protein soon after finishing and stretching. The local running shoe store suggested that I run more often at lower intensity so that the efforts that are now leaving you so beat down become a smaller percentage of your total running schedule and hopefully less damaging. It seems to help if you can do an easy ride after running. Note that Lance Armstrong said last week that he finds running very difficult and that he has a lot of soreness.

9. jeff828

jeff828 New Member

Yep, just got velonews today & LA says running beats him up quite a bit, guess its inevitable that running takes its toll on the muscles, unless your a tri or ironman athlete.

10. hmhamilton

hmhamilton New Member

I'm just curious, how long have you been running? I would suggest taking a look at your running stride to make sure you have the proper form. Slow your pace down a bit on the longer runs. Since you have Fridays off from running, your legs shouldn't be 'trashed' on Saturday, unless you are overdoing it. Try slowing down a bit for a few weeks as well as the recovery suggestions people in this thread have made. Make sure you have running shoes that fit you properly - this is critical. Over time your legs should adjust to the intensity of your workouts, but if they can't keep up, you need to back off a bit until they can keep up with you!

11. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

I agree.

Even the op will probably adapt to it, just like tri athletes do.

12. rjdirgo

rjdirgo New Member

Try a glass of milk mixed with a scoop of whey protein mix soon after your run. The sooner the better.

13. kuan

kuan New Member

Try a cold soak in 60 degree water for as long as you can stand it, NSAIDS, and a recovery drink. 7's is pretty fast for 10k, 90th percentile I'd say. You're "trashed" because you're basically time trialing yourself every week without training for it. Basically your 10k is a race, your shorter runs at faster pace are intervals or tempo. You're missing the basic 4-5 mile volume training runs which prepares you for your 6 mile races.

Then you're going hard on Saturday and Sunday. That's two interval/tempo runs, one TT, and two hard rides on the weekend. You can't go hard all the time!